Fashion Week Ramblings - S/S 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Jun 2014

One thing that troubled me when MA-1 jackets, tapered track pants, Nike Air Maxs etc began becoming considered “fashion items” about two years ago was that many people (internationally) didn’t want to be cognitive to the complex layers and references that came with them, and weren‘t interested in discussing them.

I think in numerous ways sportswear (through a fashion scope) is linked with minimalism and a 90s taste for basics (what has been rebranded as normcore). 1990s fashion imagery centered around a construction of realism and deliberate anti-glamour. Placed in the fashion centerfold, it advertised the ideal that anybody could be fashionable. Young people of the 1990s were born into their parent’s hangover after Black Monday, with the Gulf and Rwanda underway, while the AIDs epidemic seeped into the decade. Passive-aggressive, disappointed, and disillusioned generation X visually pulled fashion from its catwalk pedestal. You had a generation openly hostile to the old-guard ideas of high fashion. Much of the 1990s dress came out of this complacent guilt breeding the desire for basic/everyday (including sportswear), minimalism, the uniform of utility (a lack of frivolous excess), and deconstruction. Collier Schorr and Corrinne Day’s respective work are so crucial to its visual codification.

So really it's no surprise that post-recession with global unrest and violence, a return to this imagery is so appealing. During the 2010 UK student riots this image of a young man in black balaclava, black hoodie, black bottoms, and sneakers uniform was inescapable. Air Maxs are the sneakers you think of when considering the banlieu/gopnik/lad culture of European sportswear, the most popular sneaker in fetish communities, and currently one of the most co-opted sneakers in fashion.

That’s Jean Paul Paula in the above photo, who I think is one of the few stylists that co-opts sportswear in an interesting way. His work is one of the few usually discernible from the rest and I like that masculinity, femininity, queerness, and fetish are constant themes in his work. So I find an acid wash denim jacket and track pants with hot pink hilarious, but for a different reason than schemedream.

Uggs were also designed by men for men. Maybe apathy! can tell us about that if they’re Australian.

Comment

• apathy!
      • Jan 2014

^

interesting read.

I enjoy fashion purely on an aesthetic level and not for the cultural associations but that's just me.

Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

yeah. and thanks to 1994 for making some good thoughtful contributions to the forum lately in various threads. it is appreciated.

quick question: why is the nike air max the most popular sneaker in fetish communities?
        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• kanne
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
          quick question: why is the nike air max the most popular sneaker in fetish communities?
          well... you've asked for it. apparently some guys are into popping the air bubble on the soles?

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
            ^

interesting read.

I enjoy fashion purely on an aesthetic level and not for the cultural associations but that's just me.

What is great about your mind is that it doesn't care about dumbass opinions like this one, it does the cultural associations without asking you.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• apathy!
              • Jan 2014

Should have said:

I would never buy anything that I can only appreciate for its cultural relevance and not for the merit of its design.

Happy now?

edit: can someone give an analysis of the bubble pop fetish please.

Comment

• Jun 2014

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                Air Max are the sneaker-of-choice for a lot of subculture uniforms from scallies to dresiarz and back. Classics in particular were a staple of Gabber and jump style subculture. They’re a sleek and aerodynamic sneaker, so a lot of people enjoy the sterility or the process of getting them “dirty” and “destructed.” Overall you see a lot of 1s, 87, 90s, or Classic BW with white and black leather being extremely popular.

11:36-12:53 is particularly good

Originally posted by kanne View Post
                well... you've asked for it. apparently some guys are into popping the air bubble on the soles?
                Nike Air Macx 95 Bubble Pop
                Garment destruction is a pretty rampant theme throughout history. For a lot of fetishists the sensation, sound, and feeling of garments and fabrics is what is appealing. jacketripper on youtube is a pretty good example of where it goes.

Anyone interested in people's own recounting of their fetishes should read Dressing for Pleasure in Rubber, Vinyl & Leather: The Best of Atomage 1972-1980.
                Last edited by 1994; 07-12-2014, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Jun 2014

apathy! - frankly I'm glad you made the statements that you did. Regardless of your intention I'm happy for any opportunity to discuss the limitlessness of what fashion is and what it can be.

Fashion at face value is the widely normalized conscious way that it's recognized. It largely stems from the assumption that fashion is a frivolous or narcissistic interest, and therefore cannot be something of study or theoretical discussion. The reality is that fashion is visual evidence of social and economic processes.

So at the end of the day fashion as a social language provides us with easily recognized, high-circulated visual icons. Think black leather jacket or red lipstick. The point that I think Gosha Rubchinskiy makes, and that I tried to make in my post about 90s dress, is that globally accepted images are problematic because there are endless ways to read the meanings of visual history.

Tldr; you didn’t come out of the womb knowing what a black leather jacket was. But you’ve learned to know through the daily interactions of your life, so if I said Marlon Brando or James Dean you’d know exactly what I was talking about.

Comment

• apathy!
                    • Jan 2014

I'm not sure if we're on the same page (probably my mistake)...

I think there is a point at which a piece of art (a garment for instance) has a connection to politics/society/history that is so tenous that it is virtually meaningless. I think this kind of stuff that exists purely aesthetically and without any "deeper meaning" is cool. Hopefully I've made myself clear now

Comment

• 550BC
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by 1994 View Post
                      Classics in particular were a staple of Gabber and jump style subculture.
                      Haha Dutch sub-cultures.. I fucking hated the Gabbers, they were like the happy drugged versions of skinheads. Jump Style is something that died within 1/2 years. But I like that you are aware of these sub cultures that as far as I know only existed in The Netherlands and Belgium
                      Last edited by 550BC; 07-13-2014, 04:10 AM.
                      a fish out of water dies

Comment

• unwashed
                        • Dec 2008

I was a gabber and part of the subculture. My outfits were basically air max, australian tracksuits, recordlabel longsleeves, and a bomberjacket. I wasn't completely bald, only half bald though. Good old times

550BC why you hated gabbers? You were a skater? haha..

Even Raf Simons liked gabbers
                        Grailed link

Comment

• Jun 2014

unwashed you can't make throwback statements without throwback pictures to back it up.

Comment

• 550BC
                            • Jan 2013

well I think I used the word ''hate'' too fast, I actually was a skater yes ha! a foreigner and skater, think a double combo that gabbers didn't really appreciated.. Gabbers were 9/10 racists from my experience, hence I couldn't be cool with them. Didn't Raf liked skinheads instead of gabbers?
                            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• unwashed
                              • Dec 2008

It wasn't the digital age yet, fortunately for me there aren't many pictures taken from me I kept most of my wardrobe at my parents attic somewhere though. Reminds me to pick-up my old school house vinyl collection.
                              Grailed link

Comment

• unwashed
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                                well I think I used the word ''hate'' too fast, I actually was a skater yes ha! a foreigner and skater, think a double combo that gabbers didn't really appreciated.. Gabbers were 9/10 racists from my experience, hence I couldn't be cool with them. Didn't Raf liked skinheads instead of gabbers?
                                Well gabbers were often generalized. I hang with gabbers, skaters, so-called alto's, foreigners etc.. couldn't care and still don't care for peoples culture/subculture as long they're nice to chill with and interesting people. I was beaten-up a lot though by moroccans, thinking I was a rascist.
                                Grailed link

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎