X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

let them eat cupcake
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

starting 3/28, if you are not a print subscriber to NYT print edition, they will charge you a minimum of:

$15/month, $180/year to read the times online + smartphone app.
      $20/month, $240/year to read the times online + tablet app
      $35/month, $420/year to read on all platforms..

Comment

• HWith
        • May 2007

I actually took the time to comment on one of his 'must have this xxxxxx'-posts questioning his motives and got a pagelong very polite reply. Too bad it's rubbish, I'm afraid I might be too lazy to pick his arguments apart. I have failed to inspire him to think about what he is doing, but I don't know how I could expect anything but faliure. Besides, I doubt it's worth my time, and he seems to be enjoying himself, so why bother.

Originally posted by morsto View Post
        HWith, I had a similar experience not so long ago, probably some of the same blogs including the one from the picture (which is one of the worst I've seen, this guy is fucking terrible). On some of them in their "Inspiration" posts I even found pictures from SZ waywt and it made me super sad. The cph fashion week is swarmed with this exact type; they hype the exact same clothes, restaurants etc. and all look alike in the same trendy fast fashion rubbish, which is only trendy cause they hype it up themselves. It's like a sewing circle for people without personalities and I would never attend anything fashion related locally knowing I would have to deal with the "today I ate a cupcake" morons. This turned out to be a bit more of a rant than I wanted it to be but oh well.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          /\ agreed. I'd also like the anti-nuclear power arguments to be held back until this thing is (hopefully) finished (hopefully safely, relatively speaking), to allow a proper, and respectful, non-opportunistic, debate.
          It's tricky in the US. As soon as things started going wrong, lobbyists hired by the nuclear industry started writing checks to politicians and making strawman arguments ignoring renewable energy.

Ideally, yes, we would deal with the fallout before discussing things, but, here at least, the conversation starts when the checks start being written. They have already started, so the options are "sit back and let lobbyists make the entire conversation" or "start a debate too early."

No graceful option, in my opinion.

EDIT: And, Faust, I think I actually had something miserable for breakfast, a protein shake. I was just joking about HWith's post.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kuriz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HWith View Post
            One of my friends sent me a link to a fashion blog last night and I ended up following links to several other blogs. I am shocked about the amount of horribly written 'run way reviews', hyped up trash, ridiculous WAYWTs and useless posts such "today I ate a croissant for breakfest, it was amazing". Even worse, people actually take the time to read and comment on that crap.

Seriously...
            (not linking the picture aswell, no reason to do so).
            Yeah I agree. Some of my female friends also read a bunch of these blogs and now that most of them are studying at the university etc. it makes sense for them to read blogs where women/girls find good things at reasonable prices in 'ordinary' shops (H&M, Zara, you name it) and put them together. One of them, though, linked me that same blog a few days ago and I was absolutely stunned.
            I know that most SZers follow a somewhat same "path", but I believe that the term 'fashion' is a subject to be discussed and interpreted. When that is said I have to completely agree on the runway review part. For my part a lot of time during the Copenhagen Fashion Week one and a half month ago, was spend on reading different websites, watching clips on the internet and of course blogs to see what was going on. But those reviews....or what ever you want to call them. Its just...so biased in a way (don't think I can explain it proper english).
            People are entitled to have their opinion and thats okay. But those reviews give absolutely nothing. There are no perspective, no history and no comparison with any real substance. Its nothing but 'bla bla bla' and that can be alright in some cases. It would, nonetheless, (one spell that in one long word?) be nice with some more quality to things in general.

- my two cents

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
              starting 3/28, if you are not a print subscriber to NYT print edition, they will charge you a minimum of:

$15/month, $180/year to read the times online + smartphone app.
              $20/month, $240/year to read the times online + tablet app
              $35/month, $420/year to read on all platforms..

http://www.nytimes.com/subscriptions...ct/lp0145.html
              I can understand them charging money to access content and hope that it will raise the quality of their content, but discriminating by platform is ridiculous. The article doesn't even mention that there is another completely different subscription model for e-reader devices.

Is it really that hard to have a single non-print subscription that works on any device?
              Originally posted by jogu
              i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

knicks rollin tonight...................
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                  I can understand them charging money to access content and hope that it will raise the quality of their content, but discriminating by platform is ridiculous. The article doesn't even mention that there is another completely different subscription model for e-reader devices.

Is it really that hard to have a single non-print subscription that works on any device?
                  Good summary of the muddle that is their pricing scheme, and why it's not so great:

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                    • Jan 2007

^ the most amazing thing in that article is that apparently the NYT spent $40m to create the paywall. that just can't be right. on the tech side, one developer could do it in a couple of weeks, if not days. where did the other $39.99m go?
                    Originally posted by jogu
                    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                      ^ the most amazing thing in that article is that apparently the NYT spent $40m to create the paywall. that just can't be right. on the tech side, one developer could do it in a couple of weeks, if not days. where did the other $39.99m go?
                      On corporate meetings, duh.

I can get behind 15 bucks a month. It's not that much to pay for quality journalism.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        I can get behind 15 bucks a month. It's not that much to pay for quality journalism.
                        Agreed.
                        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• syed
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by HWith View Post
                          One of my friends sent me a link to a fashion blog last night and I ended up following links to several other blogs. I am shocked about the amount of horribly written 'run way reviews', hyped up trash, ridiculous WAYWTs and useless posts such "today I ate a croissant for breakfest, it was amazing". Even worse, people actually take the time to read and comment on that crap.

Seriously...
                          I think blogging can be a legitimate platform for discussion, however I do feel it has become over-saturated, particularly (in the UK at any rate) with the high street and lower end brands cottoning on to the power of social media. A vast majority of blogs read like one PR release after another, with the writers not really stating an opinion past "This is so cute", and "They gave me this for free". I have met quite popular bloggers who will openly admit that "I try to get all the free stuff I can", which really saddened me. Most just want to be popular and get invited to shows. You get that type in every walk of life, it is just more noticeable where fashion is concerned I suppose.

I am rather tired of a million and one girls with DSLRs using macro lenses and standing pigeon-toed in Acne wedges.
                          "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• kuugaia
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by nictan View Post
                            amazing. their culture is admirable.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/jun-sh...50121176733830
                            I felt like I really wanted to post this note from Japan because people from all over can really relate.

'It was cold and I was getting very weary waiting forever for the train to come. Some homeless people saw me, gave me some of their own cardboard boxes and saying “you’ll be warmer if you sit on these!” I have always walked by homeless people pretending I didn’t see them, and yet here they were offering me warmth. Such warm people. '

Comment

• mononon
                              • Sep 2009

just updated my itouch last night and about to go for a run when lo and behold, it resetted to factory settings.

now i gotta wait like 30 minutes for my songs to synch
                              calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Spencer
                                • Feb 2007

I feel like such a stalker sometimes. Whenever I see pnod posted, regardless of the thread, I have to look and see what he said.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎