X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cowsareforeating
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
    Philz's light roasts are still darker than almost anything from Four Barrel or Ritual. Their medium and dark roasts are cooked with the center of the sun (or something like it).
    Il second that. I had a few good cups 3-5 years back.

Barefoot isn't bad either coming out of South Bay. They have a honey processed Guatemalan right now that's golden - their "haiku" blend is also possibly the best espresso I've had.

I really like ritual although they flavors can be fairly intense and sometimes the flavor profile won't quite be perfect but I'd like to think they're just adventurous

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

wine >>>>>> coffee
      tell me which wineries r da best

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

There are very few wineries in SF.

Off the top of my head, there's just Bluxome Street, Dogpatch WineWorks, Harrington, and maybe 3-4 more. You can just hit them all.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• jippos
          • Mar 2007

sutton cellars in dogpatch is open many weekends. You can't go wrong with $5 wine tasting, and there's usually a food truck or something, too. Also currently available is a vin de noix, which I'd never had before, and a nice vermouth.

Then head over to Mr.and Mrs. Miscellaneous for some cookies.

Comment

• doldrums
            • Dec 2008

gonna be in sf soon for a conference and trying to survey hotel options -> any places to stay with good value? Work is paying but can't break the bank. Thanks!

Comment

• comedyzen
              • May 2009

Where is the conf? I send my friends here: http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/sanfrancisco/tomo/
              No thrills, but clean and fun rooms at a good price. If your conference is in/around the Fillmore District/J-Town, then this is your spot. It's not too far from downtown and there are buses that will get you in there easily.

If it's in Downtown/Union Square and you want to be near there, then this is a decent option: http://www.handlery.com/ that is cheaper than the usual suspects like Westin/W/Hilton. Plus you are spitting distance from The Archive.

Comment

• doldrums
                • Dec 2008

^ at Moscoe Center. But I probably won't attend much of it. Thanks for your help though -> PMd you!

Comment

• flag
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
                  blue bottle - not impressed
                  4 barrel - not impressed
                  ritual - need to try
                  sightglasss - need to try

i rarely hear people disliking philz so judge for yourself if you go, i get turkish coffee there and its always good.

side note blue bottle comes out acidic quiet often.
                  yeah, blue bottle is very hit and miss
                  some of their coffee comes out acidic

Comment

• drizzly
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by flag View Post
                    yeah, blue bottle is very hit and miss
                    some of their coffee comes out acidic
                    garbage imo

Comment

• modalsaliency
                      • May 2010

I was in SF last week for random nonsense and got to try Blue Bottle. It's not bad and had no acidic aftertaste. I'm not sure I get the popularity though, unless it's just hipster cred.

As with most fetishes, the people who line up to take part don't actually seem to want to have it. They mostly just want to want to have it.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

To my taste this whole single drip cup and aero press is total bullshit and just a way to get more money out of the consumer (laika, maybe taste IS gaining too much currency!).
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Peasant
                          • Jul 2009

Had the same arguement w my friend when we were there a few weeks ago. Now places have disposable, one-time-use cups w built in French presses. Dudes... It's coffe.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            To my taste this whole single drip cup and aero press is total bullshit and just a way to get more money out of the consumer (laika, maybe taste IS gaining too much currency!).
                            Eh, single cup is my favorite readily available way to make/get a cup of coffee. Most places don't charge any more for it than they do for the usual. Generally, you only pay inflated prices for clover cups.

Aeropress can suck it.

* Or at least tied with a chemex. I prefer vacuum/clover, but that's so much work.
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• gavagai
                              • May 2010

There is nothing bullshit about single cup drip. It offers a very different experience than standard drip, espresso or french press. Not better, but different. My preference is for french press but I often make a single drip at home.

The bullshit comes when shit coffee houses charge $5 a cup.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                                • Jan 2011

i would love to see transparency of this "direct trade" -- the markup at each step and cost of sourcing and roasting... i for one dont think the markup is THAT bad..

but you're paying for a way different flavor profile depending ont he brew method... i quite like aeropress actually. recently woodneck and aeropress have grown on me

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎