StyleZeitgeist

Go Back   StyleZeitgeist > Forums > Fashion Media

Fashion Media Discuss print and online magazines, newspapers, blogs, and other fashion media

Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Macro

Send a message via AIM to Macro
Default SELF IMPORTANT JUDGES JUDGE - Robin Givhan has yet to get laid

My favorite stick-up-my-cold-dry-ass 'critic' of fashion is at it again. 10 to 1 she's never been laid, ever.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ing-women.html
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
messenoire

the comments are even worse than the article. yikes! this makes me think the highly publicized ousting of galliano for his off-color remarks has given way to a new monster...
messenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
michael_kard

WTF is this shit.

Quote:
Instead, the most memorable aspect of Owens’s Fall 2012 runway show was not his palette of moss, mushroom, and cocoa or his splendidly balanced proportions, but a single, unshakeable question: What’s his beef with women?
Maybe it's supposed to be ironic?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
michael_kard

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenoire View Post
the comments are even worse than the article. yikes!
Quote:
Anyone who is boycotting the Rush Limbaugh advertisers because Rush used the word "slut" should also boycott any Rick Owens product.
"Bitch" is no more acceptable than "slut".
Women, and the men who love them, should no longer accept these derogatory terms being bantered about the public arena.
Boycott Rick Owens Now.
5. char.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
AKA*NYC

political correctness is a disease
Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
North

While Owens directed a presentation that ultimately belittled women, designer Peter Copping at Nina Ricci took great delight in creating a collection that blended loose tailoring with lingerie references. A champagne-colored dress in lining silk was beautifully rumpled; a knit skirt with French seams was comfortably roughed up and a purple tweed coat looked warmly aged.

im glad she favors lingerie references over architecture.
her article made me puke.
North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Rosenrot

Strange. Her article on Karl Lagerfeld was so much more well-articulated and well-researched. Can't believe they came from the same person.
everyone should strive towards ballsiness
Rosenrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Faust
kitsch killer

A. I already posted this a few days ago in the RO F/W 12 collection thread. B. Macro, you sound exactly like a fratboy asshole that much of feminist criticism is directed against. She is critical because she doesn't get laid? That's the best you can offer?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
AKA*NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
A. I already posted this a few days ago in the RO F/W 12 collection thread. B. Macro, you sound exactly like a fratboy asshole that much of feminist criticism is directed against. She is critical because she doesn't get laid? That's the best you can offer?
isn't most feminist criticism directed against other feminists?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Lane

I really dont see the point in humoring her misguided points of views.
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Macro

Send a message via AIM to Macro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA*NYC View Post
isn't most feminist criticism directed against other feminists?
E, she writes like a prude, and from what i've gathered, often acts like one too. Her cunty sense of entitlement is as much a disease as her post-feminist malevolence. Obviously I exaggerate... but while she shows apparent 'courage' in being outspoken and can seem 'brutal' in her judgements, she exercises a poisonous megalomania and also, perhaps, exposing her resentment to the systematic transfer of power to bloggers and the ensuing descent to levity fashion has taken as a result.
The game is changing, and her viewpoint is losing relevance.

And A, exactly my inferred point here.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Fuuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro View Post
E, she writes like a prude, and from what i've gathered, often acts like one too. Her cunty sense of entitlement is as much a disease as her post-feminist malevolence. Obviously I exaggerate... but while she shows apparent 'courage' in being outspoken and can seem 'brutal' in her judgements, she exercises a poisonous megalomania and also, perhaps, exposing her resentment to the systematic transfer of power to bloggers and the ensuing descent to levity fashion has taken as a result.

But:

a) bloggers are even worst fashion critics because they're not critics at all...
b) these empty show provocations are indeed childish and should be denounced, if only to make me stop yawning when I look at collections. Shock art, shock fashion, same boring fight for attention.
c) If you think a woman is a cunt, go ahead and call her one but maybe there are some contexts where you should show some restraints. This is one of them
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
cjbreed

quick question, and sorry if this seems obvious to others, but what is so demeaning about the "cagelike masks"? and don't say its about restraint and control and power and the "prison" of being a woman in a male dominated society or some bullshit. thats just silly. its a fuckin accessory that the wearer, male or female, can easily take off whenever they are ready to. its just a sexy accessory thats all this is stupid. and i think what macro means by "getting laid" is for her to loosen the hell up. not everything is a statement on society that demands a moral reponse. jeezus.

the clothes are not even remotely misogynistic. the only potentially demeaning thing in this show is that stupid ass song that apparently is being horribly misinterpreted. and, btw robin, a woman's voice does dominate half the track

Last edited by cjbreed; 03-09-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: overuse of f-bombs...
cjbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
syed

Genuine question: did these same people kicked up a fuss with the Viktor & Rolf Fall 06 collection? It's what immediately came to mind with the masks. And I'd say the V&R ones would be more sinister (although I don't actually either are that sinister, they are merely an accessory) because they look more like cages/muzzles.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Hiddenaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbreed View Post
quick question, and sorry if this seems obvious to others, but what is so demeaning about the "cagelike masks"? and don't say its about restraint and control and power and the "prison" of being a woman in a male dominated society or some bullshit. thats just silly. its a fuckin accessory that the wearer, male or female, can easily take off whenever they are ready to. its just a sexy accessory thats all this is stupid. and i think what macro means by "getting laid" is for her to loosen the hell up. not everything is a statement on society that demands a moral reponse. jeezus.

the clothes are not even remotely misogynistic. the only potentially demeaning thing in this show is that stupid ass song that apparently is being horribly misinterpreted. and, btw robin, a woman's voice does dominate half the track
I completely agree. Not to mention, if you pay attention or have paid attention to Rick's collections and work you would know he likes to make women feel strong and yet feminine and coquettish. Not to make this about Rick but I did not get that vibe from his collection at all. I got the brutalism right away and one thing I think Rick is exceptional at is doing simple things in his presentations that set the tone. In this case, fire, masks, and that song. And let's be honest, there's probably a 1% of fashion journalists who even heard that song before and knows the context behind it and the artist.

It's just unfortunate she can talk about having context and reference in one article (of which is in this section of the forum) and then write this drivel. Blah.
Hiddenaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
gavagai

You can't expect feeble minds to think on a deep level. She heard the word "bitch" over and over and over again and that is that. She doesn't want to try and understand the artists' intent (designer or musician).

There are thousands of poorly written articles available on the internet.
gavagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #17
Fuuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
You can't expect feeble minds to think on a deep level. She heard the word "bitch" over and over and over again and that is that. She doesn't want to try and understand the artists' intent (designer or musician).

There are thousands of poorly written articles available on the internet.
And at least 352 poorly thought out posts available on this forum...
Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
Dane
HAMMERTIME

Quote:
"Why would any man design women cloths."
so good.

Anyway, I clicked on this thread because I thought it was about Robin Givens getting laid.

me = disappointed.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
Faust
kitsch killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro View Post

Fair enough - you just didn't have to put it in the terms you did. I didn't know who that is until she popped up in my google alerts. She writes for the Daily Beast - not too far removed from a blog, methinks - at least I'd never go read it...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
gavagai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
And at least 352 poorly thought out posts available on this forum...
Fuuma go fuck yourself.
gavagai is offline   Reply With Quote