X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skye X
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Also taking recommendations for good vegetarian places!
    As the resident Bay Area vegan, I got this. Here's a list I maintain of vegan, vegetarian, and veg-friendly places in the SF Bay Area.

http://bitly.com/veganoms

And please, just Skye is fine.

Comment

• sinnedk
      Banned
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Skye X View Post
      I'll choose Blue Bottle every time. Since I'm in the east bay anyway, I go directly to the roastery near Jack London square. It's far and away the best coffee (both drip and espresso) I've ever had.
      drink blue bottle everyday actually

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
      I hang out with foodies and geeks, and Philz is not on anyone's radar any more. It just doesn't compete at the level of some of the other places. It's a fine cup of coffee, but not an interesting one.

Philz is still super popular as it's a reliable, quick, good cup of coffee available in many locations. But, please, do yourself a favor, and try a good coffee from the clover at ritual, or a single cup drip from the side table at four barrel, or something well done from blue bottle before you declare philz the end-all.

There are Burger Kings with 5 stars on yelp. Nothing more to add.
      actually buddy i know quiet a lot about coffee and as mentioned before drink blue bottle regularly, philz is a good tasting coffee but it is sugared up and flavored, nevertheless tasty

as far as your yelp comment, see here: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...sco%2C+CA&ns=1
      in sf we dont rate our BKs 5 star,

whats with everyone not liking yelp?

Comment

• gavagai
        • May 2010

yelp is useful - obviously reading the comments and reviews is smart.

pointing to the "rating" as a sign of something being superior than something else is what the problem is here.

Comment

• sinnedk
          Banned
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
          yelp is useful - obviously reading the comments and reviews is smart.

pointing to the "rating" as a sign of something being superior than something else is what the problem is here.
          the ratings are there to make sense of the data and they do allow determinations of what is good or bad, although people can choose for themselves, the ratings still end up being an accurate representation of what is good or bad,

just try all 3 coffee places that we've talked about and let us know which you liked, honestly all places will be good

Comment

• darkbydesign
            • Sep 2010

I don't drink coffee, but the constant word is definitely about Blue Bottle. Try the little stand alone one on Linden in Hayes Valley (assuming it's still there)

If you go out (via the Harlet suggestion) try the following (even if you don't drink these places are fun):

1. Public Works on Eerie/Mission - club
            2. Beatbox on Harrison/9th? - club
            3. 222 Hyde on some nights - club/bar
            4. Hole in the Wall Bar on Folsom (punk music and random gay crowd - which isn't a shot to anyone's masculinity in San Francisco)
            5. Knock Knock - dive bar
            6. Bourbon and Branch (best list of drinks you'll have in US in my opinion) - speakeasy
            7. Zeitgeist - Beer Garden
            8. Holy Cow - Sunday night's Honey Sound System

Comment

• Skye X
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
              I don't drink coffee, but the constant word is definitely about Blue Bottle. Try the little stand alone one on Linden in Hayes Valley (assuming it's still there)

If you go out (via the Harlet suggestion) try the following (even if you don't drink these places are fun):

1. Public Works on Eerie/Mission - club
              2. Beatbox on Harrison/9th? - club
              3. 222 Hyde on some nights - club/bar
              4. Hole in the Wall Bar on Folsom (punk music and random gay crowd - which isn't a shot to anyone's masculinity in San Francisco)
              5. Knock Knock - dive bar
              6. Bourbon and Branch (best list of drinks you'll have in US in my opinion) - speakeasy
              7. Zeitgeist - Beer Garden
              8. Holy Cow - Sunday night's Honey Sound System
              I don't drink, and I can second most of these - B&B, Beatbox, and Holy Cow I've never been to. DNA Lounge, Cat Club, 1015, and Temple are all fun too.

My favorite bar in SF is Bender's. Punk rock and fried food, the best bar food I've ever had, actually, and a lot more of it is vegan than anywhere else, so it's on my food list that I mentioned earlier. And they have punk rock karaoke on the last Friday of every month.

If you're a tea fan, Om Shan Tea is a lovely, quiet spot to sit and think or read, and Samovar is quite good as well.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                • Sep 2010

^^Very true on Benders (I knew I was forgetting something) and also the tea suggestions!

Comment

• Icarium
                  • Oct 2010

Anyone who takes Yelp as gospel is... well do as you want I suppose. I use Yelp the same way as rottentomatoes... as a rough estimator or somewhere to start when I have no context at all.

It is vaguely impressive when a place has 4+ stars with 300+ reviews, but again even that isn't full proof. I mean it's pretty well known that Yelp has several pricing structures where they will nuke or allow you to nuke your negative reviews. If that alone doesn't make you take their ratings with a grain of salt well... again do as you want :) I care not.

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

How can you not love Bender's?

I do fancy more often than I should, but Bender's, Dalva Hideout, and Whiskey Thieves are my staples.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Soooo, about that get-together. I will be here :-)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Is this going to be a menswear and womenswear event? It looks like I'll have to drag myself over there.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• trompel'oeil
                          • Mar 2012

If you ever find yourself downtown in need of lunch, Sushirrito @ 59 New Montgomery Street is awesome. Someone mentioned Dolores Park as well, I definitely second that. If you hike up to the top right corner of the park you'll get an amazing view of the city.

Comment

• sinnedk
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by trompel'oeil View Post
                            If you ever find yourself downtown in need of lunch, Sushirrito @ 59 New Montgomery Street is awesome. Someone mentioned Dolores Park as well, I definitely second that. If you hike up to the top right corner of the park you'll get an amazing view of the city.
                            new montgomery and dolores park are not walking distance fyi

Comment

• trentk
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Soooo, about that get-together. I will be here :-)
                              As will I.
                              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• trompel'oeil
                                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by sinnedk View Post
                                new montgomery and dolores park are not walking distance fyi
                                Thank god for BART..or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎