Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRRRK
    • Aug 2009

There is nothing and will never be anything in my apartment that could be even close to the calibre of what Apple has become. Before this goes on forever now, it is just my opinion about this company, well founded though.

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

I don't buy it for a second DRRRK. There are no good guys in the computer hardware industry. They're all doing the same shit. Pick the one that makes the best tool for your task and cope. Your ethical stance against one random hardware company is incoherent. You should stop using computers if you're that bothered.

Also, just for clarification. Lion was being compared to Windows Vista/Windows7/windowsSandwich or the like. Not a great comparison, but not terrible either.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• DRRRK
        • Aug 2009

Random? How is it then that every time one hardware company sues another there is always Apple in there? And why do they want money for usually free stuff, what is their right to want their piece from every ebook read on one of their things? All of this and more is not common practice, it is just the case with Apple. I still don't get the naturalness with which Apple user's tell me that they can't see a website because of flash. No USB..., closed system... where to stop? All of the examples, some not only expensive, some are even limiting for users, are exclusively Apple. But hey, it looks damn good. Really? I think the design is dated now, everything else looks similar. And no, they weren't the first to do it.

I must grant them that they are very clever in managing to maintain the status as the cool alternative to a giant like microsoft, when they are the no-alternative giant themselves already.

Finally, I think there is no good in this business as well, but there is a worst one.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Everyone is suing everyone. Apple is far from the worst offender, and far from the best. Somewhere or other I have a chart outlining the bullshit patent lawsuits from major tech companies. It's insane, so many arrows you can't reasonably print it out. The worst are clear here though, they're the worthless human parasite shitbags who run patent troll firms (Nathan Myrvold, may he die horribly, being one of the worst of the worst). Sorry man, if you paid attention, you would know this is very much common practice.

The lack of flash support on the mobile devices is fucking stupid, no argument. Flash does run fine on the laptops though, you know that right? Err, USB is on every apple laptop and desktop, has been for ~8 years maybe?

The design and quality is simply superior to the competitors, and for less money. Apple doesn't make cheap laptops, they make higher-end laptops. In this market they compete primarily with Lenovo, Sony, Samsung, and sublines of Dell. The Apple stuff compares favorably against each of these (ignoring OS, I run all three major OSes on my hardware). The sturdiness and component quality is better than the other four dollar for dollar. The high-end dell stuff undercuts on price, but it simply isn't well made enough to feel good to type on or last a few years. If you spend every day working on a laptop, Apple is pretty much the only thing you want to use.

I used to buy Lenovo instead, but a few years back their quality nosedived. The keyboards no longer feel solid, and there's no longer an option for a quality IPS screen in most of their machines (apple's screens are universally high quality, worth a lot after 8 hours). I'm not a fan of apple, I'm just an engineer using the best tools I can get, and for a few years now, those have been Apple laptops by a wide margin. Sony's newest Z series came close, but the floppy screen, soft keyboard, and $700 price premium over apple parts killed it for me.

And, yeah, they have good marketing. But, more than that, they finally put together a very very solid industrial design team, one of the best manufacturing QC units in the industry, and a very skilled UI team. They're just another giant company, of course, but they make the best laptops right now, for less than the competition (one of the advantages of being a terrifying massive company is being able to negotiate for better pricing).
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• DRRRK
            • Aug 2009

I should have pointed out that before the iphone I could appreciate the design and, what others told me, the reliability of the system. Back then, it was a different company though. What I talked about were iphone and ipad, the hype surrounding these (that makes marketing pretty easy, users are like missionaries) and customers accept things i would not imagine.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I can agree on the iPad, that is seems a bit superfluous. But everything else is top notch. I admire your naivete though. And it's funny you blast Apple on a design forum. Show me better design?

Apple took what Bang and Olufsen has been doing for years to the mass market. I applaud them for that. It just works and it works well and it looks and feels great. I am tired of shit consumer products and I take my hat off to Jobs for making this world a better place - nothing less than that.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tron
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Has anyone successfully unlocked their iPhone 4?
                Yup it's just a matter of jailbreaking it first
                "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• DRRRK
                  • Aug 2009

I'm happy you take this discussion lightly, because usually iphone owners feel offended quite easily. If naive implies analyzing and questioning mass consumption I can agree. I like to discuss what makes people buy what they do and the iphone being THE success story of recent times it has become my favourite topic. For someone who is not particularly interested in technology I have quite a lot posts in this thread, always the same subject.

I can definitely agree on the Bang & Olufsen example. The Braun influence is quite obvious as well. I will still question if the world is a better place not just with the iphone/pad, but with any permanently possible online activity leading to nonsense on Facebook and Twitter. I usually turn off the mobile net when I don't need it, which is almost all the time.

There was a great passionate article on german website Spiegel online last week by a former apple user. I will just translate a short part now, showing the impression I have with a lot of apple users:

"What was once L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology are now Apple and its customers. A religious community, far away from every rationality. The queues that were once in front of St. Peter's Dome are now in front of the Apple store."

Like I said, my impression of a major part of apple users.

For examples of better design, that is difficult. With a huge touchscreen on the front the differences are not really that big. I am just tired of it.
                  I still like the Design of my HTC Desire HD, other newer ones I like are the Motorola Atrix, LG P990 Optimus Speed and, for being different from the rest, the Nokia X7. I'm sure there are others, but i am not willing to find and discuss the better or best design because it is obviously a matter of taste (and you may remember we don't agree on Harnden as well). None of these has the classic elegance of the iphone, which, for me, is a plus.

Comment

• plasmoplas
                    • Sep 2010

fiber-optic-embedded jacket

i realize most of the posts here are about gadgets, but i thought this would also be a nice place to share this jacket i came across:

i'm mixed on this piece though, on the contrast of 'toughness' of a moto-style jacket contrasting the diaphanous fiber-optic cloak. "make up your mind!" is what i'd like to say.

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                      I'm happy you take this discussion lightly, because usually iphone owners feel offended quite easily...
                      There was a great passionate article on german website Spiegel online last week by a former apple user. I will just translate a short part now, showing the impression I have with a lot of apple users:

"What was once L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology are now Apple and its customers. A religious community, far away from every rationality. The queues that were once in front of St. Peter's Dome are now in front of the Apple store."

Like I said, my impression of a major part of apple users.
                      I have to say, I'm not surprised you find apple users "easily offended" given that you compare them to scientology cultists for liking a gadget.

I think you might want to work on your argument a little ... Anyway, I'll keep using computers as tools, and you can start a religious war.

Comment

• doldrums
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                        I have to say, I'm not surprised you find apple users "easily offended" given that you compare them to scientology cultists for liking a gadget.

I think you might want to work on your argument a little ... Anyway, I'll keep using computers as tools, and you can start a religious war.
                        what he said. lolz.

Also, re:

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                        I am running it at work. Not bad, some nice features. Apple's tendency to ruin apps with appalling design features ( address books that look like...uhm, address books and calendars that look like ... You get my drift ) is unfortunately taken to new levels. Too much Mickey mouse to take it really seriously, but it all runs nicely.
                        check this out:
                        Revised: 30/7/11 - Removed repeating gradient from sidebars in AddressBook skin & revised some images. This is my original post on how ...

Comment

• DRRRK
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post

Edit:
                          Just to get you off your high horse, the comparison is nothing new:

new one, watch the video

Pretty random choices from seemingly endless google results for this.

As you are able to separate a mass phenomenon from the social and economical aspects (and obviously single words from quotation marks), there is no need to continue this now.
                          Last edited by DRRRK; 09-01-2011, 07:20 AM. Reason: random links

Comment

• whitney
                            • Dec 2009

plasmoplas, thats pretty cool, if they made a cape of it..or maybe make it multi colored i dunno why i always like rainbows..something like that horrid avatar or the bridge in thor.

as for apple it's never about who does it first its who does it best (and market, obv)

i like how they've made their products like cars..keeping the same shell nearly for a few cycles..while just slightly updating it to draw new customers..keeping the old shell so that old (by this i mean a few months ) won't be pissed. even call it 3G, 3GS..

they're also (by they i mean steve jobs) smart in controlling how the product works and is made and third party apps being approved (about a week average from what i've seen) cos..people (normal folks who're noobs when it comes to computers--which by part is the biggest chunk of customers out there) don't give a flying ass about anything other then for it to work like it's suppose to.

eta, put it in a sleekishlooking design? slam dunk..at least compared to what else is out there
                            you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                              Edit:
                              Just to get you off your high horse, the comparison is nothing new:

new one, watch the video

Pretty random choices from seemingly endless google results for this.

As you are able to separate a mass phenomenon from the social and economical aspects (and obviously single words from quotation marks), there is no need to continue this now.
                              No offense, but you are on the high horse here. He likes the tools, you are starting a religious war.

I like the tools too. I like giving the creators their due and not the imitators. This is why I buy Rick and not the latest Rick-flavor. This is why I buy Apple. They innovate, the rest imitate. Some Apple's business practices are obviously there to make money, but so are for all other companies. They have stock, they answer to shareholders.

And yes, to make good quality, good looking, well-functioning products makes the world a better place. You want to live in the world of ugly, ill-thought out products, be my guest. I don't.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by tron View Post
                                Yup it's just a matter of jailbreaking it first
                                Cheers. Did you use the dev team software? And what do you do to replace the SIM - do you just cut it to size?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎