X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Finally going to do the LA - SF coastal drive. Where to stay in/around Big Sur and where to stop along the way?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
      • Nov 2007

keep in mind all the interesting stuff is near the end of the drive if you begin in la. definitely stop at hearst castle and do the tour. you can stay at deetjens in big sur. or prior to that at the madonna inn in san louis obispo - if you dare. make sure to do the 17 mile drive in carmel. i also suggest stopping in monterey to check out what remains of the cannery row once immortalized by steinbeck. santa cruz may be of interest as well but the last time i was there it had changed dramatically from the singular hippie/surfer town it once was. if you do stop in santa cruz there's also the mystery spot which is good for a visit.
      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Time & Space
        • Jan 2008

Hey there,

Okay.. So many place to stop at and things to do..

San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge, Cable Car ride, Alcatraz, Market Street, Golden Gate Park, Hate & Ashbury, Muir Redwood Forest, Angel Island, Shark Diving at the Farallon Islands.

Carmel: Pt Lobos is a MUST, pay the park fee support the California Parks. Amazing scenic place you can't go wrong..http://www.pointlobos.org/

Pacific Grove & 17 Mile Drive: This whole coastline is breath taking area, you will be amazed.

Big Sur: Make a reservation at Deetjens in Big Sur now before you come here. They book up all the time. Small miners cabins in the redwood trees, great food. Skip Nepenthe. 48865 California 1 Big Sur, CA 93920
        (831) 667-2377

Ask any local to get to the Big Sur Pfeiffer Beach in Big Sur, its a 3 mile drive to the coastline and a secluded beach off of Highway 1, amazing and graceful. Its a small hairpin turn off the 1 and not marked, that is why you have to ask.

Stay at Deetjens and at midnight, go to the Eselan Hot Tubs on the cliffs of Big Sur. You must call Esalan to make a reservation and they book up fast, and space is VERY limited. Natural sulfur Hot Springs LITERALLY on the cliff next to the ocean, FUCKING AMAZING. Well worth the midnight adventure. http://www.esalen.org/page/esalen-hot-springs

There is another park in Big Sur at the Northern end with a trail that goes out to the Ocean, take the trail that leads along the river to the right of the parking lot, nice simple walk and gorgeous at sunset. Goes past the oldest cabin in Big Sur, locals will know the name.

So many place to stop in Big Sur.. Pfiefffer state park on the East side south of Big Sur, gorgeous redwood trees and the classic waterfall going into the ocean.

Giant waterfall and Swimming Hole on the south end of Big Sur, North of Ragged point. Hairpin Turn probably going to be lots of cars there, ask the local, small 5 minute hike to a gorgeous waterfall if the water is flowing.

Hearst Castle San Simeon Coast is a must, many great tours, take the one with the movie and the pool. So cool. Stop at the Sea Lion Rookery on the coast there bring a camera.

Cambria, small artsy tourist town, not much to see.

Morro Bay, beautiful stretches of beaches, but that is about it.

San Luis Obispo, great small town to check out nice downtown small college town...

Santa Barbara, spend the night here down by the Ocean, great downtown, great food on State Street, go to the beaches and take the old road up to the mountains, not the freeway, but the old pass road by the Riveria, up into the Mountains for a great over view look of the whole valley. I will try to find the name, I can't remember. It is where the Hang Gliders go launch from in the Mountains.

Ventura, cool coastal town. Then get off the 101 and take Highway 1 in Oxnard and drive through Malibu and stick to Highway 1.

Los Angeles: Getty Museum, Santa Monica Pier, Malibu, Griffith Observatory so many things to see here.

Email me with any questions..

Sorry I reversed your trip I thought you were starting in San Fran.. LOL..

lucontv@gmail.com
        "With all due respect to Jesus Christ, Elvis was the greatest philanthropist of all time" -- Elvis Impersonator

Comment

• drizzly
          Banned
          • Apr 2012

find it interesting that there is an SF thread but no NYC or LA...

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

there are threads for both cities?
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamacdonell
              • Sep 2010

Everything Time and Space has mentioned here is spot on. I took a Big Sur trip last April (weather was perfect) with my girlfriend and we stayed here http://www.glenoaksbigsur.com/index.html.

Deetjens is of course great as well. I definitley agree about Point Lobos in Carmel, about a 30 minute drive north of Big Sur but well worth it.

Comment

• drizzly
                Banned
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                there are threads for both cities?
                i am saying there arent, maybe someone should add an NYC one

Comment

• een
                  • Sep 2006

huh?
                  new york
                  los angeles

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Thanks, AKA and T&S! This helps a lot!
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
                      • Oct 2010

hidden peak tea house in santa cruz + hidden beaches on the coast just north of santa cruz. there's one called panther beach with a hole in a cliff that (when the tide isn't too high) opens up to a hidden beach within a hidden beach called hole in the wall beach. There's another called sharktooth cove with a little grotto type thing, sea arch, cave, and island, all crammed into a tiny area. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you google map screenshots / give directions for the beaches.

also, if you're into poetry, you may enjoy reading robinson jeffers before your trip (to get into "dazzled by coastal beauty" mode) and visiting his house in carmel.
                      Last edited by trentk; 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM.
                      "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Yes! Also, can the drive be done in two days or should we stay two nights along the road in order to have a more leisurely experience?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
                          • Oct 2010

I'd say one day driving from big sur to santa cruz and another day driving from santa cruz to san francisco would be fine.
                          "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• drizzly
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by een View Post
                            i havent seen those bumped good to know

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ Did you read the noob Tips and Tricks thread? You did not. Otherwise you would see in bold fucking letters "SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST." One search wouldn't fucking kill you, especially since you obviously wondered at the improbability of not having those threads given we have one for SF.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                                I'd say one day driving from big sur to santa cruz and another day driving from santa cruz to san francisco would be fine.
                                I mean the drive from LA to SF.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎