Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • copacetic
    • Nov 2010

NEXT Restaurant is almost up and running. Beautiful photos in the Times.
    And "When the prince has gathered about him
    "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/dining/16next.html

NEXT Restaurant is almost up and running. Beautiful photos in the Times.
      i check FB/twitter and eagerly watch my e-mail for this daily.

I would be more than happy to make another Achatz pilgrimage to Chicago. Dinner at Next, drinks at Aviary.... it would be incredible.
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• copacetic
        • Nov 2010

This first season of NEXT is bound to be great...but I can't wait until they get to futurist Hong Kong...at least I believe that's still in the plan.

How will Achatz and Co. guess at what we'll all be eating in thirty years? The strongest commentary will probably be in what proteins they choose to include and not include. By that time, a lot of seafood will be depleted...and Hong Kong cuisine is really seafood-heavy. Hmm...
        And "When the prince has gathered about him
        "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

there's a feature on the new 5-volume series "Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking" on NYT.

this is supposed to be the ultimate cookbook. the pictures are out of this world. some of the best food still lifes i've ever seen. and i thought the ones from charlie trotter were good..

The photography in the encyclopedic new book is an arresting mix of stunning images and clear-eyed illustration.

Comment

• MoFiya
            • Sep 2007

^ thanks for that - pictures are indeed amazing.
            Was wrong to send the link to my dad though (the scientific chef in our family, my mom and me just prefer to cook). Guess what he just pre-ordered
            I have dreams of orca whales and owls
            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• sinbad
              • Dec 2009

Cafe prana in Osaka

ART IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT, NOT WHAT OTHERS TELL YOU IT IS.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                there's a feature on the new 5-volume series "Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking" on NYT.

this is supposed to be the ultimate cookbook. the pictures are out of this world. some of the best food still lifes i've ever seen. and i thought the ones from charlie trotter were good..

The photography in the encyclopedic new book is an arresting mix of stunning images and clear-eyed illustration.

So, should I pull out one of the last New Yorker's out of my recycle bin and read the article on it?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
                  • Aug 2008

is the article available online? I kinda wanna read it... almost choked when I saw the price tag on the modernist cuisine book- I was really hoping to get one :(

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by munch View Post
                    is the article available online? I kinda wanna read it... almost choked when I saw the price tag on the modernist cuisine book- I was really hoping to get one :(
                    here you go.

I fished it our and read - fun, but definitely for professionals only. I just kept thinking - man, we (society) are geeky.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

thank you very much. I love being geeky, and I still want these books...

very good article! it does kind of seem a little like it's one big advertisement for the restaurants that does what most people can't do at home... nothing bad with it, I don't mind promotion of modern cooking and evolution of it.

but I really really need to get a sous-vide rig going

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                        • Jan 2007

a lot of the sous vide stuff can be done with a large pot of water that is kept at a steady temperature. that takes some trial and error but it's doable to keep the water within +/- 2 degrees of the desired temperature, and if it gets too hot just pour over some cold water and stir (too cold isn't a big deal obviously). instead of vacuum sealing it you can just use ziploc bags. of course it's not as precise and takes a lot more effort, but i've done some great duck that way for example.
                        Originally posted by jogu
                        i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

i really like sous vide prepared foods but i can't be bothered with the equipment and bags..

i just made the most fantastic meal using my favourite piece of equipment..the cast iron skillet.

seared head-on mayan shrimp marinated with garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil. put that on the scorching pan while i nibble on salad and wine.

then while i'm sucking the head-fat out of the shrimp, i sear a cod filet marinated in soy, ginger, salt, pepper.
                          cooked in the same hot pan with the charred bits from the shrimp. finished the top side in the broiler..

i never eat cod from some reason (like i never eat salmon) and this time it was slightly undercooked. the center tasted like crab. it was fantastic..

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I used to cook cod all the time. Now got tired and switched to mahi-mahi. Now reading all these articles how we are overfishing - shit is depressing. You know, we used to eat whatever the fuck we wanted - now eating has become some kind of a cross we bear.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                              i really like sous vide prepared foods but i can't be bothered with the equipment and bags...
                              For quicker preparations (under 2 hours) or ones where I really don't want pressure (like burgers) I just use a ziplock bag with no air. Simple, quicker, works well.
                              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• munch
                                • Aug 2008

damn hippies.

I might be getting a sous-vide supreme as a gift for doing well in school. what a spoiled brat I am. wohoo

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎