X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Cameras

Somewhat fashion related since we all like to take pics of ourselves and post them. Can anyone recommend a decent digital camera for around $200 or less? I think it's time I get a new one, mine still takes pics but itis old andpartially broken (the screen doesn't work). Some people's pics on here are always so well done, are any of you into photography?
    music
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Cameras

[quote user="casem83"]Somewhat fashion related since we all like to take pics of ourselves and post them. Can anyone recommend a decent digital camera for around $200 or less? I think it's time I get a new one, mine still takes pics but itis old andpartially broken (the screen doesn't work). Some people's pics on here are always so well done, are any of you into photography?[/quote]</p>

Canon SD600</p>

See if there are any instant Dell coupons on Ebay to bring the cost down.</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Anonymous
      • Sep 2006

hey case...</p>

</p>

this one's very nice, and since they've lowered the price, it's even better.</p>

</p>

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4089734</p>

</p>

Comment

• Casius
        • Dec 2006

Samsung NV10. $249.99<DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV> I've read a lot of reviews on it and it seems like most people are impressed. Pretty hard to find 10mpx for under $300.</DIV>
        "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• nairb49
          • Dec 2006

I bought the one-up version of the camera above, the Samsung nv7. Less megapixels, but it has a variety of other features.</p>

</p>

Bought it as a stepping stone camera towards a DSLR, then found a good deal on a DSLR so bought it. Now the NV7 is sitting around lonely. PM me if you're intersted.</p>

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

[quote user="Casius"]I've read a lot of reviews on it and it seems like most people are impressed. Pretty hard to find 10mpx for under $300.[/quote]</P>

for the record, size doesn't always matter ;) ie megapixels don't necessarily mean much</P>

I'm sure its not a bad camera though, but I wouldn't except much more than from a good 5MP camera.</P>

I would suggest the Panasonic Lumix FX01 or Sony W50, both are arounf $200 and very good point and shoot cameras.</P>
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Candid Cool
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="blackforest"]

hey case...</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

this one's very nice, and since they've lowered the price, it's even better.</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4089734</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

[/quote]</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I have this one myself, it's pretty good point and shoot camera. I bought it refurbished from radioshack.com</P>

I like it because it's pretty slim and has a big screen in the back.</P>

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search</P>

Comment

• Incroyable
                • Mar 2007

I certainly like photography but not the digital version.</p>

Since this is a design thread, I think I'll put a picture of a camera design classic:</p>

</p>

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ No purist is. I have to say though - the convenience factor is hard to overcome. I used to drag my SLR to whereever it was worth taking good pictures, but now I've gotten too lazy...
                  </p>

That is one cool camera, and good quality. their digital stuff as i understand is just regular cameras with Leica slapped on them?
                  </p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Incroyable
                    • Mar 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

/\ No purist is. I have to say though - the convenience factor is hard to overcome. I used to drag my SLR to whereever it was worth taking good pictures, but now I've gotten too lazy...
                    </p>

That is one cool camera, and good quality. their digital stuff as i understand is just regular cameras with Leica slapped on them?
                    </p>

[/quote]</p>

The cheaper Leica digials have the electronics made by Panasonic, however they claim to have the other details patented by Leica and such. Then there is the M8 rangefinder, but personally I wouldn't pay $4000 for an electronic version of a manual rangefinder, and with only 8MP I believe.
                    </p>

Comment

• unmetro
                      • Sep 2006

Yeah the Panasonic line is pretty much the same as the Leica, just a rebranding....I feel it's gonna be hard for them to differentiate themselves from the other Digital manufacturers who have a tremendous headstart (different demographics?)....Tho they still have their timelessreputation, legions of professional photographers and their top-notch lenses....</P>

Personally I'm waiting to purchase a Sigma SD14 (http://www.sigma-sd14.com/), it uses the 3rd generation Foveon sensor. Most cameras use either CCDs or CMOS chips which does color interpolation (essentially estimates color values) to derive their pixel values, the Foveon chip stacks the RGB sensors so you geta more accuraterange of color per pixel. Previous Sigma cameras (SD9 &amp; SD10) have had their faults, and this one corrects much of it....tho still isn't exactly perfect (especially the price...hehe)</P>

From my own experience (not a professional)I can't recommend Sony, I've heard their CCDs are smaller than others. Meaning that when compared to another camera of similar "megapixel", the sony will take in less light (i.e. data) per pixel - leading to a shoddier image.</P>

I'm interested to see where the industry is heading, cuz for all intentsandpurposes most people don't need a camera greater than 10mp (some would argue 4mp)...so what is the next "marketing" ploy or feature they'll push next? will the camera and camcorder be melded into a singleall encompassingunit or will that cut into their bottom line (why sell one product when you can sell them two)?</P>
                      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                        • Jan 2008

Is there any camera knowledgeable people around
                        who would protest loudly, if I chose for my first slr,
                        the Canon EOS 450d? I have been told that their standard
                        lens (EF-S 18-55mm) is not very good, would it be advisable
                        to go for the body only, and ad another lens, or would it
                        be alright for the learning process use?

Any other thought is very appreciated.
                        Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

go for it, its very good and will take you a long way. you can probably find good deals since the 500d is out now.

the kit lens has never been very good on the canons though, I would get the body and an alternative lens. if you're looking for something basic, Tamron and Sigma both have 17-50 2.8 lenses which are a very good alternative to the kit lens, same focal length, far better image quality, better in lower light conditions etc.. I believe both are around $400 new.

if you're able to spend more, one of the best lenses available is a Canon 17-55 2.8 IS. image quality is excellent, possibly better than on some L-series lenses. its double the price compared to the Tamron and Sigma ones though.
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• surver
                            • Oct 2007

RICOH GR-DIGITAL

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by surver View Post
                              RICOH GR-DIGITAL
                              ahh haha I just came here to post that

Comment