X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quiet
    Banned
    • Nov 2014

it will not be the same Atelier that people grew to love prior to it's closing. The name was bought and talking to "industry people" the outlook looks a bit grim on what the new iteration of Atelier will actually be. At the very least it's another shop to throw our money at in NYC.

Comment

• jskidder1
      • Jan 2011

what is the location of atelier 4.0?

Comment

• Vinyl Only
        • Jun 2012

atelier

Pretty sure its in the same space as the Atelier 3.0 in Chelsea gallery district.

Comment

• BrianK
          • Jan 2013

so is there a reason why they're not carrying Rick owens because i figure it would draw more business for them

Comment

• eleves
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
            it will not be the same Atelier that people grew to love prior to it's closing. The name was bought and talking to "industry people" the outlook looks a bit grim on what the new iteration of Atelier will actually be. At the very least it's another shop to throw our money at in NYC.
            It's extremely difficult to have a purist shop in the digital age and Atelier was pushing that further than anyone else in NYC with their buys. Guess we just have to give it a chance!

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
            so is there a reason why they're not carrying Rick owens because i figure it would draw more business for them
            I'd assume it's because there is no point in carrying the line because Rick Owens is literally everywhere nowadays. Also, the Rick Owens flagship was affiliated with the Atelier guys but I'm not sure what the case is now. The saturation of Rick Owens in every possible manner makes it easy to find and acquire current pieces and wouldn't be the big draw that it used to be. For the other brands being introduced like ACNE, Balmain, etc., even though those are widely available too, I'd assume it's to just balance out the customers who would and could purchase something at the store.
            Originally posted by Faust
            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• BrianK
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by eleves View Post
              It's extremely difficult to have a purist shop in the digital age and Atelier was pushing that further than anyone else in NYC with their buys. Guess we just have to give it a chance!

I'd assume it's because there is no point in carrying the line because Rick Owens is literally everywhere nowadays. Also, the Rick Owens flagship was affiliated with the Atelier guys but I'm not sure what the case is now. The saturation of Rick Owens in every possible manner makes it easy to find and acquire current pieces and wouldn't be the big draw that it used to be. For the other brands being introduced like ACNE, Balmain, etc., even though those are widely available too, I'd assume it's to just balance out the customers who would and could purchase something at the store.
              Whats the address on the new location?

Comment

• wahnfrieden
                • Feb 2011

They've just posted this updated brands list:

Looks like they are trying to appeal to a much wider audience now. Sort of a Blackbird on overdrive (with a range of price tiers / styles). Surprised to see so many "street" brands (Dsquared2??). I guess their buys will be more telling...

Whatever the new ownership status, I wonder the total value of purchasing a name if you're going off-brand.

Comment

• guardimp
                  • Jun 2010

Considering nothing has happened so far it might as well be not be happening. They keep giving more brands and more rough timelines, but never have any concrete news.

Comment

• noirgt
                    • Oct 2012

oh no there're a lot of things happening. why not just give it another week or two?

Comment

• Bleu1950
                      • Jan 2013

I also wonder that too... Essentially they are buying the working capital (eg left over stocks or whatever)..

Originally posted by wahnfrieden View Post

Whatever the new ownership status, I wonder the total value of purchasing a name if you're going off-brand.

Comment

• arby2001
                        • Jan 2011

it is, for a great many reasons, near-impossible in my estimation to keep a purist shop profitable in the US. most of them have something to do with the american milieu, so to avoid ruffling feathers i decline to elaborate.

you will find that it is not so difficult to keep the same purist shop open in japan. all the good stuff sells out within3 days of release.
                        too skinny for rick

Comment

• guardimp
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Bleu1950 View Post
                          I also wonder that too... Essentially they are buying the working capital (eg left over stocks or whatever)..
                          So they are buying whatever did not sell at 75% off? Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Comment

• Peasant
                            • Jul 2009

Man.. Dsquared? Why even keep the name Atelier?

Comment

• NOHSAD
                              • Nov 2014

HBA and Off White was the WTF for me . Like others said already regarding Atelier's new brand selection, it's to get a wider range of customers and stay relevant this time around.
                              "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Peasant
                                • Jul 2009

It's obvious why they're picking up other brands and heading in a new, more profitable (their fingers crossed) direction. It's just so far off from what it was that I can't imagine that name and identity supporting these labels.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎