X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stereophobic
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
    perhaps u are right, but on the otherhand in the article it said that the negative comments he was getting in response to his tweets were depressing him. did you read it?
    It's silly and kind of sad that he should react that way to someone calling his tweets "boring" imho... we don't live on the set of 80s action movies.
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
      • Sep 2009

what's silly and sad is if people can't handle the repercussions of their own tweets...not sure if I blame twitter for this one or just people in general.

reality is complicated enough, why get too mixed up in virtual reality...?
      my point is, if i had kids (i don't) i most certainly would not let them use twitter!

(not really hoping for anyone to comment any further on this...i'd have to agree with hobo this convo. should be incinerated! but if you need to say something i'll read it...)
      http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

the original discussion was kind of a wreck, but on the other hand the topic of these social networking mediums and their effect can be an interesting discussion point.. I don't know, perhaps we need to make this thread dissapear and start a new one if there is any interest?
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• dolochov
          • Aug 2009

the crux of twitter which also applies accordingly for most of the web 2.0 pages is the bad influence it has on people's attention spans. Especially adolescents who excessively have frequented such pages lack the ability to smoothly read through a text of multiple pages without being distracted since they are only accustomed to short paragraphes.
          It doesn't necessarily have this influence on everyone using web 2.0, but if your vast majority of reading takes place on the internet you'll likely unlearn to smoothly read a book for multiple hours of time, I sensed these bad side effects on myself as well.

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

re: genevieveryoko's comment - going by that assertion, anyone with the slightest sensitivity or imbalance should completely keep off the internet or any medium, face to face or virtual that would possibly expose them to any kind of confrontation or criticism or even the slightest knock the wind that would throw off a balance that can't be maintained anyway. Live and let learn...if somebody doesn't have the constitution to get back up after having been knocked down however many times then fuck it, what's the point anyway...

but ultimately yes, i can agree with the overall philosophy of your argument. There's enough pushing and shoving in day to day life, adding one more superfluous arena for such exposure might very well not be worth it.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

just read that Stephen Fry article in full...heh, i remember an acquaintance of mine telling me he supported Twitter despite its vastness of garbage because of the occasional odd gem like Fry's stream. I'm no Stephen Fry, but that piece did bring a nostalgic smirk out of me, reminded me of myself from not too long ago.
              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                re: genevieveryoko's comment - going by that assertion, anyone with the slightest sensitivity or imbalance should completely keep off the internet or any medium, face to face or virtual that would possibly expose them to any kind of confrontation or criticism or even the slightest knock the wind that would throw off a balance that can't be maintained anyway. Live and let learn...if somebody doesn't have the constitution to get back up after having been knocked down however many times then fuck it, what's the point anyway...
                I do suppose there is a difference between being thrown off balance (challenged, questioning your existence, etc.) and being clinically depressed.

And there's a difference between getting thrown off balance virtually and in real life...I should like to think it's a lot more valuable to learn from these "knocks of wind" in real life than on twitter.

Agreed though, if you lack the constitution for it...fuck it - if you're an adult you must learn to wade knee deep through heaps of BS on the internet - I suppose it's the same with magazines and newspapers - but if you are a child, it is another story (as Dolochov already said).

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

yep, all good points...

Ironically, I used to have a roller coaster of a ride wading through the internet back when my real life was all still waters and chirping crickets. Nowadays I don't place as much currency in online discussions and intrigue as I did before but my real life situation is approaching a level of chaos on par with gimme shelter...
                  www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                    the original discussion was kind of a wreck, but on the other hand the topic of these social networking mediums and their effect can be an interesting discussion point.. I don't know, perhaps we need to make this thread dissapear and start a new one if there is any interest?
                    yes, it does have the potential to be interesting, and make an impact - for example, i'm going to go un-join y**p now.

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

Comment

• hobo
                        • Jul 2009

Well, I suppose that being as I started this thread, I ought to contribute to it. Besides, it is getting quite interesting now that everyone has cooled it, a bit!

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                        Twitter breaking news:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

The end is nigh...
                        I think that this is more about Stephen than it is about Twitter. It's a shame that the media have to jump on the band wagon and make it about something that it isn’t. Maybe they could have done a story about how social media affects people with problems, such as Stephen. I'm sure that he would have been happy to have taken part in it, as would many others who suffer from these disorders and want to bring them to the attention of the general public. But they took the easy root instead!!!

yeah but the article also says he's bipolar...seems rather irresponsible to use such a medium if you are already mentally unstable.
                        Speaking as someone who suffers 'the black dog', I can think of equally as many pros as cons. I think that the problem, like life, is probably a little more complicated than it may seem.

Originally posted by stereophobic View Post
                        It's silly and kind of sad that he should react that way to someone calling his tweets "boring" imho... we don't live on the set of 80s action movies.
                        When you're suffering from depression, lots of silly things seem much, much worse that they are. If they didn't, he wouldn't have a problem.

what's silly and sad is if people can't handle the repercussions of their own tweets...not sure if I blame twitter for this one or just people in general.

reality is complicated enough, why get too mixed up in virtual reality...?
                        my point is, if i had kids (i don't) i most certainly would not let them use twitter!

(not really hoping for anyone to comment any further on this...i'd have to agree with hobo this convo. should be incinerated! but if you need to say something i'll read it...)
                        Although it is most definitely Stephen's problem, not Twitter's or anyone else’s, for that matter. I think that you'll find that he is not the one who went to the media with this story and is probably just as amazed as I am, that the media has made such a big deal about it.

I think that in a moment of depression, he said that he was done with Twitter and the media frenzy ensued! Obviously this is more important than the ratification of the European Union's Lisbon Treaty, or the 6 British soldiers who were shot in Afghanistan, by one of their own police trainees, yesterday, or the continuing relief efforts happening all over the region effected by the recent Indian Ocean tidal wave!!!

I think that the problem here is not Twitter, or Stephen's affliction. It's the media's desperation for a story that boosts ratings!

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                        Don't restart it, it's just starting to gain momentum!

Originally posted by dolochov View Post
                        the crux of twitter which also applies accordingly for most of the web 2.0 pages is the bad influence it has on people's attention spans. Especially adolescents who excessively have frequented such pages lack the ability to smoothly read through a text of multiple pages without being distracted since they are only accustomed to short paragraphes.
                        It doesn't necessarily have this influence on everyone using web 2.0, but if your vast majority of reading takes place on the internet you'll likely unlearn to smoothly read a book for multiple hours of time, I sensed these bad side effects on myself as well.
                        I'm not being sarcastic. I just thought that I'd clear that up before I asked the next question!

Is that just your theory, or has there been some study into this?

Originally posted by munch View Post
                        Originally posted by genevieveryoko
                        stoners are so predictable munch! this is more interesting:

EDIT: i just realized it's a clock, not a bong!

EDIT: i do not think this woman deserves to be in jail.
                        This is not a clock or a bong (or a stoner!). It's the bell which is housed in the bell tower which stands next to the Houses of Parliament, in Westminster.

I think that you're absolutely right about releasing her form jail. I mean isn't the right to inflict physical violence on anyone who disagrees with you, what made America great! What's wrong with these police arresting this woman, and for what, to protect his freedom of speech. I don't remember reading anything about that in the constitution. George W. (I don't mean Bush), will be turning in his grave!!!
                        "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• stereophobic
                          • Aug 2009

Although it is most definitely Stephen's problem, not Twitter's or anyone else’s, for that matter. I think that you'll find that he is not the one who went to the media with this story and is probably just as amazed as I am, that the media has made such a big deal about it.

I think that in a moment of depression, he said that he was done with Twitter and the media frenzy ensued! Obviously this is more important than the ratification of the European Union's Lisbon Treaty, or the 6 British soldiers who were shot in Afghanistan, by one of their own police trainees, yesterday, or the continuing relief efforts happening all over the region effected by the recent Indian Ocean tidal wave!!!

I think that the problem here is not Twitter, or Stephen's affliction. It's the media's desperation for a story that boosts ratings!
                          Well, if you follow music news, even Trent Reznor quit Twitter... twice.
                          An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by hobo View Post

Speaking as someone who suffers 'the black dog', I can think of equally as many pros as cons. I think that the problem, like life, is probably a little more complicated than it may seem.

When you're suffering from depression, lots of silly things seem much, much worse that they are. If they didn't, he wouldn't have a problem.
                            as a kindred soul, +1 to both these statements and I applaud your openness. sadly there's too much information floating through these days and people only see and point out what they choose.

edit - did not mean my above statement as a dig at genevieveryoko, rather i was just commenting on general tendencies (guess it could be the media's if you unfortunately happen to become a public figure) to comment on surface appearances without understanding a possible mechanism behind it. Not saying anyone undergoing these things should use them as a crutch, but still some things are worth taking the time to understand a little better. The more you know...
                            www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• hobo
                              • Jul 2009

Hobo, I love how you multi quote. That is exactly the problem. And the annoying thing about the article is that they quote someone who who basically says the same thing..."this story is not news" therefore contradicting themselves...if it's not news then why are you making it news?

I hate how "witty" journalists these days can't seem to take a position on anything.

Of course I get the black dog every once in a while too...of course most of the people commenting on gawker have no compassion for the woman...hmmmm, let's see, a random bookstore owner vs. a random y***er, obviously i'll side with the bookstore owner.
                              Y**p for the record (in case anyone doesn't know) is not about freedom of speech - 2 out of the four reviews i ever wrote on there got flagged and removed...just clarifying...proud to say i work at a restaurant that refuses to display the sticker!
                              Hey, we're talking about a means of communication that I know nothing about, so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, and I do agree, I work in retail and I used to have a restaurant so I understand how frustrating these things can be, particularly if you're fighting for survival, as this woman appears to have been. But I also have to look at it objectively and I don't think that there is any excuse for using violence against someone because they said something that you don't like, no matter how justified you feel. If that were permissible, the biggest guy would always succeed, over the most informed argument, unless they happen to be one in the same! No matter how difficult it is and how wronged you feel, you have to fight back with logical, informed argument. If you do that, eventually you'll win... most of the time!

[EDIT] Unless you’ve hurt my child or harassed my wife, in which case, I’d say you probably ought to disregard everything that I just said and run!!!
                              "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

I'd say its pretty much a lose - lose situation.

regardless of her intentions, she still apparently sent some hostile messages and dug up his adress, showing up at the guys doorstep claiming shes a neighbour, this is still pretty creepy. as for the guy, if he made up the story of her being hostile, thats pretty ridicilous as well.
                                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎