X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lost53
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that this was the opposite of a diffusion line. I was under the impression that '11' was all about limited editions and special fabrics/treatments. I also thought that some of this stuff was already around, as these 3 pieces have all been referred to as being from line 11 in various places:

http://www.darklandsberlin.com/site/...link-cufflinks
    I do believe you are right.

Comment

• byhand
      • Dec 2011

Was thinking that this was the normal need to capture a bigger market share, typical when one has investors wanting more profit. I consequently believed this line would have a much lower price point, but the linked garments (posted above) are not evidence of this as they are priced within the same realm as his existing line, so what's the point? Simple market strategy to get people talking about the launch? One can hope that the new stuff won't have those annoying strings hanging from the backs of garments.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

It is a diffusion line, but I agree with Pumpfish - it can be done right (see Silent). The main reason for this was the prices for designer clothing are getting out of control and if Boris manages to do this in a way that works well, why not. I think Silent basics are great, and so are DRKSHDW.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

is it a diffusion line?

jskidders post above appears to be accurate. and those don't feel like diffusion items or diffusion prices. and they are limited edition, not mass produced. i am confuse
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Depends on your definition of diffusion line, I guess. These will be basics at lower prices than the mainline and will have more of a streetwear feel keeping in line with Boris's experiments with fabrics.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• electricgecko
              • May 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I think Silent basics are great, and so are DRKSHDW.
              i agree – and both are taking a slightly different approach: drkshdw is close to the mainline (even sharing some signature details) with different fabrics and simpler cuts. silent feels more independent, like a side note to the main collection.

anyway, back to topic: never occured to me that 11 could be more luxurious than the main line. exciting.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

There was one pair of pants from the line available via ebay not too long ago but no one went for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BORIS-BIDJAN...p2047675.l2557

Really lovely textures with the BBS signature silhouette/cut.
                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• kuriz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
                  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that this was the opposite of a diffusion line. I was under the impression that '11' was all about limited editions and special fabrics/treatments.
                  I got the exact same impression after reading those last lines in the manifesto saying:
                  "11 garments and 11 accessories combine the experimental creations of boris bidjan saberi with thick denims, jerseys, heavy canvas and technical fabrics".

Anyway whether it be a diffusion line or no, as a huge BBS fan I'd love it if he made some more basic stuff at a lower price (t-shirts for example), but from the statement it seems that it'll be more heavy things than that. Can't wait to see what this ends up with

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

One possibility could be that 11 was conceived but the concept was not properly fleshed out before now, which is pretty common for a lot of designers..................and then he decided a diffusion line was maybe the best means of expressing what he wants to say within the context of 11

I honestly see Boris going the way of Rick in terms of keeping things interesting, expanding but not necessarily "selling out" and I also think that of all the brands discussed pretty often on SZ he has at the moment the greatest potential for expansion
                    Last edited by zamb; 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM.
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                      teaser for the new "11" line by way of diane pernet...

lol. groundbreaking.

or, wallbreaking rather.

Comment

• ngoa
                        • Oct 2009

One can hope that the new stuff won't have those annoying strings hanging from the backs of garments.
                        boris should not get rid of the signature strings. whoever doesnt like them can easily cut them off but i like them and leave them on all my bbs garments.

Comment

• byhand
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                          There was one pair of pants from the line available via ebay not too long ago but no one went for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BORIS-BIDJAN...p2047675.l2557

Really lovely textures with the BBS signature silhouette/cut.
                          This pant was released with the normal winter line this season and was available at Darklands and Ink (both sold out fairly quickly). I thought the design was the most interesting pant of his season, so now I'm looking forward to seeing more... if it is actually part of the 11 line. At over $1000 retail it's hardly a design looking for a broader market. I think it was his most expensive pant of the winter season. The crowd on a budget looking to own a piece of the brand is not the customer for 11, apparently.
                          Last edited by byhand; 12-12-2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• electricgecko
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by ngoa View Post
                            boris should not get rid of the signature strings. whoever doesnt like them can easily cut them off but i like them and leave them on all my bbs garments.
                            agreed. one of the best subtle and unique signature details out there. also makes it hard to wear more than one bbs piece at a time.

Comment

• byhand
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by electricgecko View Post
                              agreed. one of the best subtle and unique signature details out there. also makes it hard to wear more than one bbs piece at a time.
                              I don't like them for the same reason I don't want a visible BBS logo embroidered on every garment. The string is essentially the logo in a kind of undercover capacity, identifiable only to those in the know. I don't wear logos. The strings are silly and lend a juvenile touch to his work. I think it undermines what is otherwise some wonderful designing. Not a big deal on the pants, but it's a blight on shirts and jackets.

Comment

• ngoa
                                • Oct 2009

i already was disappointed when he left out all the additional strings he had until recent. they give the garments the nomadic touch i like.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎