Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StatlerWaldorf
    • Jul 2011

going to be in SF Sept. 22 for a week. just watched a bunch of shows about SF on food network and some places that were showcased were Red's Java House and hrd cafe. anyone ever been? also looking for a good cafe w/ wifi to set up shop and get some work done.

Comment

• darkbydesign
      • Sep 2010

Weird.

I eat out a lot and have never been to either, but it's probably because they are in different neighborhoods than I live in. I think I was once filmed for Travel Channel at Supper Club for the special you saw.

Anyway, let me know what types of food and price ranges you are looking for and I'll provide you a list of my favorites.

If you are here the week of the 22nd, you'll also see all the Folsom Fair fetishists. haha 500,000 leather and fetish people and Love Fest (like Love Parade) is in Oakland that weekend too, then I believe there may also be Bluegrass festival in GG Park. All free...

Comment

• StatlerWaldorf
        • Jul 2011

Thanks! I did see the the supper club episode. Were you cooking?

I like good food, so I am open to all price ranges. I like the dives and chi chi places, but I tend to favor the dive. Looking for a good sushi and Chinese meal as well. For pizza, a friend mentioned a place called Arinells in the Mission.

Comment

• jippos
          • Mar 2007

For dives, I'd skip Red's. The location (right on the water) is cool, but really that's about it.
          But I would recommend Dottie's True Blue Cafe in the Tenderloin. Also nearby is Brenda's French Soul Food. Although not exactly dives, these are in a pretty divey area, and both are excellent. And who doesn't want to hang out in the Tenderloin, the most delicious sounding neighborhood in SF?

Oh, and you can't miss the Folsom Street Fair. Bring your gimp hood and a full bladder.

Comment

• darkbydesign
            • Sep 2010

^^^Yeah, Folsom Street Fair is the best event in San Francisco hands down.

Speaking of dives, you could always go to Hole in the Wall on Folsom for a beer, which will surround you by a mix of punks, gay leather men, and junkies. Pretty great place IMO. All punk music all night.

Comment

• comedyzen
              • May 2009

SF MOMA Dieter Rams

Finally got a chance to catch this exhibit of my favorite industrial designer, Dieter Rams @ SF MOMA. His design MO: "Less but Better," guided Braun for over 4 decades and has influenced the aesthetics of several products we use today. This exhibit ends in Feb 2012.

Dieter Rams: 10 Principles of Good Design.

Comment

• comedyzen
                • May 2009

The O.G. iPod:

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Damn, I want to see this! I assume there was a book to go with the exhibit?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• comedyzen
                    • May 2009

Assumption correct.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

So bummed to miss the above exhibit. Anyway, I will be in San Francisco for three days in the second part of April. Must-visit restaurants, coffee shops, books/magazine shops, exhibits, neighborhoods to stroll in?

Is Chez Panisse worth the trip/money?
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

Food:
                        Dim Sum Bar & Restaurant - 620 O'Farrel St.
                        Sushi Aka Tombo - 1737 Buchanan St.
                        Sally's Famous Fishwich - Pier 43 1/2, Fisherman's Warf; I don't recommend anything else on or near Fisherman's Warf.

Books:
                        City Lights Booksellers & Publishers - 261 Columbus Avenue

There's an excellent, smaller bookstore I visited staffed by a nice young lady and a grumpy old hippie. I think it's Adobe Book Shop on 3166 16th St. but I can't recall for sure.

I thought the Castro was underwhelming. I expected it to be gayer. Union Square has some good shopping, and it's all located inside of Barney's - Saks and the other menswear shops weren't very compelling to me when I visited.

Comment

• copacetic
                          • Nov 2010

chez panisse is sort of past being the next great thing, so i guess you might say it's past its prime.

the food on the plate is as good as ever, but the whole garden-to-table thing is being done elsewhere, so their influence isn't what it once was.

from a pure taste perspective (irrespective of humane animal treatment, organic, etc.), you can find more pleasurable food elsewhere.

honestly, if you're looking for the best tasting food, full stop, go to napa valley. french laundry is worth a trip for the food alone, as is cyrus. god, anything in yountville or calistoga really.
                          And "When the prince has gathered about him
                          "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• gavagai
                            • May 2010

Totally agree with Copacetic here. SF is absolutely loaded with incredible restaurants that have taken on Alice Waters' approach. Where you eat should depend upon what type of food you are interested in eating at the particular time.

If you are planning on shopping obviously check out The Archive.

I'd avoid Barney's as it is pretty shit compared to what is to be found in New York.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Ok, you two, but throw some names at me :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• copacetic
                                • Nov 2010

in san francisco proper, you should eat at the slanted door at the embarcadero, maybe even for lunch. get a nice citrusy cocktail, tons of great vietnamese food, and wash it down with a mini-bottle of saison dupont beer.

if you want food that is hands down delicious, go to gary danko or coi.

look up these as well: benu, sons & daughters, atelier crenn. (i'm recommending these new restaurants to you.)

willing to drive: wakuriya in san mateo and manresa in los gatos are outstanding. but honestly, if you're going to do some driving, go to napa. cyrus, etoile, and applewood are outstanding.
                                And "When the prince has gathered about him
                                "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎