No announcement yet.

Sruli Recht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i don't know where you're trying to get with this.

My lousy excuse is that this guy lives and works in Iceland. It's impossible to ignore nature there. It will profoundly influence anything you do. It's a cliché but it's true. I lived it myself. And i sympathize with it's sentiments very deeply, regardless of its aesthetic results. Also the interesting point about Iceland is that the juxtaposition of nature vs. civilisation doesn't really apply there. People will sit at a café with their macbook, and in the weekend they go with their 4-wheel drive onto glaciers. They'll be visiting their family in a farm in the country side and in the evening go into town to techno clubs. The essence of icelandic culture is that exact idea that they don't distance themselves from nature, nor romanticize it. It's present at all times.

god I miss that place so much :(

Comment

• Peasant
      • Jul 2009

Subconsciously I'm sure that happens to all designers whether they like it or not. I feel it brings out an honesty within them. You can take the designer out of Iceland but you can't.... ya know?

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Well I've never been to Belgium, but I have read Theyskens saying that the dark and romantic aesthetic that he has (had earlier in his career) comes naturally from his surrounding in Brussels.

I think a designer cannot help but be influenced by his surroundings, he either embraces it or react against it to create..........at least the ones that are creating from the heart..............

Rilu,
        I am still trying to get a better conception of your Idea of nature in order to understand what you really mean, because as I look at Sruli's work I don't get that idea, at least not the traditional sense of Nature proposed by most designers..........
        I see Sruli's work as being very avant garde and I mean this in the truest sense of the word.
        the way he cuts, the fabrications, the way he presents the products. I find it very different, and I don't necessarily see it as appealing to nature but presenting an intellectual departure from what we have come to traditionally accept. Maybe the issue is, as a Jamaican, my perception of nature, or at least the idea that the word brings to mind would be different from yours...........

Also, I don't find nature to be harmonious with human sensibilities.............I actually feel a great deal of tension, almost a kind of enmity, between mankind and his surroundings..........to me, Civilization and society was build up in order to protect man from the dangers of the natural environment.........but man, like nature is also violent, and as such the very civilization he has built up is also violent towards him.

Whatever harmony may have existed between man an nature (and I am of the view that this harmony never at all existed) is irretrievably lost. What I believe mankind had was a certain transcendental power to mold and subject nature to his will..........and while we have gained in material and empirical knowledge, we have significantly decline in the Spirit that would enable us to have nature under subjection........

Uh...........I should stop here because this is becoming a completely different discussion
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rilu
          i often wonder what this would mean for Belgian designers: which particular properties of Belgian culture and the geo-political position of the country influenced them to do what they've been doing.
          Modesty and quiet intellect.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

That's cause Belgians don't give a shit about fashion. :-)
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Pumpfish
              • Sep 2010

Perhaps this very modesty feeds the desire to express onesself through design and dressing rather than just mouting off?
              spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rilu
                I remember reading somewhere that Margiela said he built his stuff in spite of his cultural surrounding (from which he in the end escaped :p). Maybe there's something in that as well.
                Well, yeah, much of good stuff is made in spite of something else. Margiela escaped, but pretty much everyone else stayed. It's easy to live in Antwerp :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• oskar
                  • Mar 2008

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

If anyone had the opportunity to view Sruli's newest collection, would love to hear a little bit about it.

I'm checking his site almost daily to see when he will be reopening his online store...
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

There is a rifle.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        There is a rifle.
                        Awesome. I'm in Texas. I'll take that bastard to the shooting range!
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• MJRH
                          • Nov 2006

Grey Nurse, 2 years' wear

edit:

Last edited by MJRH; 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM. Reason: added info card for boots, a bit late
                          ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• (((o
                            • May 2009

Finally I got a copy of the lookbook so I'd like to share it. I will most likely be able to post the pictures later on in this thread so it's easier to view the collection.

Until then: Sruli Recht - AW12 - Field Dressing - Lookbook
                            i've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Comment

• Yoshiwara
                              • Jan 2011

Have I totally missed this, or does it goes without saying?
                              Why hasn't it been mentioned yet?

Comment

• sshum88
                                • Dec 2007

It was...here post 36.

Originally posted by Yoshiwara View Post
                                Have I totally missed this, or does it goes without saying?
                                Why hasn't it been mentioned yet?
                                Originally posted by eat me
                                If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎