X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Watched Dunkirk on a plane. Admittedly a stupid way to watch it, but I still liked it. I liked the no-hero approach. And obviously cinematography was top notch. Obviously, should've watched it on my OLED + sound system, but too late. Why Disney did not give Nolan the reigns over the new Star Wars trilogy instead of that moron J.J. Abrams is beyond me.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

Have been having to watch lots recently, so very superficial reviews below:
      I liked Dunkirk, watched it on 70mm IMAX which is an amazing experience - pretty much diametrically opposed to your experience ;) - but can't say I loved it. Call me by your name makes me want to time travel back to 1983, but left me somewhat cold otherwise. Ladybird on the other hand, while having a similar coming of age theme, just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. What a gorgeous film, it absolutely deserves the Oscar nominations. I, Tonya also gets my thumbs up as does Darkest Hour. Unfortunately, it also plays nicely into the narrative of the Brexiteers. I was also very unimpressed by the cinematography. While beautiful, it also removed you from really immersing yourself in the film. Stunning performance by Oldman, I would be surprised if he doesn't get the BAFTA and Oscar for it. Shape of Water was magical, loved every minute of it. All the money in the world got so much attention for erasing Spacey from it and to be honest that's all it really deserves attention for. It's like Scott hasn't moved on in 25 years. I wish he just stopped making movies, if only to save the last shreds of admiration I hold for him. Three billboards was great. The cast is just outstanding, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell were wonderful in it, Frances McDormand annoyed me at times as it felt a bit one-dimensional. Death of Stalin was hilarious. Again, amazing cast and just too funny, especially the various dialects... Then again, I love everything Ianucci has done.
      Have yet to see Phantom Thread. Can't really be bothered but will watch it because I am too curious about the soundtrack :)
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• underdog
        • Aug 2009

The sound design is admirable. If you have the opportunity to see it in a space with a proper or superior sound system you should check it out.

Comment

• Ahimsa
          Vegan Police
          • Sep 2011

After seeing all the oscar nominations for Dunkirk I thought I'd chime in as well. This movie really hit home how much Christopher Nolan needs his brother Jonathan as a writer (he did the writing for this one himself). The pacing was unfortunate, but not nearly so as the characters. I'm not sure what the purpose of the film was beyond showing off some pretty cinematography.

I'm just gonna leave this New Yorker review here because he really says it all: " “Dunkirk” seems, rather, like one of the self-censoring exhortations of wartime itself. Nolan’s sense of memory and of history is as flattened-out and untroubled as his sense of psychology and of character."
          StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Nestor
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
            I'm not sure what the purpose of the film was beyond showing off some pretty cinematography.
            This was about how I felt about the film as well. Very dull for me.

Hearing positive things about Death of Stalin has me more and more excited to see it. I'm also a fan of Ianucci's work and hope to enjoy it as much as In The Loop

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
              After seeing all the oscar nominations for Dunkirk I thought I'd chime in as well. This movie really hit home how much Christopher Nolan needs his brother Jonathan as a writer (he did the writing for this one himself). The pacing was unfortunate, but not nearly so as the characters. I'm not sure what the purpose of the film was beyond showing off some pretty cinematography.

I'm just gonna leave this New Yorker review here because he really says it all: " “Dunkirk” seems, rather, like one of the self-censoring exhortations of wartime itself. Nolan’s sense of memory and of history is as flattened-out and untroubled as his sense of psychology and of character."
              Come to think of it, you are completely right. I suppose its purpose was to show war without grandiosity, with human eyes. It failed at that. The only performance (actually, did this movie let anyone perform?) worth noting was of Tom Hardy, who can act even in a pilot's mask.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                Have been having to watch lots recently, so very superficial reviews below:
                I liked Dunkirk, watched it on 70mm IMAX which is an amazing experience - pretty much diametrically opposed to your experience ;) - but can't say I loved it. Call me by your name makes me want to time travel back to 1983, but left me somewhat cold otherwise. Ladybird on the other hand, while having a similar coming of age theme, just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. What a gorgeous film, it absolutely deserves the Oscar nominations. I, Tonya also gets my thumbs up as does Darkest Hour. Unfortunately, it also plays nicely into the narrative of the Brexiteers. I was also very unimpressed by the cinematography. While beautiful, it also removed you from really immersing yourself in the film. Stunning performance by Oldman, I would be surprised if he doesn't get the BAFTA and Oscar for it. Shape of Water was magical, loved every minute of it. All the money in the world got so much attention for erasing Spacey from it and to be honest that's all it really deserves attention for. It's like Scott hasn't moved on in 25 years. I wish he just stopped making movies, if only to save the last shreds of admiration I hold for him. Three billboards was great. The cast is just outstanding, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell were wonderful in it, Frances McDormand annoyed me at times as it felt a bit one-dimensional. Death of Stalin was hilarious. Again, amazing cast and just too funny, especially the various dialects... Then again, I love everything Ianucci has done.
                Have yet to see Phantom Thread. Can't really be bothered but will watch it because I am too curious about the soundtrack :)
                I feel the same say about Scott! Now you got me curious about Shape of Water.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  I feel the same say about Scott! Now you got me curious about Shape of Water.
                  Shape of Water is leading the oscar nominations with 13. Not to say the oscars have any merit, but so happy to see del Toro getting some proper recognition as opposed to a celebrity name orgy this time around.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                    • May 2008

Finally got round to seeing Killing of a sacred Deer at last. I hadn't read any reviews or watched the trailer and about 20 minutes in it was so WTF that I had to check out a review. The first one I found read: "This is the feel-bad film of the year. Recommend it to someone you hate."
                    Bit brash, but I can see where it's coming from. A friend of mine was so perplexed by it that he watched it again straight after the first viewing - I told him that's so hardcore he could be the green beret of home cinema. Anyway, I recommend it.
                    Saw Loveless last night followed by a Q&A with the director Andrey Zvyagintsev and his producer. He continuously stated that his films are not politically motivated, but rather simply a depiction of reality in Russia (I would assume you can achieve one by doing the other), and as such it's an allegory for the emotional and moral detachment of our society at large and, I guess, Russia in particular. In any case, it all cut very close to the bone. The young boy, although he's only got a few minutes of screen-time, delivers a stand out performance and is really the only feeling character in this otherwise grim and cold narrative. Must see, unless you like Fast and Furious.
                    Oh, and on that note, finally saw Return of the Jedi - considering I am not a Star Wars fan, I must say this was fantastically entertaining.
                    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I should do a Zvyagintsev marathon. Arguably the best Russian film-maker working today.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• goldsamxo
                        • Jan 2017

Abrams & Bad Robot dropped 'Cloverfield Paradox' last night after the game, continuing the Cloverfield anthology series.
                        You can deff tell it was a small-film before being picked-up by Paramount. The pacing was pretty odd, and most of the characters were poorly written but it was still excellent. Finally confirmed a ton of rumors about the Cloverfield series; especially the fact that we have 3 different worlds now - Earth 1 (Cloverfield) / Earth 2 (10CL) & Earth 3 (Paradox) though Earth 3 relates into the entire series.
                        Lots of foreshadowing for the next film 'Overlord', as well.
                        It wasn't nearly as good as Cloverfield Lane, but it's deff worth watching if you like sci-fi or the Cloverfield series.

Also - the final shot of the movie was worth 10 years of waiting.
                        Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
                        Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                          Vegan Police
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by goldsamxo View Post
                          Abrams & Bad Robot dropped 'Cloverfield Paradox' last night after the game, continuing the Cloverfield anthology series.
                          You can deff tell it was a small-film before being picked-up by Paramount. The pacing was pretty odd, and most of the characters were poorly written but it was still excellent. Finally confirmed a ton of rumors about the Cloverfield series; especially the fact that we have 3 different worlds now - Earth 1 (Cloverfield) / Earth 2 (10CL) & Earth 3 (Paradox) though Earth 3 relates into the entire series.
                          Lots of foreshadowing for the next film 'Overlord', as well.
                          It wasn't nearly as good as Cloverfield Lane, but it's deff worth watching if you like sci-fi or the Cloverfield series.

Also - the final shot of the movie was worth 10 years of waiting.
                          Just watched this today. Gottta say, didn't like it at all. Ending was exactly what I expected. Not to mention that it's essentially a popcorn version of Event Horizon without any sort of thrill, horror, or good visuals/shots.

It's a shame, because Cloverfield Lane made it seem like this little series they were doing here could become something interesting (sans Cloverfield just being Blair Witch Godzilla)

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Ha, remember Event Horizon?! Sent everyone trying to capture screenshots of what was going on in that onboard footage...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I showed Back to the Future I and II to my daughter. What did we ever see in those films?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Ha, remember Event Horizon?! Sent everyone trying to capture screenshots of what was going on in that onboard footage...
                                Hahahaha I spent quite a bit of time doing this myself, ridiculous film but quite the camp classic for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎