Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
    Looking to dive deeper into the Comme des Garcons universe and wondering if you guys had any books to recommend? Not interested in only the clothes/photography/stores but also the business side of things. I've read the articles of Adrian Joffe at BoF which were great.

ReFusing Fashion as well as Rei Kawakubo & Comme des Garcons by Deyan Sudjic are the best imo.

There's never really been a satisfactory book on all aspects of Comme des Garcons. Most rely on tired explanations and reiterations that you might as well have photocopied from one book to the next. It's obvious that few have wanted to delve into the original reaction (particularly from the press) when Kawakubo and Yamamoto began showing in Paris. Kawamura has danced around it at best. The short section in Style Deficit Disorder is even better than most.

Comment

• Null12
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
      Yeah buy it, for that price it's a good addition to your book collection
      My thoughts exactly. I finally got around to getting it the other day.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I have one left. Can't comment on the quality since I wrote an essay in it :)
      Haha, yeah I saw that!

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I have one left, if anyone still wants to buy.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• line.theory
          • Feb 2011

^ I picked one up from some random seller on amazon a while ago and thought it was well-worth it. good, detailed pictures, nice overview of past Boris collections, and some interesting essays. someone should nab Faust's last copy.

Edit: And FWIW, none of the listings on bookfinder.com panned out, so the search continues! It looks as if there's at least one other person here looking for it (?), so if I get any promising leads I'll pass them on.
          Last edited by line.theory; 07-14-2014, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• xeraphim
            • Nov 2008

^ yohji flagship on conduit st (london) had it when i last dropped by.

Comment

• dommoney
              • Jul 2014

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good book to read that discusses 20th century American or British subcultures?

I found this: American Countercultures: An Encyclopedia of Polticial, Social, Religious, and Artistic Movements (3 Volumes)

However, I'm not sure of its credibility and would like some suggestions and/or reviews.

Comment

• yack
                • May 2011

Originally posted by dommoney View Post
                Does anyone have any recommendations on a good book to read that discusses 20th century American or British subcultures?

I found this: American Countercultures: An Encyclopedia of Polticial, Social, Religious, and Artistic Movements (3 Volumes)

However, I'm not sure of its credibility and would like some suggestions and/or reviews.

Well since this is a fashion literature thread, I'm guessing dont mind something thats just fashion oriented? I read a bit of this recently after googling for "made in USA tshirts" (no luck with that 'cept AA) and it could be of interest:

Maybe its a little dry as an academic paper but I think its a good primer for those that dont know much like me and sets up all the major American masculine icons and their relevance to fashion today. It definitely mirrors all the discussions on here. As an American I don't really think about it, the Marlboro man is just an accepted fact of American life we've all looked up to since we were 4.

There's never really been a satisfactory book on all aspects of Comme des Garcons. Most rely on tired explanations and reiterations that you might as well have photocopied from one book to the next. It's obvious that few have wanted to delve into the original reaction (particularly from the press) when Kawakubo and Yamamoto began showing in Paris. Kawamura has danced around it at best. The short section in Style Deficit Disorder is even better than most.
                That book looks really interesting from the previews, hope they have it at a local uni. They have a lot of the fashion books like "top 10 designers of all time". For some reason they all put Yohji last.
                Last edited by yack; 08-06-2014, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• sheal
                  • Mar 2011

Seminal classics:

- Irving Penn Issey book
                  - All of the Raf ones (I wish I didn't leave one out in the sun cuz my corners are all "dyed"
                  - Rick obviously... There's one missing from my collection
                  - Yohji
                  - There's a bunch of stuff I "had" to buy for school but actually enjoyed as normal reading material

Comment

• markyman
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by xeraphim View Post
                    upcoming yohji monograph by rizzoli:

I'm a fan of his work especially the insane designs of his coats and jackets.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                      • Apr 2014

The Ann book is soon to arrive! just about two more weeks for me(Amazon).

Comment

• Aurum
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
                        The Ann book is soon to arrive! just about two more weeks for me(Amazon).

My copy arrived earlier this week...it's exactly what I think so many of us wish for in a designer's retrospective: a clean, simple layout + many quality images. I particularly like the placement of the photographs...it really gives each print an opportunity to speak without having to vie for the viewer's attention.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yamamoto & Yohji

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hausofblaq
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Just ordered it today, should be arriving in my mail on Thursday. Just from the several pictures that Faust posted along with the review, the book looks to be beautiful inside and out.

Comment

• Tafkap
                              • Oct 2006

Cream 04: Undercover
                              I once owned this book. To say that I regret selling it years ago would be an understatement. Beautiful velvet, exceptional printing and content.

Comment

• interest1
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tafkap View Post

Cream 04: Undercover
                                I once owned this book. To say that I regret selling it years ago would be an understatement. Beautiful velvet, exceptional printing and content.

Felt the same pang of regret about an out-of-print FĂ©licien Rops book I sold back to the very book store I bought it from years earlier. Don't ask me how it ended up on my coffee table a decade later. Everything always comes back around. And I do mean everything.
                                sain't

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎