X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbydesign
    • Sep 2010

San Francisco

I've lived here in SF for a few years now and while there are great fashion stores like The Archive, I rarely find any cultural fashion events and/or sample sales etc.

Anyone have any pointers on how to find knowledge on upcoming events in the Bay Area? Or-are there none?

DxD
  • sargon97
    • Jan 2009

Most of the stuff I see going on is the DIY / local designer / trunk show sort of stuff. I assume thats not your thing.

Other than that, the De Young has some nice exhibitions from time to time. I think they currently have an exhibitions on textiles.

San Francisco is great for cultural things in general, but not so much for high fashion.

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

SF is good for burritos..

Comment

• thehouseofdis
        • Jan 2010

This is sad. I may be moving to San Francisco for work and I hope it's not truly disappointing. At least there are art galleries and concerts but I don't know of any of any shop that stocks Demeulemeester for men. There are some dance clubs that are good and excellent food but it still may be a struggle.
        THE HOUSE OF DIS
        embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• sargon97
          • Jan 2009

Ann is stocked at Barneys. Not sure what you mean by struggle, there's tons of stuff to do in SF.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Why are you said, Dis? You are moving out of the land of fleece and teva.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Why are you said, Dis? You are moving out of the land of fleece and teva.
              I'm not sad to be possibly moving. It's just sad that no one seems to know of things going on in San Francisco. I'm being considered for a retail design job there that I really want. I just wish it was in New York, or Amsterdam or Tokyo, or some other great city that wasn't so similar to Portland and Seattle. At least there is more to do and see there. It's just not one of my favorite cities and they still have their share of fleece and Tevas.

When did Barneys open a store in S.F.? I've never seen one there. Good to know though.
              Last edited by thehouseofdis; 10-25-2010, 07:29 PM.
              THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• whitney
                • Dec 2009

sf is definitely not as packed as new York or Tokyo--but even the bloomingdales here carried Ann d for mens (been awhile since I've been to the fourth floor) and the men section at barneys isn't too shabby (they opened maybe two years ago?)

It's kinda quiet here--who knows, you might make a connection that allows you to fly elsewhere. my friend whose from Malaysia recently got a job offer in Singapore and she's hoping for an offer to Malaysia after her contract in Singapore is up, so you never know but at least get out there :)
                you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                  • Jan 2010

Yeah, at least it is one of the cities in the US that I like and I have some friends there. So, it's a good move in general. Also, the company I'm interviewing with has offices in NYC, Tokyo, London, and a few other locations that would be future possibilities. I should know in a couple of weeks.
                  THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• darkbydesign
                    • Sep 2010

Hey there Dis.

Don't get me wrong. SF is a fantastic city to live in. I moved here from the East and from Colorado after my PhD. There is great symphony, good opera, good art, more raves than I could ever attend, more dubstep than Burning Man....more Burning Man events than Burning Man, lots of super smart people, more street fashion than you'll ever experience, more free street fairs than any place I've ever seen, flash mobs, Santa Con, Dolores Park, GG Park, nude beaches, leather bars, Folsom Fair, Love Parade, Gay Pride, SF Giants World Series, biotech and dot com cash with lots of nice cars floating the streets, fantastic food at half the NYC dime, and fun fun fun........but........as far as I can tell, it's one weakness is High Fashion.

Although, The Archive probably has better clothing than any other place I've been to, including places in NYC and individual boutiques. Barney's isn't so bad either and since it's not NYC, when things go on sale, they really go ON SALE! ;) If we could have good weather and runway shows with some sample shows in the mix, SF would be perfect! haha

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                      • Jan 2010

Good to hear. I really shouldn't be worried about shopping anyway. I live in Portland where there is almost no high fashion and I've managed to acquire quite a collection. I'm am looking forward to the art shows, concerts and dance clubs (though I'm not into raves). The weather doesn't bother me either.
                      Last edited by thehouseofdis; 10-26-2010, 10:01 PM.
                      THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

There are a MASSIVE number of clubs here in SF. It seems as if there's one literally on every block, so let me know what you're into music wise and I'll give ya some recommendations.

You'll enjoy SF!

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                          • Jan 2010

Thanks dbd. My friend DJs a monthly Morrissey/Smiths night. It's been going on for a few years now. Don't ask me how.
                          THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

congratulations SF GIANTS..

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

fuck yeah!
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎