• Show
Clear All
  • mnml crmnl
    • Dec 2009

Lars Andersson

anyone?
  • MASUGNEN
    • Feb 2009

I didn't know of him. See www.larsandersson.net.

Of the 2010 collection, I foremost like some female pieces and silhouettes: they strike me as sophisticated, mystic and sexy. Others however make the bearer look vampirelike. Almost all men strike me as pathetic rock star wannabes, but some shorter jackets seem cool (however warm).

I like his description of Sweden. It's true.

Comment

• mnml crmnl
      • Dec 2009

i agree as always the women's line has more interesting shapes than the men's.
      and in particular nothing extremely uniquely striking. I read on a retailer's site that "Lars Andersson hand knits each piece in his Brooklyn studio from the finest Japanese and Italian yarns"
      the location of the studio is superfluous, but i like that.

Comment

• JSebbe
        • Mar 2008

this doesnt really have to do anything with his work, but dont have the time to look into the collection right now, but bah. if you have a name like that you should really go for some other name than your own personal name.

maybe its just because i'm swedish.. but his first name and surname is like the most common names in sweden. for me it just sounds wrong and boring as hell for a clothing brand. which makes me not even wanting to look into it.. even if i would have a infinity of time to do so..
        :'S

Comment

• MASUGNEN
          • Feb 2009

I disagree with JSebbe. I appreciate when a designer has the courage to eponymously brand his work. While I'm amused by namnes such as Buddhist Punk or Comme des Gar̤ons, I feel such baptizations often are bastardizations, a kind of defense Рespecially when one designer operates in several (dis)guises, with a multitude of sublabels. Yohji Yamamoto is a common name in Japan.

Nowadays when a store name so often is latinized you could seldomly tell just from the name what it's merchandising. I lack the time when a store was called Lars Andersson's Butcher's Shop.

Comment

• TarHeart
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by JSebbe View Post
            this doesnt really have to do anything with his work, but dont have the time to look into the collection right now, but bah. if you have a name like that you should really go for some other name than your own personal name.

maybe its just because i'm swedish.. but his first name and surname is like the most common names in sweden. for me it just sounds wrong and boring as hell for a clothing brand. which makes me not even wanting to look into it.. even if i would have a infinity of time to do so..
            :'S
            You mean he doesn't have a name special enough, to create a clothing brand?
            You think the name really is that crucial? That is very superficial.

I thought the collection was interesting. It has a dark, stripped, Scandinavian feel.
            That is nice, but also to his disadvantage, since it also looks kind of lame and edgeless...

Comment

• mnml crmnl
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by merz
              ...'dark urban hippie'...?

yeahhh :/
              might as well self-proclaim 'go#h n!nj4'
              definitely disillusions any depth one may have deriven from the decoration

Comment

• JSebbe
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by TarHeart View Post
                You mean he doesn't have a name special enough, to create a clothing brand?
                You think the name really is that crucial? That is very superficial.
                i'm not saying that he shouldnt start a clothing brand cause he doesnt have a special personal name (in this case, to get my attention would be to find some other name, maybe a lame apophthegm would turn me on?). just that i prefer names that arent (more or less) that usual to me. but hey, names not familiar to me is familiar to others. there is no way around that. now it happens to be too familiar to me, knowing a lot of people named both lars and andersson.

so yes, i think the name of companies is a significant factor. at least to evoke my curiosity.

@masugnen
                yohji yamamoto isnt a common name for me, thus it gives a pleasent ring to my ears (well, not just because of the not-so-common-aspect). you dig?

to put an end to this. i'm superficial.
                Last edited by JSebbe; 10-03-2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

how classy is Rick Owens name not judging his work?

Calling your work by your name is sophisticated. That means you're not trying to brand yourself as a product, but as a creator, to me. There's nothing wrong with this guy's name. what's wrong with him is his self proclaimed "dark urban hippie" label, and the boring clothing. it's replacable.

Comment

• JSebbe
                    • Mar 2008

well, rick owens doesnt really cling to my ears either. i'm more into the font he uses. so it becomes more of a picture of the name in my mind.

i do agree with you on its more sophisticated to have your work called by your name. i respect that. but in this case, sorry it just doesnt work for me.
                    though, he cannot be blamed for having the names he has. its just me and how i see and associate his names with.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

to be fair, Rick Owens definitely sounds more interesting the John Smith - clothes for goth hippies.

but its of course partly a regional thing, Lars Andersson sounds more exotic to non-scandinavians.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                        • Feb 2009

He could have done the Llandersson maneuver.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

L'Anderssoni
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                            • Feb 2009

No, Llandersson is the nominal equivalent to Lmaltieri.

Maurizio Altieri is, as I've understood it, also a rather common Italian name.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                              • Feb 2009

There should be a brand named John Doe. And there is?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎