Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierce4
    • Mar 2010

Exactly Faust, same as Rick Owens just takes a pair of sneakers and abstracts them and has the work ethic, skills and vision to realize the idea in his head.

You can look at wywt thread, read the recommendations and if you have a big enough balance on your credit card you can visit one of the affiliate boutiques and buy the clothes and they will be at your door in a few days. Swap promo codes and where to cop. Even websites dedicated to it! Fake goth is the real goth

As Marian Faithful stated in her auto biography:
    'You would ask your date, "Do you know Genet? Have you read A Rebours?" and if he said yes, then you'd fuck"

Comment

• Burlingame
      • May 2011

Originally posted by merz
      continuing on that thought, though, the early days of punk painted a very different picture from what is commonly assumed - the aesthetic was a great deal more individually-varied and had not coalesced into the popular imagery associated with such terms until some time after its heyday. it seemed like the choice in one's personal aesthetics was just as broad in those days, without so much of the self-consciousness that defines the present moment.

if anyone's interested, i've a pile of NO magazine editions from late 70s LA and a bunch more scrapbooks/photography from first-generation punks..going to be scanning the lot of it here and might post things.
      I would love to see those early punk pics. What you said is totally true (not just about the clothes, but the music too, when you had bands as varied as the Dead Boys, Patti Smith, The Ramones, and Television all falling under one catchall). The style element that everyone in the NYC punk scene shared was being broke and thrifting a lot of their clothes. They used safety pins to hold their shitty clothes together, not necessarily as accessories. Supposedly Richard Hell is most responsible for the way punk came to look, with the ripped shirts and that sort of stuff. McLaren and Westwood took that back to England and ran with it, and that's where the punk "look" really came together (think of the Sex Pistols; they look more "punk" as it's now known than The Ramones, who almost looked more like bikers). That's not related to what's NEXT, I guess, but anyway...

Looking to various subcultures to see what's next is a really good idea, in my opinion. "New" ideas don't really come out of nowhere. They gestate and coalesce gradually. Come to think of it, maybe the current popularity of the drop crotch owes as much to hip hop as to Ms. Kawakubo.

Comment

• pierce4
        • Mar 2010

I think you'll always have to look to the margins for interesting things, because they are generally ignored and no one cares. They are also excluded in someway so exist outside the mainstream. So what everyone knows and that is established now, forget it. Music, fashion, black american culture...tween girl culture, thats some fucked up shit, as they get dumped with the worst brainless crap on the face of the planet and are being totally ignored by everyone. Imagine being an intelligent young woman and having to grow up surrounded by that. No wonder they are starving themselves and getting the knives out. Think some interesting things will come out of that when they get older. The worst place used to be being black and gay in america, now it's being a girl and 11.

Other places would be Berlin. There are some interesting things going on there. Berghain, because no one is allowed to take pictures there, it eliminates any visual aesthetic being recorded and the aesthetic only exists within the context of the room itself anyway. But then again is only really escapism.

Since the title is NEXT, have to ask what the next big thing will be. I think the big tension that is building is related to global capitalism and the mass commercialization of everything. Even the economist magazine ran an article on the subject this month. The naming rights of football stadiums up for sale, everything has to have a business model attached and it leads to this feel that everyone around you is just trying to make money off your ass. Add on top the fact you are really smart and might not have a job...it's like a pressure cooker. Then ad on top Facebook and that happy happy joy joy fascist "like" everything bullshit, all the while they are using all your information to build a profile to be sold to advertisers.

Back in the 1960s everyone thought it would be a good idea to pack people in high rise social housing. The idea seemed fine on paper but didn't take into account human physiology and sociology. It created a disaster. Same with facebook, there has been very little thought about how it really affects the members. Like those timeline banners, it is so sad when you see people with landscapes up there, it's like they are all in the high rise social housing of the 60s and looking out the window at something and dreaming, yet still being in their box/apartment. Fucked up cyber ghetto shit.

Great art will be able to distill this pressure or capture it in something poetic and beautiful. Thats what Kraftwerk did with Autobahn. They became robots and made a meaningless feel good pop song for the masses who loved it. They just took it on a superficial level, "Bahn, Bahn, Bahn, it's the auto bahn" to a beach boys melody. But it was so loaded with Stepford wives something ain't right going on atmosphere, which in Germany and the way pop culture was commandeered by the Nazi's was such a moment of musical genius for a number of reasons. You could go crazy and stand on the corner and shout "What have we all done" and get locked up in a psych ward or you can make a lazer sharp critic of the mass culture using the medium of mass culture itself. TED talks mentioning the "Wisdom Of Crowds" ;)

Anyway I have full hope some artists can catch the zeitgeist, but it ain't coming from anywhere we are aware of. The source won't be anyone established in the art world, fashion...the medium might be pop culture, maybe using facebook...who knows, one thing for sure is that great art comes from when something needs to be said.
        Last edited by pierce4; 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• pierce4
          • Mar 2010

Amatue, she is trying to turn herself into a half life computer generated ideal of modern female beauty. Even has had ribs removed on top of all the facial plastic surgery...now that is gothic. ...we program our 3d studio software then our 3d studio software programs us!

Last edited by pierce4; 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• pierce4
            • Mar 2010

wtf is right merz!

Comment

• pierce4
              • Mar 2010

Yeah, it's grotesque. Like Maryln Manson is way too literal and just sticks a contact lens on one eye ffs, this woman is hardcore, like full surgery in a hospital removing ribs and then the total lack of self awareness. She's like some frankenstein monster result of the beauty industry x matel child marketing up on the cross holding a mirror to our society, screaming "Look at what thou hath createth, am not pleasing to thine eye?"

I just had a really scary vision of the future. If young girls starved themselves to look like Kate Moss, what happens when the ideal beauty that they are fed is some fucked up computer renedering. H+M are already swapping real models for digital renders...
              Last edited by pierce4; 07-31-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• mizzar
                • Mar 2008

2merz:
                Oh, she is so 2006
                believes she and her girlfriends are some kind of witches\espers
                links to look, outdated a bit but still ROFL
                ____
                sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

Comment

• Patroklus
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2011

That's not a failure of Mattel to provide positive role models to children, it's a failure of those children in selecting their role models. Barbie's clothes look like Ross cast offs and her gay BFF Ken dresses like a Kohl's catalog.
                  she don't wear no Prada
                  she don't wear no Owens
                  she's a basic bitch and she ain't no role model.

Comment

• pierce4
                    • Mar 2010

Nearly as horrific as the "Downtown Men" banner!

Comment

• christianef
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      I don't think it really matters if they co-opted the elements of their esthetic - the point is right now they have a very clear and definable style.
                      Originally posted by Jin View Post
                      Maybe we just hunt different hipsters..?
                      what would be the clear and definable style? not being sarcastic, i do not really know. lanvin model longboarder. rick ross and meek mill witchhop wigger. the proverbial dirtbag. nylon party slut. everything's branched out and is over-lapping with everything. seems very vague, muddled and uneasy to define.

Comment

• pierce4
                        • Mar 2010

@christianef, thats the point I was trying to make above, it is just one big mess. I see so many people chasing trends and flapping about the place like idiots. What you do is just give up and don a uniform. Be it rick owens or jil sander or a pair of nikes, blue jeans and a turtle neck. In this age of bullshit, no bullshit power dressing is the future. Which is why I'm here on stylezeitgeist.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jin View Post
                          Maybe we just hunt different hipsters..?

well. and is this culture strong enough to bring something or someone to the fashion world ? I think you've already discussed the same at the end of 2009 in strangers reactions.

Hmmm, I don't know. I'd like to say no (not defending hipsters by any means, lol). Well, maybe - look at Junya's FW12 - straight outta Williamsburg, models included... (Christianf, you can just look there).
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

I'm trying to comprehend this last page, starting with pierce4's post having to do something with the olympics and shampoo, but I can't.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• pierce4
                              • Mar 2010

Think we ( or me ) was going on about the new aesthetic of global capitalism was the NEXT thing.

"Axes’ design and language reflects, and celebrates, the post-post-everything consumerism in which we find ourselves currently enmeshed. Neon color palates, hallucinogenic trails, metallic contours, harsh deconstructed angles, and jagged tribal designs all champion the aesthetic. Here formalist congruency is shattered, whole shapes deconstructed, indented, scratched, and stretched to their varying limits. Compression and asymmetry become the dominant paradigm. Glowing in the the same crystalline definition, these high-res fractals and jagged tribalisms, swirl, and contort the reality of 21st century body odor and masculinity. Hygiene has never looked so futuristic. Yet, the synergistic relationship that emerges between graphical representation (i.e., the packaging), and the production of identity (as seen by perpetuating heteronormative tropes associated with the use of the products), is in a way, a potential diagram for the chopping and re-distribution of anthropocentric history. A specifically masculine history at that. Sadly, this potential is never quite fully realized or articulated."

Last edited by pierce4; 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• pierce4
                                • Mar 2010

I strongly think that this is corporate capitalism's big push to move from the 2000s and it's "Garden State" romantisim and move on with the future and try and get us buying there shit again.

I actually want to try out the new nike flyknits and also buy a 3-d printer!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎