Clear All
  • endersgame
    • Aug 2009

so you're paying a thousand a month?

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
      sorry, i need to correct myself, that was a figure for someone in their 70's. i've never had to look for insurance myself, but it was shocking to hear that figure nonetheless. you would think medicare + some supplemental insurance would suffice..

starting spring of next year, united healthcare will buy up my current health insurance provider. which leaves us with nothing to choose from in private insurance..
      Is Medicare insufficient? I'm pretty sure the price is a private insurer technique for ensuring they don't need to deal with old people. I mean, you can buy a lot of care on top of medicare for 2k/month.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

i'm not entirely sure, i think medicare covers hospital stays, but normal doctors visits, prescription drugs may be subsidized but also requires out of pocket costs. paying $2k may be for someone who is high-risk as cjbreed mentioned.

all i know is that you need to be 65 to get medicare and by that time, i would need 10x the medical care i am on now..lolz.

and that's not including dental/vision/etc. if you don't want dentures, dental implants are like what, $5k a tooth right now?

Comment

• sam_tem
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
          its f*cking shameful. i can't even get insurance without going thru the "high risk pool" and paying like $1000/month just for myself. i'm less than half of 70. health care in this country is the most fucked up thing i can imagine. and it absolutely blows my mind that there are people out there that argue against doing anything to change it.
          i'll admit i'm lucky (pay $25/month for my health insurance) since i have a decent job, but it still baffles the hell out of me why people don't want to change health care. in the end who cares if the obama's overhaul is a failure, we're already dealing with a system that is guaranteed to crash and burn.

health insurance SHOULD NOT be provided by your employer. i find it perverse and cruel that one not only has to have a college degree, but a decent job as well in order to get health care in this country. i wouldn't even think of buying it if i didn't get it through my employer. i'd crawl in there half-dead and then just never pay the bill.

i'm also tired of having a stagnant salary (w inflation taken into account) because of health care inflation far surpassing normal inflation. i'm not going to say it's because of salaries as the job market should be based on supply and demand, but medicare has allowed our system to become mind-bogglingly overbuilt. there's probably 20 state of the art hospitals with every brand new machine known to man within 15 mins of my house. i know people hate standing in lines or waiting days to go to the doctor, but is this convenience really worth jeopardising our countries future over?

i try not to look at it as generational theft, but if we're not going to cut back on entitlements right now i don't want to hear/see any old fat people crying out against illegal immigration. i need those immigrants to foot the bill for my medicare/SS in the future.

Comment

• croatoan
            • Jul 2007

Finally getting out to New York for the first time. Leaving on the red eye Thursday night and will be there for ten nights.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Damn straight, sam_tem. What the poor tolerate in this country is baffling. No bigger joke has been pulled on humanity.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by croatoan View Post
                Finally getting out to New York for the first time. Leaving on the red eye Thursday night and will be there for ten nights.

just a heads up temperatures are steady at 30-35 with high humidity..
                really nasty time to be visiting..

Comment

• croatoan
                  • Jul 2007

Yeah not looking forward to that. I was in Tokyo through last summer, though, so I should be right at home. Plus it is for work, so the scheduling can't quite be avoided.

Comment

• whitney
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
                    i'll admit i'm lucky (pay $25/month for my health insurance) since i have a decent job, but it still baffles the hell out of me why people don't want to change health care. in the end who cares if the obama's overhaul is a failure, we're already dealing with a system that is guaranteed to crash and burn.

health insurance SHOULD NOT be provided by your employer. i find it perverse and cruel that one not only has to have a college degree, but a decent job as well in order to get health care in this country. i wouldn't even think of buying it if i didn't get it through my employer. i'd crawl in there half-dead and then just never pay the bill.

i'm also tired of having a stagnant salary (w inflation taken into account) because of health care inflation far surpassing normal inflation. i'm not going to say it's because of salaries as the job market should be based on supply and demand, but medicare has allowed our system to become mind-bogglingly overbuilt. there's probably 20 state of the art hospitals with every brand new machine known to man within 15 mins of my house. i know people hate standing in lines or waiting days to go to the doctor, but is this convenience really worth jeopardising our countries future over?

i try not to look at it as generational theft, but if we're not going to cut back on entitlements right now i don't want to hear/see any old fat people crying out against illegal immigration. i need those immigrants to foot the bill for my medicare/SS in the future.
                    its not just the health insurance system its the medical system. america is interested in treating patients when only they're on the brink of death; and invest more in treating problems once they arise rather then looking into preventive measures..for obvious reasons, its not as lucrative.

i actually rather have the employer pay for health care insurance because the majority of them foot a great deal of the bill and they also get better plans since they buy in bulk, then it is to buy individual..thats not to say having the government stepping in and bargaining for the general public isn't a good idea..just not sure how i feel yet about that.

but when employers have to pay for their employees the employers are often the ones that lose out, e.g. pay the piper, so thats why a lot of employers rather hire part-time then full times, so they don't have to offer this benefit..or eliminate it altogether.

the plans are pretty complicated, people think its great to pay a low monthly fee but usually that comes with a high deductible which you'd have to pay off before the insurance kicks in..not to mention when they do cover some cover at 70%, some 50%, some 100% depending on service..and medicine..copay..

but, long reply short i'm for employers paying for health insurance or part of it, offering it, because it'll be really hard for those with a predisposed condition to be able to buy insurance and when they do it is at a freaking high ass rate............and being insured through your company you pay just like everyone else, regardless of your prior medical conditions.
                    you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

jetlag sucks
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                        • Jan 2010

Welcome on board they say
                        For once there has been no delay
                        These tracks lead to where the heaviest side leads us
                        Too early to tell
                        Our carriage will stop at noon
                        So, sleep for we'll be arriving soon
                        MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Peasant
                          • Jul 2009

^Damn..that's severe. I like it.

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                            so you're paying a thousand a month?
                            fuck no i'm uninsured.

its seriously infuriating.

i'm no michael moore enthusiast but this bit from sicko is right on...

and this one about HMOs

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

epic

From left to right: George Nelson, Edward Wormley, Eero Saarinen, Harry Bertoia, Charles Eames and Jens Risom. Playboy 1961 shoot for “Greatest minds in furniture design” article.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Vanna
                                • May 2008

Is it good luck to iphone a severed rabbit leg?

Life is a hiiighway

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎