X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zccaado
    • Apr 2019

Was just in tokyo the other week.

For avant garde styles, make sure you check out Gullam in Shibuya, Clique in Shibuya and also The Viridi-Anne (in Ebisu, one stop from Shibuya). I found that the viridi-anne boutique had limited offerings compared to their online store, however, still worth a visit and can be done along with the other two. Gullam was my favourite out of the three stores.

Can't say much about boutiques in other cities, however, Loom Osaka has to be one of my favourite Japanese boutiques with an online presence.

Comment

• mikemikemike
      • Jun 2011

the TVA flagship has steadily carried less and less every year =[. real shame.

Comment

• dji
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
        Tokyo
        Shibuya
        B'2nd - theres nothing to see here tbh its pretty much a waste of time
        ID Clothing Heart - if you want to see like maruyama or julius this could be ok
        Midwest - i dont know this store
        Royal Flash - this is cool to look at, there is a hidden elevator to the third floor which is nice to look at

bedrock the concept alone is worth looking at

Harajuku
        LHP - also not worth looking at unless you want to see julius but its better to look at it at isetan or julius flagship
        Studious - no comment but this isnt really SZ clothes

Daikanyama
        Attachment - this is ok to look at
        Gullam - no comment but I guess worth looking at.
        Julius - view above on LHP
        Lift - good time to go to lift right now
        Lift Ecru - same goes for mini lift

Ometsando
        Boutique W - the one stop shop for bbs
        R&CO - no comment

Ebisu
        The Viridi-Anne - I dont think there is anything here to see unless you want to see the interior, everything is in isetan and lift
        Meguro
        Venom/ Diet Butcher Slim Skin - is this still up?

Aoyama
        Rick Owens - I would go to say hi to Satoru and the store itself is very beautiful.
        Shinjuku
        Isetan Men - the second and third floor only

Kyoto

dont waste your time looking at clothes in kyoto go do something better than that.

Osaka
        Minami
        Gordini - sure
        Fascinate - sure
        Jet Park - I dont know what this is
        K's Clothing - this is not really SZ clothing, its more visual kei
        LHP - this LHP is really bad.
        Loom - I wouldnt go here either, went once but they do not have stock.
        Royal Flash - no need to go here.
        Rule 1588 - idk what this is
        The R - Julius and other visual kei clothing, owner kiba san is very nice guy, much respect.
        Why are you here? - idk what this is
        AYIN store with the most BBS in japan
        24/8 JP for the ladies

Umeda

not worth it

is DSM worth a visit? - yes 100%

is l'eclaireur in Tokyo still open? no

all this with a grain of salt though I guess.
        Hey guys, I’ll be in Tokyo in the new year. Assuming the above is still accurate, along with Nubian and AL Select?

Comment

• mikemikemike
          • Jun 2011

to be fair to the store, the TVA flagship does have a pretty large selection unlike what trigger is sayig in that post (or for that matter what im frustrated with) just not above size 3. i think its worth it.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by mikemikemike View Post
            to be fair to the store, the TVA flagship does have a pretty large selection unlike what trigger is sayig in that post (or for that matter what im frustrated with) just not above size 3. i think its worth it.
            For what its worth, that was a 4 year old comment basically, the scene has changed quite a bit.

here is a casual update, not really a guide per se either, pinch of salt.

Shibuya

SHIBUYA PARCO - this is a new development with multiple stores inside, a must see for the decade. Some notable stores inside are the Pokemon Center and that entire floor with it, the entirety of the 2nd and 3rd floors are also worth a look. Soloist, JohnLawrenceSullivan, 2G, etc, all have stores inside and it is really worth the trip.

Midwest - This store has a decent rounded selection of brands, albeit not so much that this forum would be interested in

OMOTESANDO

Bedrock - closed, and the store that took its place is the Y's store.
            16 Aout - hidden shop with cool new brands.

Harajuku

LHP - also not worth looking at unless you want to see julius but its better to look at it at isetan or julius flagship
            Studious - no comment.
            clique tokyo - sort of the flagship for a brand called kujaku, perhaps affordable basics?
            Nubian - for sz, to see Blackmerle or other brands. . .

Daikanyama

Eliminator - more on the current zeitgeist but this store has become a local favorite.
            Lift and Lift Ecru - these are always great to go to.

Ometsando
            Boutique W - one of the remaining darkwear stores really

Ebisu
            The Viridi-Anne - mikemike thinks you should go
            Meguro
            Diet Butcher Slim Skin - is this still up?

Aoyama
            Rick Owens - I would go to say hi to Satoru and the store itself is very beautiful.

Shinjuku
            Isetan Mens - the second and third floor only, but they had a massive renewal so its worth the time to go revisit to see the changes made.

Kyoto

dont waste your time looking at clothes in kyoto go do something better than that.

Osaka
            Minami
            Gordini - sure
            Fascinate - sure
            Jet Park - I dont know what this is
            K's Clothing - this is not really SZ clothing, its more visual kei
            LHP - this LHP is really bad.
            Loom - I wouldnt go here either, went once but they do not have stock.
            Royal Flash - no need to go here.
            Rule 1588 - idk what this is
            The R - Julius and other visual kei clothing, owner kiba san is very nice guy, much respect.
            Why are you here? - this store is a local favorite of the rick owens fans in osaka.
            AYIN - sort of a hypebeast store in a sense.
            24/8 JP for the ladies

Umeda

not worth it, there is a hankyu in ginza, tokyo which is better to see.

is DSM worth a visit? - yes 100%
            Originally posted by unwashed
            Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
            Originally posted by Ahimsa
            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• barryooi
              • Jan 2017

Hey Trigger, just curious why you said "no comment" for Gullam?

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
              For what its worth, that was a 4 year old comment basically, the scene has changed quite a bit.

Daikanyama

Eliminator - more on the current zeitgeist but this store has become a local favorite.
              Lift and Lift Ecru - these are always great to go to.

Ometsando
              Boutique W - one of the remaining darkwear stores really

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by barryooi View Post
                Hey Trigger, just curious why you said "no comment" for Gullam?
                I dont go there so I dont know what they are doing, not much to it really
                Originally posted by unwashed
                Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                Originally posted by Ahimsa
                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• mikemikemike
                  • Jun 2011

they have a pretty good devoa selection and sizable footwear range along with a few more niche brands.
                  they had some cool geoffrey b stuff when we went in nov too. location is a little walk from the main station however.

Comment

• dji
                    • Feb 2008

Thanks Mike and TD, on the NEX now in to Tokyo. PARCO is definitely on the list, I’m sure the kiddo will love it.

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
                      • Nov 2007

Some of the most extensive GBS selections are in Tokyo.

And their buys are edited and different than anything you can see in North America or Europe with a strong ongoing evolution depending on the retailer both going beyond and maintaining dark philosophies. Whether you like our work or not, we are very selective about who work with in the world and for us the Japanese market is the most advanced, competitive and sophisticated designer retail market in the world. We have been working since 1993 in Japan and I have personally toured the country 17 times, so before some other SZ members write off our partners, I would like to take a brief op to at least list them to you for consideration during your trip for a visit. These are all very successful stores that are really working selling clothes to very discerning real Japanese customers not tourists. Japan represents around 40 percent of our world total business and we know who is really selling clothes in Japan these days...

Arts & Science in Aoyama 2 brand new stores 1 for men and 1 for women (just launched a few months ago) and one of the most important players in Japan for Japanese customers. Owned and operated by photostylist and entrepreneur Sonya Park who is a superstar in Japan. A&S now operates 10 stores all different concepts in Tokyo and Kyoto, has its own extensive brand and some 70 employees.

Cathedral 1 store in Ginza and 2 in Osaka. Owned and operated by the former L'Eclaireur Aoyama Japan store manager. Superb quality and intense tailored POV with extremely concentrated selections and a ton of serious collector customers.

Souterrain in Roppongi: Owned and operated by the former Gucci Japan store manager. Single buyer goes to Paris and runs sales floor (no other employees). Result: incredible personal service and POV with many total exclusive pieces not available anywhere in the world. 1 man operation showing what true personal retailing service can still achieve and provide. In Japan, there is a name for great retailers called "Shop Master" and it is viewed as an honorable position in society and business.

Gullam in Daikanyama Owned and operated by former Japanese garment factory producer with a passion for the stuff and the artisanal, so has a unique take on what it takes to make the clothes not just buy them. He started with a passion for dark, but is evolving as well and his business (unlike Lift which is going through difficulties) is growing healthily. For years, he had been buying our collection simply out of passion and knowing its value.. even sales were not huge. Last year, he had accumulated one of the biggest GBS selections in Japan and suddenly it reached a type of critical mass and sales went through the roof. I would visit this store just to see what is happening in Daikanyama which historically is a very directional place for Japanese style.

Carrefour in Jiyugaoka. Owned and operated by a former Lift manager and buyer. Farther out from center of Tokyo, but great neighborhood type of store (although even Tokyo suburbs look like big city).

If you are taking Shinkansen down to Kyoto and can stop for a few hours in Nagoya, we would also suggest a visit to Provogue also a 1 man operation super shop master who works in his own traditional Japanese house with a beautiful garden, who along with our collection has the largest single retail selection of Maurizio Amadei's work in the world and is a collaborator with Mr. Amadei having developed almost all of the Japanese textiles that you see or hear about in his MA+ and other lines. If you are a fan Amadei, this is the world museum.

Near Osaka in Kansai region in the city of Kobe (also easily reached by Shinkansen) is Liberte, run by another great shop master.

If you would like more cities (Fukuoka for example) or assistance in contacting any of these dealers. Send us an email and we will be glad to introduce you and even arrange appointment(s) to visit. geoffreyb.small@gmail.com

Wishing you a great and inspiring trip to Japan.

Geoffrey & the team

Comment

• dji
                        • Feb 2008

Thank you Geoffrey, appreciate the thoughtful writeup. It's always a pleasure to be able to visit stores that carry the works of yourself and the other designers discussed here, living in Seattle this is something I only get to enjoy when traveling. I was just visiting Tokyo this time however I had the opportunity to visit Liberte in Kobe a few years ago, gorgeous space and store.

TD it was an unexpected surprise and pleasure to bump in to you in Harajuku, was great chatting with you!

Field report from my visit.

Shibuya
                        PARCO - lots of mini boutiques, everything from Anrealage to Anker if you need a power pack.. Pro tip: visit the Nintendo store 1-2 hours before closing so you can just walk in without queueing
                        Royal Flash - fun concept to visit even if it isn't my style
                        Midwest - good variety of local and international labels
                        Nubian - BBS, 11, Rick, etc. but also the "new new" streetstyle, interesting to see and located just off Takeshita Street in Harajuku so an easy spot to visit while doing the tourist thing
                        RAGTAG Harajuku - first time visiting a 2nd store, diverse selection and feels like browsing someone's (freshly dry cleaned) closet
                        Clique - failed at finding this, the Google address led me to a residential area unless it was at the 2nd floor flat where a bunch of young folks were on smoko outside?

Ometsando
                        Boutique W - lots of BBS from last season, some new Leon items which is good to see after observing not many stockists not picking up his pieces anymore. Loved a Taichi 3L coat (Seattle = rain right?) but didn't have my size

Aoyama
                        Rick Owens - lovely store, spent some time browsing while dodging a pair of uber rich Chinese and Russian families that were there buying out the store..

Daikanyama
                        Attachment - was closed the day I was there, *shrug*
                        Gullam - still one of my favourite stores, well curated selection of brands and pieces
                        Lift - lots of new Carol, loved the new hightop paper dart sneakers but had sold through my size

Shinjuku
                        Shibuya - nothing mind-blowing but a solid collection from a wide range of designers, always worth a visit

Ginza
                        DSM - fun to visit, clearly a far more sober buy than the NYC or even the London store
                        Hanku - eh

Kichijoji
                        AL Select - was closed for some reason according to the handwritten note, store looked super tiny. Was a quick stop-off on the way to the train station after the Ghibli Museum

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎