X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewhk
    • Jan 2007

Re: FOOD!

did you cook them just by washing and then throwin them in for the sautee? That's it? Sounds like a pretty minimalist way to cook vegetables, and reminds me of Chinese style of doing veggies. What does it taste like?</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

lately i've been on a laksa kick, been going to this place near my office called Katong Laksa (best laksa in Hong Kong hands down) on a nearly daily basis. </P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Is that NYC eatery Momofuku Ssam worth the hype? It's essentially a noodle joint, right? What are the prices like?I've heard lots about it but i think the last time i was in NY it wasn't even up yet.</P>

Comment

• matthewhk
      • Jan 2007

[quote user="xadam"][quote user="laika"]

[quote user="xadam"]ko-boom.[/quote]</P>

details? [:O]</P>

Had dinner at bar Q last night. Roasted pork belly buns and spring rolls topped with lobster are absolutely delicious. Recommend, although might be a let down, post ko.
      </P>

[/quote]</P>

honestly, i'm not sure that there's anything substantial i can add to the canon deconstructing that place, but suffice to say it was a pretty spectacular meal. </P>

but, since you asked; generally, everything about it was very true to the momofuku aesthetic. the food was refined, but not precious. the chefs were gruff, they played belle&amp;sebastian, violent femmes, and biggie (in that order) on the stereo. they really did check my id when we showed up. the wine pairings were thoughtful and precise, the deep fried short ribs, the english muffin covered in pork fat, and the shaved foie were some of the most unusual, inventive, and satisfying presentations i've had, and they were all as spectacular as other's have said more eloquently. the crowd skewed young and the vibe creates a camaraderie among everyone eating there. it's a special place, go if you can.
      </P>

[/quote]</P>

ah just saw this post...didn't know you guys were discussing this subject just a page earlier. I'm reading some of those reviews right now...sounds like this guy is pretty amazing with pork. And for a set meal it looks like there's a lot of food, which is good since a lot of set meals these days seem to be kinda stingy with that. </P>

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

This afternoon/evening my girlfriend and I were driving to visit a family friend of hers and on the way we saw ferns growing in abundance on the roadside during the wooded part of the drive.</p>

We pulled over and lo and behold... TONS of fiddlehead ferns! We picked a bagful and sauteed em up with garlic once we got to our destination. Just in time for dinner.</p>

Deliciously delicate and crunchy.</p>

Eat your heart out Ko. I'm taking it back old school with the foraged foods.</p>

[/quote]</p>

ahhhh. love them. </p>
        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Re: FOOD!

[quote user="matthewhk"]

Is that NYC eatery Momofuku Ssam worth the hype? It's essentially a noodle joint, right? What are the prices like?I've heard lots about it but i think the last time i was in NY it wasn't even up yet.</p>

[/quote]</p>

there are three momofuku restaurants -- noodle bar, ssam bar, and ko. noodle bar is ramen, ssam bar is small plates, and ko is fixed menu. they are all unique and special, believe the hype.</p>

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]

did you cook them just by washing and then throwin them in for the sautee? That's it? Sounds like a pretty minimalist way to cook vegetables, and reminds me of Chinese style of doing veggies. What does it taste like?</p>
            <p mce_keep="true"></p>

lately i've been on a laksa kick, been going to this place near my office called Katong Laksa (best laksa in Hong Kong hands down) on a nearly daily basis. </p>
            <p mce_keep="true"></p>

Is that NYC eatery Momofuku Ssam worth the hype? It's essentially a noodle joint, right? What are the prices like?I've heard lots about it but i think the last time i was in NY it wasn't even up yet.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Yeah they're super simple to cook with. I think at some upscale restaurants they make mix them up a little bit but they're so aesthetically pretty and have a nice clean flavor that you dont need to do much to them.</p>

Pick them (just snap them where it naturally breaks with pressure... that marks where the tender shoot extends to), blanch them to make the fuzz easier to remove and then just sautee with a little garlic and salt and that's it! I know some people eat them raw in a salad form too but I love them sauteed.</p>

They have a sort of slightly nutty taste... I'm not too good at describing it exactly. Really nice texture and mouthfeel though as the leaf (the head) portion has a sliiiightly bitter taste and the stems are crunchy and fresh.</p>

I'm probably going to drive out there and pick a shitload tomorrow hehehe</p>
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• matthewhk
              • Jan 2007

sounds cool as hell, don't think there's any in my neck of the woods though. From what you describe it reminds me of that Taiwanese "A" vegetable.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Need to go to Florent one last time
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

^i get so f***ing depressed every time i think about that....[70]</p>

Have been going a lot lately though--i love their lentil salad.
                  </p>
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

seriously. where does one go now for 3 a.m. comfort food? $30k rent - ludicrous.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Remembered to snap pics of maybe 3 and a half of the 6-8 epic meals I had in japan.</p>

Pics to come!</p>

</p>
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

that's a pretty complicated plate

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

So, there was nothing in my size to buy in Tokyo, so I spent all my moneys on food. Now there's even less of a chance there's anything to buy in my size. Couple of my favorites:</p>

Esaki is a kaiseki style dinner spot. It's 4 tables and a private room, which is not at all small by Tokyo standards it seems. The flavors are bolder than the other restaurants in this style we tried, not quite as many courses, or as much money either, but this was the best place we ate. Nihonshu, Umeshu and Shochu selections were very good, and not too pricey at all. Sadly, I forgot to take pictures of the first course, which was the best one! First course was a seared scallop in a sweet sauce with gourds and root vegetables. Servers were great, sadly the restaurant had me and my brother, and 2 couples who were both pathetic old men and hostesses, and so we were forced to listen to two hours of girls trying to make old men feel interesting.</p>

Flip side to that is that we had decanters of their 9 favorite nihonshus and an umeshu, and all were excellent.
                          </p>

Sashimi</p>

Vegetables.</p>

Third course bowl.</p>

Favorite Nihonshu decanter of the evening.</p>

Soup with flower petal rice ball and green vegetables.</p>

Salad.</p>

Deelicious fish!</p>

Yeah, that delicious!</p>

Rice, pickles, miso soup, tea. The red thing is a DEATH TURNIP, never eat them.</p>

Azuki custard.</p>
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

We headed up to Gunmaken where we stayed at a Ryokan that did a Tofu oriented Kaiseki dinner. It was less perfect than Esaki, but it had moments of awesomeness. Their tofu and split pea soup could be all I ever ate I think.</p>

First course: Left to right. Some mini-salad based on ginger and mayonaisse, curdling soymilk, wild strawberry flavored liquor, salad, 3 kinds of tofu, and shabushabu box.</p>

Left side of same.</p>

Right side of same with soymilk shabu shabu pot.</p>

Boring picture of bowl soup came in. Such good soup though . . . </p>

Second course. Tofu and pea soup, sashimi, grilled whole fish.</p>

Whole fish.</p>

Sashimi.</p>

SOUP!
                            </p>

Japanese style beef. That means cooked on a hot iron skillet with corn and potatoes (super americana so far) and smothered in some kind of sweet sauce.</p>

Delicious piece of braised pork.</p>

Tempura.</p>

Rice, pickles, miso soup. Miso soup had tofu and mochi, was very nice.</p>

Tofu Ice cream.</p>

Be afraid of Ryokan dinners, they just feed you and feed you and feed you.
                            </p>

Comment

• kira
                              • Mar 2008

Be afraid of Ryokan dinners, they just feed you and feed you and feed you.
                              </p>

apparently so.[87] can you walk afterwards? i love looking at all of the different ceramic ware- know i should be looking at the food but always look at the plates first. comes out of 12yrs of working with clay.
                              </p>
                              Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• theetruscan
                                • Jan 2008

The most beautiful food I ate in Tokyo was at a place called Kougetsu. The chef was awesome, everything was beautiful. The flavors were a bit too subdued for my palate, but that's alright, it was just so pretty.</p>

Starting with the pic from before:</p>

In back, behind the grass, is a fish jelly with shiso. The shrimp is filled with egg. On the left is a piece of tenderloin with mustard, in the middle are some bamboo shoots, and the little red things are micro-tomatoes.</p>

Spoon full of noodles made of fish in what I believe was the Wylie Dufresne style, unexpected.</p>

Delicious clear soup (dashi?) with pea ball, mushrooms and a perfect carrot piece!</p>

Sashimi</p>

Tofu with Uni.</p>

Grilled fish. Seemed totally out of place, but damn tasty. Was cutlassfish.</p>

Salad.</p>

Conger Eel dish with some unknown Japanese vegetables.</p>

You guessed it: Rice, Pickles, Miso.</p>

Strawberry, mango, grapefruit jelly with custard.</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎