• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XenoX101
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Nikov View Post
    these are the last two outfits on the waywt thread

do those look interchangeable to you? you assume that everyone here dresses similarly simply because some designers are more favored.
    Well no, not those particularly, but as far as interchangeable looks go, here are some very recent ones. Again, I'm not saying this is bad, just as a point of interest. I also am intentionally neglecting the subtle details, because I want to see it as a whole, as a theme/style and the overall feel of the look, my argument is that there seems to be a lot of outfits in the same genre, not whether they are in different sub genres (a good example is jazz music, while there are many sub genres, they all still fall under 'jazz' and if for example someone was to only listen to jazz [any subgenre], they would be considered somewhat constrained/limited as far as diversity goes, upside of this ofcourse being that they usually become more expert in the field)

Long slightly oversized cardigan, skinny jeans, boots - black or next to

Black jacket, jeans, boots

similarly worn jeans, boots sans black jacket

tight leather jacket, jeans, boots

same sans boots

This was from last month and while it may not seem like much, there aren't a lot of fits posted here in comparison to other forums and I think I picked out about 1/3 of the fits, maybe a bit more.

Comment

• dji
      • Feb 2008

E do we really need this?

Comment

• beardown
        rekoner
        • Feb 2009

Xenox,
        Your problem is that you've no concept of nuance or subtlety. Those two aspect are what make everything exactly what they are whether it's music, literature or fashion.
        You don't get it. Period.
        It's not the forum that's singular minded, it's that you completely don't understand the concept of what's being discussed here.

How about the idea of like minded people gathering to discuss what they're passionate about?

I mean, are you going to go on sufu and suggest that everyone wears jeans, t-shirts and sneakers? How about all jeans are the same because thy all have 2 legs and are made from denim? Or all sneakers are the same because they have laces?
        That's exactly what I'm hearing from you.
        You're on the outside looking into something you don't really get and as a result, your points are really moot.
        Material
        cut
        color
        construction
        texture
        personal style....
        These are all things you clearly can't comprehend or process.
        I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right...I'm saying you're discussing something you clearly don't have much experience with.
        I wouldn't log onto a forum about hot rods and challenge people about that.
        If you came here looking for answers, then I've just given you some.

And you're welcome.
        It's not defensiveness...it's aggravation of presenting a primer to someone who doesn't really seem genuinely interested in learning so much as just debating.
        Originally posted by mizzar
        Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• polishmike
          • Jan 2007

Someone has to find Xenox guide to fingering. This shit was gold.
          I wish his mega-thread from sufu wasn't deleted.

Comment

• Tyro
            • Nov 2008

This forum is for people with an interest in a particular niche of fashion. People here are interested in similar things, that is why they are here.

Would you post a queation on a Jazz forum along the lines of "hey guys how does it feel to all like the same music?"

No.

Comment

• XenoX101
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by beardown View Post
              Xenox,
              Your problem is that you've no concept of nuance or subtlety. Those two aspect are what make everything exactly what they are whether it's music, literature or fashion.
              You don't get it. Period.
              It's not the forum that's singular minded, it's that you completely don't understand the concept of what's being discussed here.

How about the idea of like minded people gathering to discuss what they're passionate about?

I mean, are you going to go on sufu and suggest that everyone wears jeans, t-shirts and sneakers? How about all jeans are the same because thy all have 2 legs and are made from denim? Or all sneakers are the same because they have laces?
              That's exactly what I'm hearing from you.
              You're on the outside looking into something you don't really get and as a result, your points are really moot.
              Material
              cut
              color
              construction
              texture
              personal style....
              These are all things you clearly can't comprehend or process.
              I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right...I'm saying you're discussing something you clearly don't have much experience with.
              I wouldn't log onto a forum about hot rods and challenge people about that.
              If you came here looking for answers, then I've just given you some.

And you're welcome.
              It's not defensiveness...it's aggravation of presenting a primer to someone who doesn't really seem genuinely interested in learning so much as just debating.
              I mentioned this in my previous post, saying.. "I also am intentionally neglecting the subtle details, because I want to see it as a whole, as a theme/style and the overall feel of the look, my argument is that there seems to be a lot of outfits in the same genre, not whether they are in different sub genres"

Material, cut, color, construction and texture to me are secondary to the last point you mentioned, personal style. I very much appreciate the gorgeous materials and pleasant sharp cuts of the clothing posted here, but the personal style of the wearer and the persona he is pushing with his clothing is to me lacking, in spite of all the little details.

Originally posted by Tyro View Post
              This forum is for people with an interest in a particular niche of fashion. People here are interested in similar things, that is why they are here.

Would you post a queation on a Jazz forum along the lines of "hey guys how does it feel to all like the same music?"

No.
              This is a good point, I believe SZ is a fashion forum, one about different styles of dress, not just a singular style or a small subset of styles, so I think a more apt example would be on posing this question on a music (all genres) forum where everyone is discussing jazz, a parallel to the point I am making.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                • Mar 2009

This is a good point, I believe SZ is a fashion forum, one about different styles of dress, not just a singular style or a small subset of styles, so I think a more apt example would be on posing this question on a music (all genres) forum where everyone is discussing jazz, a parallel to the point I am making.
                This is where you're mistaken.

SZ is not an "all genres" fashion forum. It is obviously not meant to be so. People here have a taste for the same designers, because they see them as the most apt to embody a certain perception of the world as it goes.

I wonder what kind of "diversity" you would have expected to find here. Discussions about streetwear ? Savile Rows tailoring ? How can't you see how far those two examples are from the preoccupations of the people here ? This forum is what it is because it develops accordingly to a coherent universe in terms of aesthetics - and that goes probably beyond that.

Diversity for the sake of it isn't of any appeal to me. I have much more respect for people whose interests are scarce but deep. To stick to the music comparison, I could perfectly understand someone who would exclusively listen to beethoven's piano works in different interpretations. On the other hand, I personaly consider people listening to a wide spectrum of musics - from Madonna to Fauré's Requiem - as ultimately superficial and boring.
                Last edited by Mail-Moth; 09-05-2009, 03:20 AM.
                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
                  E do we really need this?
                  Actually, I kinda like it at this point, because this is eliciting interesting responses from our members. Pnod should read this thread - it will sooth his aching soul.

We should call this "In Defense of SZ."
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by XenoX101 View Post
                    I mentioned this in my previous post, saying.. "I also am intentionally neglecting the subtle details, because I want to see it as a whole, as a theme/style and the overall feel of the look, my argument is that there seems to be a lot of outfits in the same genre, not whether they are in different sub genres"

Material, cut, color, construction and texture to me are secondary to the last point you mentioned, personal style. I very much appreciate the gorgeous materials and pleasant sharp cuts of the clothing posted here, but the personal style of the wearer and the persona he is pushing with his clothing is to me lacking, in spite of all the little details.

SZ fail.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Babar
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                      Diversity for the sake of it isn't of any appeal to me. I have much more respect for people whose interests are scarce but deep. To stick to the music comparison, I could perfectly understand someone who would exclusively listen to beethoven's piano works in different interpretations. On the other hand, I personaly consider people listening to a wide spectrum of musics - from Madonna to Fauré's Requiem - as ultimately superficial and boring.
                      Now that's crazy talk. Good music is good music, regardless of the genre. I have no problem enjoying some Miles Davis, french filtered house and industrial rock on the same go.

Style is totally different to music and they can't really be compared this way imho.. It'd certainly be far more difficult to be as eclectic with regards to clothes than to music.

Originally posted by XenoX101 View Post
                      I've been lurking for a while now and this is something that's been on my mind since ever.

I'm honestly curious as to why everyone looks relatively similar in WAYWT on this forum, particularly because there's so much talk of clothing philosophy and emphasis on 'being yourself' and not conforming to a trend or scene, there's no other forum that theoretically pushes individuality more, and yet paradoxially there's no other forum with as small a diversity in WAYWT.
                      I think people here are being themselves, but the forum just attracts a certain type of guy/girl that share lots of fundamental views on style and dress, and as such influence each other pretty easily. It seems like a lot of regulars here have transformed their wardrobes pretty dramatically over the past few years.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Babar View Post
                        Now that's crazy talk. Good music is good music, regardless of the genre. I have no problem enjoying some Miles Davis, french filtered house and industrial rock on the same go.

Style is totally different to music and they can't really be compared this way imho.. It'd certainly be far more difficult to be as eclectic with regards to clothes than to music.
                        Yes, but I think I understand what M-M is saying. If you like Requiem, truly, passionately love it, not just superficially, chances are you wouldn't consider Madonna good music. I think the comparison is apt. If you love Cdiem for the philosophy of the label, and not just for a nice-fitting jacket, will you wear a Tom Ford suit? We've had this discussion many times already.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Babar View Post

That is interesting. Are you saying that style is a much more accurate manifestation of one's personality than the music one is listening to ?
                          Well, maybe style has the power to give an appearance of solidity to something that is, in fact, a lot more indecisive and blurry. Style may reflect a strongly etablished vision of ourselves, when our preferences in music are betraying, on the pretext of eclectism, our chronic unhability to stick to something and dig it to the core.

As for the crazy talk, yes, I know I say weird things sometimes, but that's just me.
                          I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                          I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Babar
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                            That is interesting. Are you saying that style is a much more accurate manifestation of one's personality than the music one is listening to ?
                            Well, maybe style has the power to give an appearance of solidity to something that is, in fact, a lot more indecisive and blurry. Style may reflect a strongly etablished vision of ourselves, when our preferences in music are betraying, on the pretext of eclectism, our chronic unhability to stick to something and dig it to the core.

As for the crazy talk, yes, I know I say weird things sometimes, but that's just me.
                            Well, I guess I feel if you take your music too seriously and stick to one type all your life you're definitely missing out. In fact it's been long since I've heard such a ridiculous notion, and most good artists I know listen to tons of different styles and draw inspiration from them. At the same time I hate the idea of music just being a "style accessory" like it seems to be with the blogger folks that go from one hype to the other, so I certainly don't advocate having a superficial relationship to music, but being proud of sticking to just one genre really reminds me of silly working class hard rock folks talk.

Comment

• Babar
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Yes, but I think I understand what M-M is saying. If you like Requiem, truly, passionately love it, not just superficially, chances are you wouldn't consider Madonna good music. I think the comparison is apt. If you love Cdiem for the philosophy of the label, and not just for a nice-fitting jacket, will you wear a Tom Ford suit? We've had this discussion many times already.
                              If the Tom Ford suit looks good you, is of high quality (which it is) and is within your reach (which it should be if you love the Cdiem philosophy) then yes you *should* be able to wear it.

I doubt a Cdiem lover could wear a Gucci logo belt, or D&G hoodie, but I'm not sure why not a Tom Ford suit of all things? Buying a RTW suit can be seen as the great litmus test of wether or not one's a label whore or not; sometimes you have to go with a different brand than you'd like to get a decent look.
                              Last edited by Babar; 09-05-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Ok, we've had this discussion too many times - I am tired of explaining the same things over and over.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎