• Sep 2006

My Gucci addiction

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/news...?currentPage=1
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Thanks for posting, Fuuma. A really interesting article and definitely speaks to some consumption patterns on SZ (well, not on the author's level!) and overall. I had a funny reaction of being fascinated and vomiting at the same time.

I don't even know where to begin dissecting it. Obviously the guy is seriously addicted (no Rick Owens in his collection yet?). It's really interesting though that his addiction started at 55! The below paragraph is quite striking though, no?

"Some of the clothing is men's. Some is women's. I make no distinction. Men's fashion is catching up, with high-end retailers such as Gucci and Burberry and Versace finally honoring us. But women's fashion is still infinitely more interesting and has an unfair monopoly on feeling sexy, and if the clothing you wear makes you feel the way you want to feel, liberated and alive, then fucking wear it. The opposite, to repress yourself as I did for the first fifty-five years of my life, is the worst price of all to pay. The United States is a country that has raged against enlightenment since 1776; puritanism, the guiding lantern, has cast its withering judgment on anything outside the narrow societal mainstream. Think it's easy to be different in America? Try something as benign as wearing stretch leather leggings or knee-high boots if you are a man."
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I just find it incredible that half a mil gets you here:

buy Gucci and fo-sache all you want, but how you gonna look like you're wearing your teenage daughters shit from Forever 21
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Nice bulge.

The whole thing is so absurd that it's kind of fascinating and I can't quite figure out what ends where - the narcissism, the desire (and the balls, I guess) to stand out, midlife crisis, addiction as memoir, therapeutic showing off, etc. etc. It's actually a very rich article.

I kinda want to meet him, haha.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          (and the balls, I guess) to stand out
          Both figuratively and quite literally, in the above photo.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

I think he looks like fun.

Doesn't appear any more ridiculous than other obsessive collectors, just a different context. Can't help but find it amusing, even if exploitative. I wonder when A&E will offer him his own show?
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

initially i was very impressed with his extravagance and almost perceived him as a christ-like figure who kopped for our sins. but by the end of the article (i wonder how many made it as far as i did and i admittedly couldn't finish) where he tied his habit into his very confused sexuality and made some embarrassing tangents and naive generalizations about clothing/sexuality he just struck me as addled and misguided and clearly in need of some stronger medication than he already claims he's on. i wish he was more nietzschean and less freudean about his spending.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• drizzly
                Banned
                • Apr 2012

couldnt finish reading this, i skimmed it and am in shock.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                  • Mar 2009

Looks like he was dressed by the owner of Vertice, uttering the immortal lines "I giiiiive yooou a goooooo loooook"
                  merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• SuE
                    • Jan 2013

Buzz Bissinger's Leather Auction: I'm Putting a "Fucked-Up Phase of My Life to Rest"
                    Last year, Buzz Bissinger wrote an intensely honest piece for GQ about his addiction to buying couture clothes. As part of his recovery, he recently enlisted auction company LuxeSwap to sell much of his collection on eBay. (They put up new pieces every Thursday, and will continue to until everything's sold. Tomorrow: Eight leather jackets and a pair of boots.) Here, Buzz tells GQ why he needed to let everything (well, most everything) go:
                    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Bson
                      • May 2013

Hmm interesting that his 'most expensive' pieces aren't as crazily priced as some of the more extravagant pieces by SZ designers we love. And I don't understand why he only has "forty-three pieces" of Gucci and the brand rewards him with so much... Maybe we should all get flights to our favorite show haha! His spending doesn't really compare to women who buy couture...

EDIT: Okay, I finished reading and I see he bought all that within 2-3 years... and I somehow missed that terrible picture up above haha oh lord. But I had the same reaction as AKA... This guy is troubled, though at least he is candid
                      Last edited by Bson; 12-19-2014, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• hausofblaq
                        • Oct 2014

I wouldn't dare to buy the stuff that he decided to sell, sounds like he might have done more than just wear the clothes, especially his leather pieces...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

It gives the clothes character!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• alphax010
                            • Jan 2013

Amazing article!

Comment

• byhand
                              • Dec 2011

Getting over the addiction is never as fun as being in the middle of it.

It's not like the addiction is going to kill him. What's to stop him from firing up the computer at 2AM one night to indulge himself when he can't sleep and is jonesing? I have a feeling his Gucci crush is going to be one of those unfortunate on-again, off-again romances. He has the cash.

It's a cruel world. A man needs a little satisfaction, and his satisfaction comes in the form of knee-high stiletto boots and studded leather. That's not going away no matter how many therapists temporarily convince him to use his rational mind to navigate his way out of the impulse to buy.

I dislike the children for making him even think about the unpleasant fact that he is spending their inheritance on clothing. When he dies the kids can open a museum. I'd buy a ticket. He's a creative guy. It's his livelihood. Stifling this part of himself can alter his relationship with his work, which ultimately may be more expensive than his Gucci habit. It's sad that he is trying to kill one of the more interesting parts of his persona. I'm obviously an enabler.
                              Last edited by byhand; 12-27-2014, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎