X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

When I read his interviews, I've never seen blatant ego...I've seen a kind of undeniable confidence that translates from the fact you can tell he doesn't pick and choose his words too carefully.
    Designers and artists aren't supposed to be spokespeople. They're supposed to ramble and put their foot into their mouths once in a while.
    The same kind of semi-controlled recklessness that creates new visions and creative directions is the same side of the brain that does interviews. He could play it safe and reserved and calculated but clearly he tends to ramble openly (and I mean that in a good way) when a lot of designers would be very cautious and careful with questions.
    I respect that about him and I can see that side in some of his work...he probably does some pieces even though he knows they won't be necessarily successful out of impulse and instinct.
    And I think that separates the men from the boys...pursuing instinct in creation rather than calculated (ie: marketable) sensibility if that makes sense.

More than anything, I like the fact that he seems to take it all with a grain of salt. From beginning to end...from his success to his failures or limitations, his imitators, the financial and business aspects to the very future of his lines...I think even if I wasn't a fan of his work, I could at least read his interviews and very much appreciate his approach to everything.

The very fact that he understands that he has to on some level inject the 'common man' into what he creates says a lot about him.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• diamonds
      • Dec 2006

the helmut lang was probably meant to say helmut lang new york

let's be honest

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

for sure

the namedropping seemed pretty facile to me anyway
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• gsamsa
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          That is why I find it strange when people say that Rick is arrogant. I don't think he is, because he KNOWS his limitations. He always seems earnest about what he does. Even if the prints come out tacky, for example, they will be his tacky prints - something he tried to do on his own terms. I don't know - there is something essentially human about that, and it's attractive. Sometimes you can almost see his struggle reflected in the product.
          It might have something to do with the new audience he has attracted.The mainstream fashion media and their readers,sometimes confuse,or consider straight answers as a trait of arrogance. Interviews for the more mainstream designers are tend to be more of a platform for them to lay out their current concepts,most of the time are contemplated/scripted,appear to be more scrupulous.

Rick's interviews always have this intimate quality,his answers are more spontaneous and personal.I prefer those responses much more,I believe most of people who know him when the label was still considered as niche appreciate his personality,too.Since we turn niche for there are too much bullshit else where.

Comment

• Servo2000
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by diamonds View Post
            the helmut lang was probably meant to say helmut lang new york

let's be honest
            i figured they were referring pretty specifically to about 5 or 6 looks in the most recent collection that were in off white / brown grey shades that have a very rick / alexander wang thing going on with the crotch-flap tanks and layers of loose baggy basics etc...
            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• andrewislasorad
              • Nov 2006

An odd exchange with Rick, worth a quick look through, some interesting tidbits

RICK OWENS BOYS F/W 09.10 BACKSTAGE

10 Magazine F/W 09.10

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                Banned
                • Aug 2009

Apologies if these have been posted before. I just stumbled across them and hadn't seen them before so thought I'd share. They're from HUgE magazine (courtesy of http://thefashionisto.com/blog/category/designers/rick-owens/)

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

stylin' that rick like it's way beck in the days.
                  let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• meh. boring photos. boring styling. looks more bland than the lookbook shots.

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2009

I love HUgE's styling. I used to have a subscription but it ran out and now I can't get it anymore. Shame, because I really want the current 'DandyISM' issue

Comment

• beardown
                        rekoner
                        • Feb 2009

It's a shame that the HuGe photographer doesn't use a fill flash. B&W can be really beautiful, especially with Rick's gray palette...but without being able to see the textures and details on those pieces, they look like people wearing giant black blobs.

It may be my monitor but what's the point of showing clothing in a magazine if the photogs can't capture the beauty and nuance of what you're spotlighting? I'm not familiar with the magazine so I'm not trying to rag on them but honestly....I think I'm just tired of magazine editorial photo pages that appear to focus way more on the model than the clothing.
                        Originally posted by mizzar
                        Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• diamonds
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                          It's a shame that the HuGe photographer doesn't use a fill flash. B&W can be really beautiful, especially with Rick's gray palette...but without being able to see the textures and details on those pieces, they look like people wearing giant black blobs.

It may be my monitor but what's the point of showing clothing in a magazine if the photogs can't capture the beauty and nuance of what you're spotlighting? I'm not familiar with the magazine so I'm not trying to rag on them but honestly....I think I'm just tired of magazine editorial photo pages that appear to focus way more on the model than the clothing.
                          in the actual magazine version you can see all the clothes and details.

Comment

• crz
                            • Apr 2008

^not really.. i just had a look. the textures could have been brought out a lot more

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

nice try beardown lol
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Raw
                                • Oct 2009

Hi, I have a question about drkshdw black waxed detroits. Is there a difference between 'du 3353' and 'du 1353'? thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎