Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skye X
    • Oct 2010

Sandwiches! That reminds me - Ike's in the Castro and Love N Haight in the Haight are far and away my favorite places for lunch, along with Blue Front Cafe (Mediterranean, and they brew decent coffee too - also in the Haight).

Comment

• sinnedk
      Banned
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Skye X View Post
      Sandwiches! That reminds me - Ike's in the Castro and Love N Haight in the Haight are far and away my favorite places for lunch, along with Blue Front Cafe (Mediterranean, and they brew decent coffee too - also in the Haight).
      ike's was on the food network and is truly a great place, i am acquainted with the owner, nice guy.

if you like deli this is def worth the trip, i have a friend from socal that makes sure to stop by ike's every time he is here

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
        For bars my favorite that I've been to is Smuggler's Cove for tiki/rum drinks. I know Bourbon and Branch is highly touted for the 1 week reservation in advance speak easy style bar as is Rickhouse/Alembic for having good drinks, but the latter two haven't particularly impressed me and I'm skeptical B&B will be better since it has the same owner/similar drinks to Rickhouse. Singlebarrel in San Jose is infinitely better than all of the above, but that's a distance away.
        Bourbon & Branch really stopped excelling years and years ago. Vastly superior cocktails can be found at Dalva Hideout.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Icarium
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
          Bourbon & Branch really stopped excelling years and years ago. Vastly superior cocktails can be found at Dalva Hideout.
          Ah thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out. The last hope I have had was 15 Romolo which I've heard is excellent and has some guys who have some chops/competition winners.

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

I haven't hit 15 romolo. I will check it out and report. Bit far north for my tastes, but I'll travel for liquor.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
              • Sep 2009

Philz is a winner if you like darker roasted blends for coffee. They make coffee well, and use single cup pourover. I don't particularly care for coffee roasted that darkly, and they do not do espresso drinks at all. My sister swears by Philz, as do a number of people on this thread.

For me, w.r.t. coffee, I'll take a cup out of the Clover at Ritual first, blue bottle second, and probably the single-cups from the side table at FourBarrel third.

For espresso, macchiatos and the like, the selection changes. Four Barrel is my favorite. Ritual roasts slightly darker, and less floral, than Four Barrel, but makes solid espresso drinks.

Bicycle is a surprisingly good roaster, but you need to brew your own. They roast only.
              the four barrel espresso is the best, it's all i drink. i'm also not a huge fan of philz; like you i prefer lighter roasts but mainly because the ambiance really gets me down...it's very college housing co-op-esque
              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

for lunch hit marina subs @ 2299 union street - best sandwich anywhere
                the restaurant at the top of neiman marcus @ union square is also good for lunch
                best bookstore is definitely green apple @ 506 clement street - i used to work there
                house of bagels @ 5030 geary blows away anything in new york
                the cliff house @ 1090 point lobos is great for brunch and has the most breathtaking view ever
                the golden gate bridge is the perfect place to end it all
                haight street has drugs and amoeba records if you're one of those people that still pays for music
                harlot @ 46 minna on saturday nights is the current hotspot afaik - if you want to go let me know in advance
                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Icarium
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                  the four barrel espresso is the best, it's all i drink. i'm also not a huge fan of philz; like you i prefer lighter roasts but mainly because the ambiance really gets me down...it's very college housing co-op-esque
                  Yeah I've heard it's fourbarrel or sightglass for the best coffee in San Francisco. I was struggling to remember fourbarrel... kept thinking singlebarrel but knew that was just crossed wiring. Don't drink coffee so tougher for me to remember :/

Comment

• sinnedk
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
                    Yeah I've heard it's fourbarrel or sightglass for the best coffee in San Francisco. I was struggling to remember fourbarrel... kept thinking singlebarrel but knew that was just crossed wiring. Don't drink coffee so tougher for me to remember :/
                    idk man, philz is higher rated by yelp and i dont know a single person that would choose something over philz

Comment

• gavagai
                      • May 2010

philz is good but they only do single cup drip and as stated above the place is a fucking dump. I go often and grab coffeee there but I always take it out. i don't sit in that rat infested furniture.

Fuck yelp. come on am I wrong here?

Four barrel is all around a higher standard. They do french press cups to go, highest quality espresso machines, single-cup drips and all the fancy milk + espresso drinks.

Also, it is located on Valencia so you can walk to the park or slap some hipsters. Philz is on 24th street and you might catch something or get mugged (slightly kidding here) but I wouldn't exactly send new people into the area...

Comment

• sinnedk
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                        philz is good but they only do single cup drip and as stated above the place is a fucking dump. I go often and grab coffeee there but I always take it out. i don't sit in that rat infested furniture.

Fuck yelp. come on am I wrong here?

Four barrel is all around a higher standard. They do french press cups to go, highest quality espresso machines, single-cup drips and all the fancy milk + espresso drinks.

Also, it is located on Valencia so you can walk to the park or slap some hipsters. Philz is on 24th street and you might catch something or get mugged (slightly kidding here) but I wouldn't exactly send new people into the area...
                        yes you are, there is a correlation between a good service provider (yelp reviews more than just restaurants) and bad is shown in reviews.

Example: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-archive-san-francisco
                        Archive is considered a good store and has good reviews

also there are several philz and i was only talking about the coffee, i never sit there

Comment

• Skye X
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by sinnedk View Post
                          idk man, philz is higher rated by yelp and i dont know a single person that would choose something over philz
                          I'll choose Blue Bottle every time. Since I'm in the east bay anyway, I go directly to the roastery near Jack London square. It's far and away the best coffee (both drip and espresso) I've ever had.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sinnedk View Post
                            I hang out with foodies and geeks, and Philz is not on anyone's radar any more. It just doesn't compete at the level of some of the other places. It's a fine cup of coffee, but not an interesting one.

Philz is still super popular as it's a reliable, quick, good cup of coffee available in many locations. But, please, do yourself a favor, and try a good coffee from the clover at ritual, or a single cup drip from the side table at four barrel, or something well done from blue bottle before you declare philz the end-all.

There are Burger Kings with 5 stars on yelp. Nothing more to add.

Comment

• Skye X
                              • Oct 2010

There are Burger Kings with 5 stars on yelp. Nothing more to add.
                              Oh, SNAP!

In other news, we should have an SF SZ meetup while zboss is in town. Who's game?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Also taking recommendations for good vegetarian places!

EDIT: Totally, Sky X. Well, soon, you will know why I am in SF, so I am sure we will all meet ;-)
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎