Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Sorry Heirloom, I forgot to apply my non-british irony translator to that one. I do, in fact, pretty much think that it's all an insult, and no manner of semantics can result in a sensible conclusion otherwise. "you look stupid, but, y'know, i don't mean that as an insult or anything as literally obvious as that."

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny View Post
      Sorry Heirloom, I forgot to apply my non-british irony translator to that one. I do, in fact, pretty much think that it's all an insult, and no manner of semantics can result in a sensible conclusion otherwise. "you look stupid, but, y'know, i don't mean that as an insult or anything as literally obvious as that."
      Hahaha, you totally got me. ;) thanks.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

Johnny : "it looks stupid". IT. Not They.
        If someone tells you that the jacket you're wearing is great, would you translate it by :"Wow, what a great man you are" ?
        As for the human hanger thing, it is a literal quotation from Purplekicks himself.
        So where's the problem.

But if you insist on seeing this as thoroughly insulting, I can't stop you guys. I'll take good note not to express my undelicate feelings about random pics anymore - not to hurt anyone's sensibility or to undirectly insult someone's friend or mother just by mocking some lycra leggings and a pair of sunglasses.
        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
          If someone tells you that the jacket you're wearing is great, would you translate it by :"Wow, you're great" ?
          As for the human hanger thing, it is a literal quotation from Purplekicks himself.
          I know I wouldn't, but the intention to let me know would be identified as being considerate, which I would appreciate. I do not need to know about people who dislike something I wear. Woudl you go up to them and tell them "Hey, I don't like what you're wearing." That's just ungenerous and not nice.

As for the human hanger comment, it's still a prejudice about the way people in the picture wishes to dress after. people who had no chance of explaining themselves. You're not using it with the same intention as purplekicks was.

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
            We're used to laugh at those jokes made about our outfits. It's part of the game. I suppose it is the same for those people.

Now if you regard, in their sake, Golden Hair and the Pirate as deeply insulting to these persons, to the respectable human beings they are, I apologize.
            Nonetheless, I suggest you take a nap.

Seriously.
            i mail_moth.

but not in a gay way. not that there's anything wrong with that..............

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
            uhm.... did people really not think that they might insult someone that people in here might know???
            good grief a little insult never hurt anybody. why errbody gettin so booty-swole???

you're too good for this place. run before it's too late. i'm too fucking stubborn to give up.
            um....no

but gosh if the kid really is only 15 we need to drop this shit. lord knows how silly most of us acted at 15. i mean i think kunk was full bore emo kid president of the depeche mode fan club...
            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• christianef
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
              The ironic thing is that we could post photos of fashion show audiences all day and make fun of them while in other parts of the cyber world, people would be posting photos of us and making fun of those.

So judge not lest ye be judged.

I fully support rational critiques but ever since purplekicks dropped into the thread, it seems like some have used it as an opportunity to tout their fashion superiority and that just seems laughable to me.

Can't we just agree that the original post was bad and move onward without smelling our own shit here?
              If the outfit was as inconsequential and unremarkable as everyone has agreed, then surely it doesn't warrant this amount of overreaction.
              its not really ironic so long as it was a fashion forum who's aims plainly included critical analysis of aesthetic. then id even welcome it. unnecessary to equate us with random people who laugh at us because we dont look like every other tourist with flip flops and cargo shorts on the subway. its ironic that we can tear a margiela collection to bits in the designer forum but when we find fault with an individual's aesthetic were worse than pol pot like were all of a sudden completely ignorant and cant wrap our heads around a bad joke.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

first of all. I never mentioned anything about anyones sexuality, and was not paying attention to it. the rest of your post is thus completely irrelevant.

furthermore: this guy is only 15, but you grill him as hard as any guy your age. I bet you were less put together by the age of 15, and I don't think you at 15 would appreciate someone else in your position putting words in your mouth like you've done. Nowhere has he said that he wanted 15 minutes of fame. He's asking for respect and manners. Why is that so hard to understand?
                ok, so your refuse to engage in a meaningful discussion when it's directed at you. fine.

his age is of no relevance to me. his style is. besides, i was the one who asked him to stay if he can contribute something to a discussion about fashion.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                  Johnny : "it looks stupid". IT. Not They.
                  If someone tells you that the jacket you're wearing is great, would you translate it by :"Wow, what a great man you are" ?
                  So where's the problem.

But if you insist on seeing this as thoroughly insulting, I can't stop you guys. I'll take good note not to express my undelicate feelings about random pics anymore - not to hurt anyone's sensibility or to undirectly insult someone's friend or mother just by mocking some lycra leggings and a pair of sunglasses.
                  Yes, let's all be warm and fuzzy, like the rest of the fashion industry. Let's see where it gets us.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                    but gosh if the kid really is only 15 we need to drop this shit. lord knows how silly most of us acted at 15. i mean i think kunk was full bore emo kid president of the depeche mode fan club...
                    hey now. when i was 15, depeche mode was god.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

^depeche mode is not god?

Comment

• cjbreed
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        hey now. when i was 15, depeche mode was god.
                        Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                        ^depeche mode is not god?
                        you know....i think we should all just calm down for a moment and think...just stop and think...and look inside ourselves....and realize that universal truth that...well...

people are people, so why should it be?
                        that faust and heirloom should get along so awwwffuulllyyyy....?
                        Last edited by cjbreed; 08-09-2010, 01:14 PM.
                        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

yeah, but we know we are better, they don't. so, there.
                          Knowing you, this is probably a joke, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Originally posted by merz
                          hey, at least we're talking about something. i kind of prefer it to silent picture-posting. this is as good of a subject as anything, though we've chewed this cud over a billion times by now, or so it would seem.

i wrote a lengthy reply outlining my point of view (which sort of got the ball rolling on this) but my phone unfortunately lost it.. to sum it up, none of my comments were ever directed at someone's sexual preference. i am very interested in understanding why people of certain persuasion tend to prefer very well-defined notions of anything with mandatory attributes. that is something i generally dislike. you can be goth, you can be punk, you can be a flamboyant eccentric, so long as it is clearly established and comes with a set of mandatory attributes. these things are set in stone and dictated by precedent. you can be anything so long as it is clearly and easily recognised for what it is.

that was sort of the point i was trying to explore, though i'm probably nowhere near half as articulate in doing so as some of our other contributors.. i'm really surprised to see mentions of bigotry or 'narrow mindedness' when discussing someone's aesthetic in this thread. it may not be perhaps the most politically-correct thing, but i'm not going to draw any lines in PC on this forum.
                          The accusations of bigotry I don't think come from opinions about the aesthetic, but rather of assumptions about the wearers' intentions and characters, which cannot be determined from those photos. It's not so much a matter of political correctness as of stereotyping, which is what you've just said you dislike.
                          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• mesko
                            • Nov 2009

ok, so your refuse to engage in a meaningful discussion when it's directed at you. fine.
                            Now I think that is just unfair. He never mentioned anything about sexuality and the rest of your post (the one directed at him) is mainly aiming at telling him it is not about being gay.

Comment

• tricotineacetat
                              • Aug 2009

I thought I'd post something remotely 'in the middle' between the understated and daring - therewith saying that I enjoy both ends of the spectrum, depending on my daily mood.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                                • Mar 2009

Heirloom : then I assume that the only solution is to refrain from any negative comment of any sort about anything or anyone on the public place, just in case it would accidentally hurt someone who's not there and who most probably doesn't care. I'm just a guy on the internet, you know ?

So : I promise I will never again call an advertisement silly, just because the man responsible of it is not around to explain his purpose. Fine.
                                And I will never, ever again say : "Damn, that book is so useless", because someone around could know the author, who happens to be a really nice human being, and his heart would be broken if he learnt that.

Well thank you : I hadn't really understood the meaning of politically correct until this evening ; now I get it.
                                Sounds a bit depressing to me, but here we are.
                                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎