X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by rilu
    the link to the mainstream is indeed something worth discussing, thanks for the more info Shucks, i might actually go for that book.
    great! although maybe from what you were looking for in your earlier posts, the OTHER "minimalism in fashion" book by elyssa dimant, might be even more interesting for you. from what i gather, dimant's book takes more of a cross-disciplinary approach to minimalism, tracing relationships between fashion and art, for instance - probably more so than the one i bought.

Comment

• cremaster
      • Jan 2010

Who'd of thought the king of minimalism was a SZ acolyte??
      Or Faust were you an architect in another life?

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

HAHAH. Shit, I have to get this one! Thanks! Ornament is crime!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tron
          • Dec 2010

re: Yohji

There's a Wim Wenders film called "A notebook on cities and clothes" and its on youtube

as well there is the newer "This is my dream" but I cannot find it anywhere (please let me know if you do)
          "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• Atom
            • Sep 2009

From the i-D archives:
            Yohji Yamamoto
            Rei Kawakubo
            Vivienne Westwood
            Looking forward seeing all three of them.

Comment

• andrew
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Atom View Post
              From the i-D archives:
              Yohji Yamamoto
              Rei Kawakubo
              Vivienne Westwood
              There also seems to be a Rick one but amazon UK says it is in German and it doesnt appear to be on the taschen website even.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by tron View Post
                re: Yohji

There's a Wim Wenders film called "A notebook on cities and clothes" and its on youtube

as well there is the newer "This is my dream" but I cannot find it anywhere (please let me know if you do)
                Yahoo!オークションは、誰でも簡単に売り買いが楽しめる、日本最大のネットオークションサイトです。圧倒的な商品数を誇るYahoo!オークションで、落札・出品してみませんか?補償制度もあります。

well its an yjp

Comment

• syed
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by tron View Post
                  You can still pick up direct from Y-3. http://www.y-3store.com/gb/dvd-packa...6237037ci.html Plus I think a few other webstores actually still have it.
                  "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• stephlinn
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                    I would be very interested in something like that as well.
                    I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for
                    But the book Japan Fashion Now has great in depth writing from Valerie Steele and Yuniyo Kawamura, its focus is Japan, obviously, but it has a great section on the shift in the 80s.

Comment

• samlasamla
                      • Sep 2011

For those of us who appreciate more traditional tailored clothing just as much as the avant-garde:

Comment

• underdog
                        • Aug 2009

My copy of the new Tashen Comme des Garcons book arrived today. A much larger format than I was expecting - 12"x17," running 3/4" thick.

The contents are mostly what you can expect from a Tashen book by Terry Jones: though not 100%, almost entirely culled from i-D editorials. The earliest date I see from the i-D images is from 1990, though there are a couple of Peter Lindbergh images from 1982. The majority of images are from the mid to late 1990's to present though.

At the back there is a key to what issues from i-D each page came from. That leaves you wishing it had what season the clothing is from instead. Otherwise its visually stunning. I have yet to delve into the few text sections of the book.

Originally posted by Atom View Post
                        From the i-D archives:
                        Yohji Yamamoto
                        Rei Kawakubo
                        Vivienne Westwood

Comment

• cremaster
                          • Jan 2010

Death of the book. Death of print.
                          What about Fashion and Death - in book form, what could be better?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Laika introduced me to this text and I used it as an introductory text in the fashion writing course I taught at Parsons.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cremaster
                              • Jan 2010

I knew you'd be on to that one.
                              I love the sub title -
                              "Obviously you don't seem to know the power of fashion."

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by underdog View Post
                                My copy of the new Tashen Comme des Garcons book arrived today. A much larger format than I was expecting - 12"x17," running 3/4" thick.

The contents are mostly what you can expect from a Tashen book by Terry Jones: though not 100%, almost entirely culled from i-D editorials. The earliest date I see from the i-D images is from 1990, though there are a couple of Peter Lindbergh images from 1982. The majority of images are from the mid to late 1990's to present though.

At the back there is a key to what issues from i-D each page came from. That leaves you wishing it had what season the clothing is from instead. Otherwise its visually stunning. I have yet to delve into the few text sections of the book.

dunno man, i flipped thru it and the yohji one and i thought they looked cheap and sloppily put together. not even worth their low price.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎