• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

Dyeing small leather goods

(x-post from small q's thread)

i'm doing some dyeing of various small leather goods i have (bottega veneta etc.), from brown to black. i've got the actual dyeing process down real well, and like the results. however, now i'm doing a wallet and a passport case and like many higher-end leather goods, they have a type of resin/wax/whatever on the sides of the leather. the acetone i use for cleaning the leather and the benzene base of the dye both melt this resin/wax so i need to replace it after i've finished the dye job.

can anyone please tell me more about this stuff? my local cobbler said it was a wax, but it seems more durable than that...? he said he might be able to try putting it back on if i come back to him when i finished the actual dyeing, but i kinda wanna do it myself!

please advise!

• Patroklus
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

might consider a different leather dye

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

I think this is what you're looking for

Or maybe not.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

patroklus - nah, i got a great dye which i picked up at a real artisanal cobbler. it's a german one called Renia. i think it's got a similar composition to the fiebings one that other ppl use, i.e. some kind of acetone/benzene base that really goes deep into the leather.

michael kard - great! thanks! i will get some of this and try it out on some scrap pieces. hope it builds that 'thickness' that the original resin/whatever had. would be great if i could find a european stockist now though...

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

This article covers this technique using paraffin wax.

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
            This article covers this technique using paraffin wax.
            thanks a million!!! i was actually in on that site earlier and read some of his other posts on similiar topics. will def. read and consider this.

Comment

• sinnedk
              Banned
              • Dec 2011

good info guys, thanks

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎