Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • (((o
    • May 2009

Photography by Samuel Willett except first Photograph by Marino Thorlacius.
    i've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

I attended this presentation,
      it was a very haunting, poetic experience............not like some shows where you just attend and that's it,..........
      the whole experience moved something inside you

Sruli is one of the most interesting designers working today, both in his personality and his ideas expressed in fashion/ clothing.............He is a designer worth supporting and paying attention to, being around him is never a dull moment
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• birdytg
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by zamb View Post

Sruli is one of the most interesting designers working today, both in his personality and his ideas expressed in fashion/ clothing.............He is a designer worth supporting and paying attention to, being around him is never a dull moment
        I second that.
        Sruli has a very "Fine Arts" artistic expression and brings it brillantly to Fashion! Certainly one of the most interesting designers today!
        http://www.mypixeldiary.com
        http://www.birdytg.com
        www.birdytg.blogspot.fr
        http://www.facebook.com/birdy.tg
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mypixeldiary

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I wish I could better present the cover Sruli did for StyleZeitgeist magazine, but no photo could do that - you'd have to feel it. It's not just a beautifully crafted product, but when you hold it, it raises questions in your mind. THAT is worth of the adjective "designer."
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I wish I could better present the cover Sruli did for StyleZeitgeist magazine, but no photo could do that - you'd have to feel it. It's not just a beautifully crafted product, but when you hold it, it raises questions in your mind. THAT is worth of the adjective "designer."
            Just ordered the basking shark cover edition of the SZ mag :) . It's just too special and unique of a leather to not to pick up both in support of SZ as well as Sruli. I'll be converting it into my lab/design notebook in the same way the horsehide ones direct from Sruli have been my go-to pocket ideas books for the last year or so!

Looking forward to the next collection and thank you Oskar for continuing to bring forward details and images of Sruli's work!
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Rosenrot
              • Aug 2010

After seeing this, I'm starting to wonder why more designers aren't combining some form of dance that actually paints the narrative behind the collection.
              Originally posted by Patroklus
              Better too adventurous than not enough
              everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• (((o
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                Looking forward to the next collection and thank you Oskar for continuing to bring forward details and images of Sruli's work!
                It's my pleasure. I'm glad that others are as intrigued by his work as I am.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Thanks, Albert! You won't be disappointed.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• (((o
                    • May 2009

A teaser pic he posted on his facebook.

Comment

• rebenka
                      • Jan 2011

SRULI RECHT: CIRCUMSOLAR

Images and Video from Sruli''s Circumsolar presentation. Enjoy.

Icelandic fashion designer Sruli Recht has used translucent lambskin, stripy skunk fur, an ancient meteorite and fabric that can withstand mortar attacks in his latest menswear collection. The spring/summer 2013 collection, called Circumsolar, was unveiled in Paris on the last day of June.

Circumsolar by Sruli Recht from Dezeen on Vimeo.

Translucent leather has been used to make a vest, shoes and passport holder.

Last edited by rebenka; 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• rebenka
                        • Jan 2011

Leather made from horses and ostriches has been used to make two large penis forms, called Shaft and Sheath.

Some of the linings and undergarments are made from a high-tech paraffin cooling knit, which rapidly cools the skin on contact. Ballistic aramid, a material used in body armour to protect against bomb and knife attacks, has been used to make a brimless hat.

The Epoch ring is made from the Muonionalusta meteorite, which fell into the Arctic Circle about one million years ago. The striped marks on the ring are a result of the shock impact with earth.

A silk and cashmere scarf has been digitally printed with an image of the sun’s solar wind by artist B. Börkur Éiriksson and produced by couture fabric house Ratti.

Another bomber jacket is made from dark green lamb’s leather, which has been fused with aluminium in the top layers of the epidermis.

Skunk fur has been used to make a bomber jacket with a white stripe running down the arms.
                        Last edited by rebenka; 07-10-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• rebenka
                          • Jan 2011

The majority of the clothes are constructed from a single pattern piece and one piece of material.

Here’s some more information from the designer:

“This collection is drawn by the dust of a meteor’s tail in orbital decay, illuminated by our sun.” – Sruli Recht, June, 2012.

The collection in three words – Solar, Polarising, Circular.

The Circumsolar collection for Spring and 2013 consists of 24 total looks – from light coats, tailored jackets and cardigans, to trousers, shorts and leggings, complemented by hats, boots, shoes, bags, gloves, sunglasses and jewellery – 55 styles, approximately 105 items with material variations.

The majority of the garments/ items are constructed from a single pattern piece and one piece of material, where the width of the material allows. In the case of the shirts, the cuff and placket come from the same piece of fabric as the sleeve, which is also part of the body and collar. Our shoes are hand-lasted in-house and completely hand-sewn.

This season employs a global selection of waxed cottons, leathers and silks, and timber, complemented by Icelandic reindeer and horse skin. Our buttons this season, an Obol, are made from oxidized metal alloy rods, designed, moulded and drop-cast in the studio.

Everything in the collection is made in Iceland.

MATERIALS

Featured sourced materials: meteorite, translucent leather, black gold, ballistic aramid, high-tech paraffin cooling linings, skunk fur, aluminium-infused lamb skin and bamboo suiting.

Transparent Leather. Made from the purest lambs – for if you remove the sole of an animal before its passing, the skin becomes transparent.
                          Muonionalusta Meteorite. Considered the oldest meteorite to have impacted the earth, the Muonionalusta Meteorite has passed through four Ice-ages, having fallen into the Arctic Circle about 1 million years ago.

Solar Burned Black Gold. For if you take the gold from the teeth of the passed during the daylight hours, it will become black when reworked.

High-Tech Paraffin Cooling Knit. Used in military and medical applications, this material rapidly cools the skin on contact. This season we have used it for both linings and undergarments.

Ballistic Aramid. Known for its employment in military ballistic protection, aramid fibres are used in layers to stop mortar and knife attacks.

Skunk. Historically referred to as Alaskan Sable, the skunk’s fur is a shimmering black with a white V running from head to tail. This fur consists of two layers, a soft inner fur (25-40mm long), and longer guard hairs (35-80mm long) which are of a coarser texture than the under fur.

Lamb-coated Aluminium. Before departing, the lamb is placed partly submerged in a tank, where through scientific application the aluminium, like adamantium, is fused between the first few layers of the epidermis.
                          Bamboo Suiting. Traditionally Bamboo was used to make hats and shoes in Japan and China. Moso bamboo has many advantages as a raw material for textiles over materials such as cotton. The plants can reach up to 35 metres tall and are the fastest growing woody plants on earth. The high growth rate of bamboo and the fact that it can grow in such diverse climates makes the bamboo plant a sustainable and versatile resource.

GARMENTS

Feature Garments: Limited items from the new collection of Sruli Recht for Spring and Summer 2013, Circumsolar.
                          *Some items made to order only

Show Piece One – Carapace*

SR549 – Translucent Leather Vest – Made from the purest lambs – for if you remove the sole of an animal before its passing, the skin becomes transparent.

SR550 – Translucent Five-Dimensional Lamb Leather Parchment Shoes
                          To be placed on at birth and again at death, for in dimension 5, they are the parenthesis of this twisted mass, I.

Show Piece Three – Epoch*

SR540b – Large Acid-Etched Ring from the Muonionalusta Meteorite.
                          By the hands of one blacksmith, acid, and the coincidence of gravity’s pull on a passing octahedrite, comes the ring EPOCH, sheared and formed from the Muonionalusta Meteorite. Considered the oldest meteorite to have impacted the earth, the Muonionalusta Meteorite has passed through four Ice-ages, having fallen into the Arctic Circle about one million years ago. The linear striations are naturally occurring as a result of the heavy shock impact with the planet.

Show Piece Four* – Supermassive

SR527a – Skunk Fur High Collar Bomber

Feature Piece One – In Solar Wind

SR534 – Digital-Print Silk and Cashmere Scarf.
                          2.5m long Skarf [70% WS 30% SE], with digital print of our Sun’s solar wind, by artist B. Börkur Éiriksson, produced by couture fabric house Ratti.

Feature Piece Two – From Kinetic Energy

SR523 – Hand Knitted Cowl Sweater [100% Organic CO].

Feature Piece Three – Supermassive

SR527c – Dark Green High Collar Bomber from Aluminium-infused Lambskin.

Feature Piece Four – May Your Duty Dance With Death

SR520c – Ballistic-Proof Brimless Hat [100% WV 100% Kevlar].

Feature Non-Product: Limited items from the new collection of Sruli Recht for Spring and Summer 2013, Circumsolar.
                          *some items made to order only

Feature Product One – Shaft*

SR528a – Blood-Red Layered Penis Form, Icelandic Horse Leather

Feature Product Two – Sheath*

SR503a – Black Leather Ribbed Prophylactic, Ostrich Leather

Feature Product Three – White Albedo*

SR507 – Drift-White Rimless Cherry Wood Frames – with clear or tinted lenses.

Feature Product Four – The Great Transition*

SR531a – Single piece translucent leather passport holder, with sections for travel documents, 4 sim cards, pen and paper currency.

Feature Product Four – From Decaying Orbit

SR542b – Twisted bracelet of blackened gold, shaped to the path the earth takes around our sun, with one polished edge.

This season brought our first officially scheduled Paris runway presentation and performance. Featuring the choreography and performance of artist Tony Orrico. Original score from acclaimed composer Nico Muhly. Presented as runway and performance within the epic spaces of Palais Brongniart, Paris.

The Sruli Recht studio is a cross-discipline practice caught somewhere between product design, tailoring and shoe making. Based in Reykjavík, the studio rose to notoriety as it began in 2008 to produce one “non-product” every month from umbrellas to bulletproof scarves, tables, to belts and boots, and incorporating such materials as concrete, diamonds, skin and wool. The studio produces two seasonal menswear lines per year.

Movie credits:

SRULI RECHT S/S 2013

Circumsolar
                          and fragments of dying light
                          June 30, 2012
                          Featuring the choreography and performance of artist Tony Orrico.
                          Original score from acclaimed composer Nico Muhly.
                          Presented as runway and performance within the epic spaces of Palais Brongniart, Paris.

All info, images and text from www.dezeen.com (http://www.dezeen.com/2012/07/10/cir...y-sruli-recht/)

Photographs are by Marinó Thorlacius.

Thankyou

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

zboss

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rebenka
                              • Jan 2011

bigger, better, and beardier than ever. Knowing that I'm studying the same fashion degree as Sruli makes me feel like I almost have a future that doesn't completely revolve around doll cheques and food stamps...

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by merz
                                indeed, it may very well revolve around knobby black leather dildos.

but, dildos aside, that is a lovely presentation filled with the sort of answers that questions in the 'next' thread have been prompting. I'm not particularly fond of the silhouettes here and would find it difficult to work them into my wardrobe, but i'll support this stuff as much as i can. perhaps it will travel on the same wavelength as i again (as it did with the first fall/winter collection..)

Q,
                                Im glad you like it, its not for me either, in terms of style, but without question this man is one of the most interesting designers working in menswear today, and doing some very, dare I say "seminal" work, which is not something you can say about many other designers.
                                one does not have to wear a certain style to appreciate what a designer is doing creatively.................I also like that he and his team is making everything themselves, from doing the same damn thing I can tell you its a headache................we had dinner in Paris and he was having some of the same issues that is giving me fits in NYC by trying to produce everything ourselves
                                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎