X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

If I'm not mistaken her face is simply being distorted by clear masking tape.

Poell only considers the body as volume, a three dimensional form. He doesn't consider the identity of the wearer and in fact wants to strip away the identity of the model and focus the attention on the garments rather than the person wearing them. This was done in a previous collection by completely covering the face.
    IMO in this case it's similar. The 'scars' echoing the stitching, is a reflection of this attitude - the garment is more important than the wearer, so much so that he's prepared to 'disfigure' her image to maintain aesthetic continuity.

This is not to say that Poell does not want wearers to inject their own personality when wearing his garments, but he wants this personality to come from the wearer themselves, not from the model wearing his garments in a lookbook.

Thanks for the pics, Kev. Would love to see what else you've got!
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

i find the sellotape over the face thing to be really third rate. it's the kind of thing undergraduates do when they're out on the piss, for a laugh. it's really clumsy. moreoever, it doesn't create annonimity, in the sense of allowing us to focus on the clothes - it makes us look at the disfigured woman modelling them. it doesn't seem to be celebrating different-ness or imperfection in the way that Galliano did, it's just a bit of gratuitous fake scarring. it may echo the scarring on the clothes, but why?

Comment

• Chant
        Banned
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Chant View Post

More interesting is imo the echo between the pleats of the dress and these of the armpit.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

You have a good eye, Chant
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• maldoror
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            i find the sellotape over the face thing to be really third rate. it's the kind of thing undergraduates do when they're out on the piss, for a laugh. it's really clumsy.

douglas gordon - monster reborn

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

yeah, i hate that piece...in some ways gordon has made a princely sum doing third rate work, especially the body of work with his hands fucking each other or whatever bore it was. when on however, he is a master.
              Last edited by philip nod; 02-09-2009, 10:16 AM. Reason: carol hates women but cant elaborate
              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

Yes I agree with that re Gordon. I saw his big retrosepctive in Avignon in the sunmmer, which I enjoyed on the whole, but some of it is very banal. however, don't know what you'd consider on form philip, but i loved the big elephants videos, kind of mesmerising.

Comment

• Chant
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by pniddy
                  yeah i feel that simply put, and i think i said this before, carol hates women. his work seeks to destroy a women beauty and isolate and disfigure her attractiveness. thats poorly put, but if theres a side of the mountain to fall on, it aint the one that wants to make a woman more beautiful. i guess i'm trying to say that with the menswear its about fucking with the clothes rarely about fucking with the model and the clothes. the womenwears seems designed to incorporate a tortured look and person. maybe somebody can help me say what i'm trying to say, i've never known quite how to put it
                  Blacksuit whispers, surprised, to my ear : does fucking the model not implicate to remove her clothes ?

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

such more for erasing my post
                    i didn't say fucking the model, which i'm sure carol is n't interested in.
                    fucking with the model.

and i love that gordon elephant installation.
                    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Chant
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2008

CCP is an Austrian fellow. He learnt at least something from the Aktionismus :

I don't care about CCP' personal feelings about women, I'm interested in his design/art, and I wouldn't say that the woman in not attractive.
                      The way is transformed her face reminds me of Joseh-Jospehine, the half-man half-woman freak in Tod Brownings' movie.
                      Last edited by Chant; 02-09-2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

I really hate the women's stuff. There is something deeply misogynistic and hateful about all of it...no thanks, Carol.
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                          I really hate the women's stuff. There is something deeply misogynistic and hateful about all of it...no thanks, Carol.
                          This is eactly what I think, but thought that it might be patronising to point it out. I think, to be fair, Carol realised he was rubbish at it, so he stopped, but i have no idea where he thought he was going with it.

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chant View Post
                            I don't care about CCP' personal feelings about women, I'm interested in his design/art.
                            I don't understand how you can separate these things, in this case (if ever, in fashion?). He clearly designs very differently for women than for men, which makes the issue of sex unavoidable.

Did not see your erased post before, pnod, but i think we are on the same page...
                            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                              I don't understand how you can separate these things, in this case (if ever, in fashion?).
                              I'd like to hear this.

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                This is eactly what I think, but thought that it might be patronising to point it out. I think, to be fair, Carol realised he was rubbish at it, so he stopped, but i have no idea where he thought he was going with it.
                                I hope you're right. But then, I also remember reading in an interview that he thinks women only care about making their bums look smaller. A [surprisingly] dumb comment from such a thoughtful designer...

edit: maybe we need another thread for this then, johnny

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎