X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Universal Blackness
    • Nov 2010

Reputable Manufacturers and Suppliers

Would like to know of any reputable manufactures and suppliers you may have worked with or know? I am going into the process of sample making and pre-production, and would love any suggestions for quality menswear manufacturing and suppliers. Please feel free to list anything (Fabric Mills, Hardware Supplies/ Manufacturers, Dye Houses, Manufactures, Coating and Washing, Accessories, Shoemakers, ETC.)

The company I work for would like our products to made domestically (US), but international contacts would be appreciated as well.

This is quite an overwhelming task for a young designer, so any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by merz
    great thread idea, though i must say that many of those possessing connections with reputable manufacturers and suppliers will prefer to keep those under wraps.

still, i imagine some good reference points might come out of this, if those in the know are to contribute a bit of advice..
    agreed on both counts,
    although there may be legitimate reasons for doing this...........
    while i do believe that a thread like this is necessary on a forum such as this, I also think the starter of the thread is going about it the wrong way.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Ivans On High
      Banned
      • Oct 2008

Part of the reason designers like to keep their suppliers and manufacturers under wraps is because they spend so long trying to a) find one which can provide exactly what they are looking for and b) find one with whom they can establish a relationship, which is an important part of the process imo.

Perhaps not having a list of manufacturers per se but a list of resources which can point someone in the right direction is the answer?

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

As someone who has worked in this industry for years,
        i am more than wiling to help others who need it, as I couldn't have been where I am without the help of others......... and unlike many who charge a "finders fees" I dont, as I'm not into the business of pure profiteering...........
        however, I help people that I know and have built a comfortable trust relationship with.
        for every referral you make your reputation is on the line, especially if its someone you have a relationship with where they know you on a first name and phonecall away basis............

My fabric suppliers and such call me when they get goods, I get the best deals and first Dibs on the things they know I work with........
        they even hold if for me to take a look at and make sure I dont want it before they sell

It took years to build up that kind of relationship, and only after the realized i am really passionate and committed to what I'm doing and if the person is not knowingly professional and Polite I wont make the recommendation........

If one is in NY, there is a place that offers this kind of service. of which most is free.........also this is a good site to read, buy the Authors book and join their forums, its a trove of information and knowledge......
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• david s
          • Jul 2010

Maybe not totally relevant, but thought I might add my two cents...

I actually had a discussion about the same thing with the owner/designer of a boutique down in Chinatown. She is Indian and has built up her own manufacturing/supply network there. Even being a native speaker and often going back and forth, she said it has taken her a good 15 years to organically grow her business in terms of wholesale, production and finding skilled workers.

One problem she said that she has had is that larger scale industrial design firms (e.g. Ralph Lauren, J.Crew, etc) will often scout production companies to steal design concepts so they can mass produce them under their own label. Her saving grace she said is that her work is too labor intensive to reproduce.

That may be another reason to protect the relationship.
          It's absolutely Hedious!
          shy poser

Comment

• david s
            • Jul 2010

Good point. I think the analogy is designer as artist.

If you are piecing something beautiful together you want to work with artisans who understand the craft. In the end they are the makers of the raw tools of the designer.
            It's absolutely Hedious!
            shy poser

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎