• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by oulipien View Post
    Eh, there is a big difference between knowledge and snobbery. You can definitely be knowledgeable without being a snob and you can be a snob without being particularly knowledgeable (which is the worst of both worlds). Someone using knowledge or expertise as a cudgel perhaps should apologize, because that's a dick move, even though knowledge, expertise, and taste, and their exercise, in themselves are all good things.
    Unfortunately, in today's culture the two are equated way too often.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

Yes but to be fair you know me enough to be aware that I don't conflate the two

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
        Yes but to be fair you know me enough to be aware that I don't conflate the two
        Sure, I was not talking about you
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

Ok that wasn't obviously since the original comment about snobbery was mine, but let's not make this à PERSONAL conversation, let's keep it to principles :)

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
            • Sep 2015

Since school is so close to coming to an end for me, my joy of leisure reading has been reinvigorated. I finished Wise Blood (which had an ending I should've seen coming), just finished The Great Divorce (which was alright, I didn't really have a good sense of where I was...) and now I've started The Sheltering Sky - I'm seven chapters in and I'm loving it so far.
            who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• amandaluuuuu
              • Sep 2015

Currently on my second half of "The 7 habits of highly effective people". After few business books, I made myself to come back and re-read these pages while planning my start-up path.
              Still looking for some super interesting novels or fictional books worth reading for summer as well if anyone has suggestions :D
              Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn—and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

It's hard to make suggestions without knowing anything about your tastes. For all we know you could be the kind of person who loves the Da Vinci code. Hopefully not, but these people obviously exist in large numbers, so...

Comment

• Slin
                  • Mar 2016

To rebound on "The 7 habits of highly effective people", Amandaluuuu you can read "4 hour work week" by Tomm Ferriss. It is really interesting.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                    • Sep 2008

Recently I got randomly caught up in a documentary about bitcoin and how it is effecting the banking sector, on tv.
                    The documentary got me really interested in how banks and the whole financial sector works and would like to read some more about this, to get a basic understanding.

Could someone recommend me a book that would learn me more about this? I was looking at 'The Heretic's Guide to Global Finance' but not sure if that is the right place to start.

Comment

• ElenaSkacenko
                      • Jun 2016

Eat Pray Love!

After having seen the movie, i was tempted to read the book so I'm currently reading Eat, Pray, Love!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ElenaSkacenko View Post
                        After having seen the movie, i was tempted to read the book so I'm currently reading Eat, Pray, Love!
                        Galia's favorite!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Galia's favorite!
                          #eatpraylove #fitspo
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

Oh my God

Comment

• DKModum
                              • Jun 2016

I just recently finished Maestra by LS Hilton.

It was described to me as Fifty Shades meets Talented Mr. Ripley. I found it more Ripley but there certainly was a lot of fifty shades style scenes in it.

It was a great book and hard to put down.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                                • Sep 2014

Few recent reads...

The Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison (has not lost its relevance whatsoever)
                                Hunger - Knut Hamsun
                                The Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann (found through the Paul Schrader film, Mishima: a Life in Four Chapters -- when the author is asked who his favourite writer is); I highly recommend this work.

Currently enjoying A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell, nice change in what I typically read, mostly to get a better grasp of the topics raised in "The Magic Mountain".

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎