X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

How To Replace Your CCP Boot Zipper Pulls

Here is a short instructional on how to replace your CCP zipper pulls.

Takes about 10-15 minutes and the replacements will last quite a bit longer than the original pulls since they have not been put through the object dye/tumbling process and aren't as beat up.

Beats sending them to the cobbler as the fix is fast and easy and you don't have to be without your footwear for a week+.

__________________________________________________ ___

What you need:

Zipper remover pliers (zipper end nipper pliers) - $4.95
    Size 5M YKK Nickel Self Locking Zipper Sliders- $0.99 each
    #5 Zipper End Clips- 12 count bag $2.79

Total cost- $8.73 plus shipping

Although you may not end up needing the zipper end clips, I would order then just in case the original end clips on the boots get damaged.

The pliers are a one time purchase and the end clips are enough to do 6 boots so essentially you just need to buy the sliders after the first time.

The broken zipper. Mine separated this way but if your zipper pull breaks, the repair can be done the same way.

Your supplies

YKK zippers are numbered with their size on the back of the pull. CCP uses size 5M, self locking pulls.

First use your zipper pliers to remove the zipper end clips. Slide one edge of the pliers under the clip and squeeze down to open it up and allow the clip to come off.

You can see the fabric used to be white before the boots were dyed.

Both ends off.

Slide off your broken zipper and slide on your new one. This is a little tricky and may take a few tries to get it on correctly. Ensure it slides smoothly with both sides of the zipper teeth aligned evenly all the way up and down the zipper length.

You can see that the zip itself is open above and below the pull. Once you have it on, you have to force it down and the reverse it to zip it back up.

Then either replace the original end clips as I have done here or use your new end clips.

The new zip and the intact original bottom zip.

Enjoy!
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "
  • sshum88
    • Dec 2007

Very useful and much appreciated A!
    Originally posted by eat me
    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• eckblk
      • Mar 2010

very nice, A! Thanks

Comment

• holger
        • Mar 2009

one of the best posts since a few weeks, thanks A.
        Video

Originally posted by TheNotoriousT
        SZ Stock ausm Arsch und entspannen!

Comment

• eton97
          • Dec 2008

really interesting - thank you - was wondering if this method can apply for making a standard single jacket zipper into a double zipper?.....
          you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• originalre0
            • Jan 2011

thank you so much !
            save my ccp

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
              really interesting - thank you - was wondering if this method can apply for making a standard single jacket zipper into a double zipper?.....
              Thanks for the kind words guys :) Hope it helps!

Eton, unfortunately that cannot be done. The reason is that the bottom component of a separating zip has to be different for a double versus a single zip. If you look at two jackets/items one with a single zip and one with a double zip, you will see that the stiff "bar" on one end of the bottom zip is longer on a double zip versus a single zip.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• BeauIXI
                • Nov 2008

A, you are a saint! My cobbler who "specialized in zipper repair" told me that he'd have to sew in a whole new zipper. I told him that wasn't going to happen and started using a paperclip, but this is perfection.
                Originally posted by philip nod
                somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                  A, you are a saint! My cobbler who "specialized in zipper repair" told me that he'd have to sew in a whole new zipper. I told him that wasn't going to happen and started using a paperclip, but this is perfection.
                  Glad to be of service!

The one "issue" is that it looks like Carol has transitioned to Excella zips in the last couple of seasons. It's a little bit harder to find the excella zipper pulls for sale online (I haven't looked super hard though) but worst case scenario you'll just have to buy an excella zipper and just harvest the pull off of it and the process is the same :)

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎