• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Cool Fashion Books?

I just wanted to see what are some cool books on fashion are there. With plenty of fluff it's important to discern some good ones. Here is my collection.

Belgian Fashion Design - out of print.

Young Belgian Fashion Design

Dries van Noten 01-50 - first 50 shows of Dries with great pictures, interviews and descriptions.

Fashion - from the Kyoto Costume Institute

Sample, 100 designers, 10 curators

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • mass
    • Sep 2006

Re: Cool Fashion Books?

the only 'fashion' books i have are books from fashion photographers, heh.

can anyone recommend that new balenciaga book?

Comment

• fixoid
      • Sep 2006

having seen the Hussein Chalayan thread, i am suprised nobody has mentioned this (?)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/905...573567?ie=UTF8

Comment

• darkanimal
        • Sep 2006

Anyone have this book? I was thinking of getting one but wanted to find out first any reviews straight from the fashion addicts.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="darkanimal"]

Anyone have this book? I was thinking of getting one but wanted to find out first any reviews straight from the fashion addicts.

[/quote]

I did not like it when I flipped through it a long time ago. As far as I remember (and I might be wrong) it was just portraits of teenagers mostly, not much in the way of clothes.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Fixoid, there is nothing I would like more than a proper book on Chalayan. I really dislike this seres though, it's very superficial. I'm actually surprised they did Chalayan, because other desingers in that series are Ferragamo, Sonia Rykiel, etc... They also did one on Vivienne Westwood, I believe.

<edit>Actually, I stand corrected. I googled it, and I realized I was thinking of another series of books (the cover threw me off). I don't think I've ever seen that one.

Has anyone seen the Margiela book? I've never seen it in person.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• droogist
              • Sep 2006

I have the Chalayan book (surprise!) - it was the catalogue for his 10-year retrospective at the Groniger Museum last year, It's basically an overview of his shows over that period - decent, but not outstanding. And it definitely could have been longer.

Which Margiela book do you mean? The "Street I & II" book? If so, I have it. My opinion of it is pretty much exactly the same as my opinion of the Chalayan book.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="droogist"]

I have the Chalayan book (surprise!) - it was
                the catalogue for his 10-year retrospective at the Groniger Museum last
                year, It's basically an overview of his shows over that period -
                decent, but not outstanding. And it definitely could have been
                longer.

Which Margiela book do you mean? The "Street I
                & II" book? If so, I have it. My opinion of it is
                pretty much exactly the same as my opinion of the Chalayan book.

[/quote]

I don't remember the title to be honest. I remember that I saw one (I think it was in 10 Corso Como)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Sample: 100 designers, 10 curators just came out in softcover. I have the hardcover version, and I can definitely recommend this book - it's one of the best fashion books $30 can buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Sample-Designe...e=UTF8&s=books

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

This is a fashion book of a different stripe, but something I've been wanting to read....

Mallarme on fashion

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

This is a fashion book of a different stripe, but something I've been wanting to read....

Mallarme on fashion

[/quote]

What's that about?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

Here's the synopsis for you.....probably sounds a bit dull, and not very cool, but I love Baudelaire's stuff on fashion and was seeking more of the same....[8-|] I'm browsing it online, at the moment.

In 1874, Stephane Mallarme, the great French poet, undertook a highly
                        idiosyncratic project--the publication of a fashion magazine called La
                        Derniere Mode (The Latest Fashion)--that he almost single-handedly
                        compiled. Using a variety of feminine and masculine pseudonyms to
                        theorize about fashion and to advise on popular vacation destinations,
                        home furnishings, and entertainment, Mallarme created a spectacularly
                        original work. The distinguishing feature of Mallarme's magazine is
                        that it explores the nature of fashion from the inside. While it is a
                        genuine fashion magazine, it also satirizes the entire genre. Various
                        theories have been entertained about the work: it has been viewed as a
                        prose poem, a hoax, and a cynical money-making venture. Furbank and
                        Cain, however, argue that such guesses are hopelessly off the mark.
                        Complete with the original artwork and a contextualizing introduction
                        and commentary, this is the definitive translation of one of French
                        literature's greatest enigmas.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Here's the synopsis for you.....probably sounds a bit dull, and not very cool, but I love Baudelaire's stuff on fashion and was seeking more of the same....[8-|] I'm browsing it online, at the moment.

In 1874, Stephane Mallarme, the great French poet, undertook a highly idiosyncratic project--the publication of a fashion magazine called La Derniere Mode (The Latest Fashion)--that he almost single-handedly compiled. Using a variety of feminine and masculine pseudonyms to theorize about fashion and to advise on popular vacation destinations, home furnishings, and entertainment, Mallarme created a spectacularly original work. The distinguishing feature of Mallarme's magazine is that it explores the nature of fashion from the inside. While it is a genuine fashion magazine, it also satirizes the entire genre. Various theories have been entertained about the work: it has been viewed as a prose poem, a hoax, and a cynical money-making venture. Furbank and Cain, however, argue that such guesses are hopelessly off the mark. Complete with the original artwork and a contextualizing introduction and commentary, this is the definitive translation of one of French literature's greatest enigmas.

[/quote]

That sounds AWESOME! What did Baudelaire write on fashion? He is such a hole in my literary background, I must read him.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

Glad you like!

On Baudelaire: The best place to start is "The Painter of Modern Life" which is in a book of essays by the same name. It's more theoretical than critical, but absolutely seminal.

A taste for you....

"...it is much easier to decide outright that everything about the clothing of an age is absolutely ugly than to devote oneself to the task of distilling from it the mysterious beauty that it might contain, however slight or minimal that element may be. By "modernite" I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable."

Comment

• dontbecruel
                              • Sep 2006

Don't forget to read some of his poems too! They might not be about fashion but they ooze style.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎