Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JFsO
    • Aug 2013

I have a pair of reverse culatta a1923 work boots that needs some heel replacements, is the Firm still the go to place in NY? I assume the repair on the reverse leather follows the same method as regular leather soles.

Comment

• applecrisp
      • Jun 2013

Does anyone know a place in Florence (or maybe even Rome) where I might find Saphir Renovateur? Thanks!

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

The Firm resoled my Rick Owens creepers and they did a good job at it. Also glued back together the top sole part that inevitably gets unglued, with mixed results...
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• leprechaunupindatree
          • Sep 2013

unearthing this thread..

does anyone know if that shop in tokyo that completely fixes old dunk soles still exists? apologies if its the one that's already been mentioned.

or failing that, are there any known cobblers who'll do a similar service (via mail depending on locale)?

thanks in advance

Comment

• haydn
            • Feb 2013

Recently fallen in love with Saphir shoe care products.

After digging through countless forums and YouTube videos to find a solution to give life back to a pair of Rick distressed leather military boots that had seen better days, came across this brand. Ordered three products - the renovateur cream, a cream polish and a wax polish. The renovateur cream nourished the leather back to life... I wish I had taken a before and after picture. I was a little hesitant as it stated it was a mink oil based product, but it went on smooth like a nice facial cream (Id say this is the La Mer of leather care). So excited by the results I stayed up and polished all my leathers, which at 20 pairs wasn’t easy but oh so rewarding. I’ve fallen in love with these boots again.

Anyway, shameless non-endorsed plug. Best money spent in a while.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              The Firm resoled my Rick Owens creepers and they did a good job at it. Also glued back together the top sole part that inevitably gets unglued, with mixed results...
              Can you share any pictures?
              I have the pre-2010 version with the creeper sole and want to get the lower part replaced with a vibram sole. The original sole does not do anything when there is snow and ice out on the streets.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
                Can you share any pictures?
                I have the pre-2010 version with the creeper sole and want to get the lower part replaced with a vibram sole. The original sole does not do anything when there is snow and ice out on the streets.
                It's been so long, but they keep fixing them. The stitches have begun to unravel, and they have stitched them back together. The soles will always come unglued - they are just badly made. I don't have pictures, sorry. For you, I would suggest simply adding a layer of vibram, and not replacing the sole, which will probably be very expensive.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
                  • Oct 2015

Does any one know a cobbler thats capable of removing the soles on these boots https://borisbidjansaberiny.com/prod...black/.....and creating a sole like these boots https://borisbidjansaberiny.com/prod...murex-purple/?

Bought the new style boots and i'm desperately hoping I can get an experienced cobbler to recreate the soles(or something similar) with the more classic soles.

Comment

• 13we2
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by TheInformalGenius View Post
                    Does any one know a cobbler thats capable of removing the soles on these boots https://borisbidjansaberiny.com/prod...black/.....and creating a sole like these boots https://borisbidjansaberiny.com/prod...murex-purple/?

Bought the new style boots and i'm desperately hoping I can get an experienced cobbler to recreate the soles(or something similar) with the more classic soles.
                    Apparently the easiest way is to resell the 1.1 and just get the boot1's instead. :/

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by 13we2 View Post
                      Apparently the easiest way is to resell the 1.1 and just get the boot1's instead. :/
                      The only problem is I haven't seen any stores order the Boot1 with the Smooth black horse leather in years.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

PSA: For those of you whose feet get cold. I finally realized that there is such a thing as shearling insoles. They are a game changer. I knew they existed, but I forgot... for years. Pro tip: don't make the same mistake I made, get them in your shoe size, not in your foot size. Also, you'll need plenty of room for them, so if your footwear TTS, it probably won't work. I use them with boots that are a size too big, and it's been fab.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                          • Sep 2015

Okay, here's a weird one for you.
                          I recently scored good deals online on 2 pairs of Rick Owens sandals. Namely these:

and these.

I have a similar issue with each pair — my foot is quite narrow and relatively flat, and the upper (band part that goes over your foot) is too loose, which makes them not stay on as a I walk. Is this something that could be fixed by a cobbler? I have a lot of pain in my feet, and I am most comfortable in shoes with a very firm sole, so I'd love to make them work if it's possible.

I have put a "heel lift" into the wooden-bottomed ones, which takes up the space and makes them fit well, but it's not exactly pretty. My gut feeling is that the granola slides could possibly have the leather taken in, but the sabot clog probably needs to have the sole built up. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice.

Comment

• CryAlone
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by jurassicsnark View Post
                            Okay, here's a weird one for you.
                            I recently scored good deals online on 2 pairs of Rick Owens sandals. Namely these:

and these.

I have a similar issue with each pair — my foot is quite narrow and relatively flat, and the upper (band part that goes over your foot) is too loose, which makes them not stay on as a I walk. Is this something that could be fixed by a cobbler? I have a lot of pain in my feet, and I am most comfortable in shoes with a very firm sole, so I'd love to make them work if it's possible.

I have put a "heel lift" into the wooden-bottomed ones, which takes up the space and makes them fit well, but it's not exactly pretty. My gut feeling is that the granola slides could possibly have the leather taken in, but the sabot clog probably needs to have the sole built up. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice.
                            hi. i worked for a cobbler in ny for almost five years so i feel like i can answer this one. both answers presume that you dont want to modify the insole or add any heel lift mechanisms.

first pair of sandals: it looks like a competent cobbler will be able to open up the outsole and tuck more leather from one or both sides of the shoe under before re-attaching. this will make the leather part holding your feet in tighter.

second pair of sandals: more time intensive. you are going to have to remove the upper fastening pins entirely. trim the leather on both sides of the upper. and then reattach the pins on the new bottom of the trimmer upper.
                            let me be lonely

Comment

• Skye X
                              • Oct 2010

Any recommendations for a good cobbler in the PNW? I'm in Portland, but can go as far as Seattle. If not, I'll wait until I'm back in SF for the holidays.

Comment

• Halibut
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by fkioils
                                Hi, guys! I really want to buy leather shoes but I heard that it is very difficult to take care of them, is that true? can you give me any advice on how should I take care of them? I really like Rick Owens Sandals, where can I order them? By the way guys, I have a question about delivery, how can I find out my https://postcodefinder.net/england/london postcode? I live in London.
                                Seems you're quite new to fashion. There are plenty of resources available on this forum to get you started. This thread is one of them. Go back and read through this thread for all you need to know about leather shoe care. There is also a more general leather care thread.

You can find answers to your other questions using simple google searches. I'd advise doing some more research on your own before asking such simple questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎