X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnml crmnl
    • Dec 2009

Aniline Leather Source

Is anyone knowledgeable willing to explain why "aniline" "naked" or "nude" leather is so difficult to find.

it is the least processed... yet most "rare" and expensive. coincidentally the most beautiful when showing patina, depth, texture, grain, and well, a story.

its comparable to food. a lb of raw vegetables is more expensive than a pound of big mac.

does anyone understand the leather industry enough to share some gleanings on the most direct way to source such leather? apparently it is not legal to just start tanning skins in society. even with natural tannins or dyes.

this must be due to some monopoly minded lobbyists. frustrating. but inspiring...
  • Raw
    • Oct 2009

Also, is it the same with vachetta leather? I've always wondered if vachetta leather can be different types of leather or if it has to be a specific animal.

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

I've never had a problem finding raw or any other type of leather in LA, but I've never looked online and don't know how to help you with that.

At any rate, I can get a pound of raw vegetables for a lot less than a Big Mac. Aniline isn't necessarily less processed than other leathers, it's just processed differently. It's not the same commodity and not necessarily a direct substitute for other styles of leather and so it isn't subject to the same monetary forces.

Comment

• mnml crmnl
        • Dec 2009

thanks for the response.
        surely the food analogy was weak and exaggerated; i tend to be more figurative with the metaphors.

"commodity". so the demand for leather that is smooth and sheeny is higher than the demand for leather that actually looks like leather. to the point that 95% of the hides in the country are smooth and lacquered up? bummer.

i neither have had a problem finding it perse, but am questioning its "value". where in LA do you go? garment district? surely not Tandy's in north hollywood. a pm would be much appreciated
        Last edited by mnml crmnl; 07-27-2011, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

The garment district. No place in particular; Everyone's stock rotates constantly so it's not a good thing to only go to a few regular places.

Anyway, it doesn't matter whether the demand is higher for one commodity or not, only how the respective supply and demands relate to one another as well as the total cost to bring these leathers to market.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎