• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Barneys NYC Fall FW06/07 Review

I was in Barneys on Madison this passed weekend (I needed to be cleansed after visiting the warehouse sale, brrrrrr........).

Stock review:

Women's

Rick Owens - LOTS of the drapey tops in those heavenly fabrics that Rick uses, plus every imaginable leather jacket. The jackets are cut super tiny, I think I could fit my 2.5 year old daughter in a 36 probably. Hmm... There was also one long quilted coat in military khaki. There was also a lot of stuff from his Lilies line. I guess it's a diffusion line, but you couldn't say buy the prices. $850 for a cloth jacket, hmm.....

Dries van Noten - There was a ton of stuff. They have got to be his biggest buyer. Lots of coats, $1k range, lots of tops, embroidery, the usual Dries fare. Lots of bigger sizes.

Veronique Branquinho - A fairly small selection, nothing to write home about. The usual non-descrit trenches, pants, and tops.

Ann Demeulemeester - I didn't really like the buy. Almost no jackets, one leather one, and one coat. Lots of layering pieces, tanks, tops, shirts. Prices on the leather came down a little because she didn't use that super-expensive papery leather she did in the last few seasons. There was the Lama stole present, and one silver belt. The shoe section had a gorgeous tall boot with lacing on the inside carried over from the past season (ironically there were a few pairs at the warehouse sale for the fraction of the price), and the suede looking bootie on a high heel - super sexy.

Undercover - Meh. Mostly tshirts. One hussar jacket, it was pretty cool. Some sweaters. It all looks amaturely done in person. I guess that's the aesthetic.

Margiela - Lots of black. Mostly black, actually. Tops, coats, pants. Nothing that particularly stood out.

I didn't see Yohji Yamamoto in its usual place, I wonder if they dropped him.

Men's

Carpe Diem - only boots. A low lace up boot with leather strings, and a black boot with the zipper in the back - I LOVED that one, can't stop thinking about it. $1100, that's just on a level different from mine.

Rick Owens - Horrible buy. Mostly the Drkshdw line, sweatshirts and jeans. One leather/cotton jacket which I did not like, and one leather jacket which I did not like either. No coats at all, and they were the strongest point of the collection. Really strange.

Raf Simons - Very nice buy. Gorgeous knitwear, the black sweater with the horizontal texture and a shawl collar was the stand out. Lots of classic Raf slim shirts. I also liked the long coat with metal toggle buttons, $1400.

RAF by Raf Simons - nothing to write home about.

Jil Sander by Raf Simons - pretty boring. Quality went down (and I looked only for quality in Jil Sander), but so did the prices. I guess they really want to sell it. Cotton knitwear from Jil in the fall? Unheard of! The quality of cashmere went down significantly. A cashmere Jil sweater along with a Jil shearling were the two tiems that I have always coveted and could never afford. I don't covet the sweater anymore.

Comme des Garcons - also pretty boring. That black applique featured on all the suits and shirts kills everything. I liked the bias-cut Evergreen knitwear, but the prices are astounding.

Junya Watanabe - also did not like anything. Too literate interpretation of military wear, unlike the womenswear. Some jackets, khaki pants, and khaki firmals, all at exorbitant prices.

Ann Demeulemeester - I was also not too impressed with the buy, but some of it was very decent. A particular standout was the light colored elongated blazer, really beautiful. The dress shirts were very nice and quirky as usual. My wanted item is the cropped pants, because they won't look cropped on me :-) Oh, and they bought the crazy silver leather jacket - yours for a cool $4k!!!

Dries van Noten - jeebus, I never thought he would actually make leopard print coats outside the runway, but he did. Hmm. I really liked the knitwear and the scarves, of course, but that's about it.

Margiela - pretty basic buy, nothing outstanding.

Dior Homme - destroyed jeans were there and the jeans with the contrasting waistband (<cough>margiela</cough>). from outerwear there was the super-dooper short peacoat, extremely non-practical. and the cropped grey jacket, also didn't seem too practical. lotsa skinny ties. i actually liked the saks buy better, and i'd never thought i'd say this...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • keith
    • Sep 2006

Re: Barneys NYC Fall FW06/07 Review

"One leather/cotton jacket which I did not like"--was that the grey one? if so, it looks STUNNING on, in my opinion. i wasn't wild about it on the rack. (i wasn't wild about the $2305 price tag, either, for a jacket that wasn't all leather). the drkshdw stuff did suck, and was virtually the same as the last collection, although a bit more expensive.

Comment

• xcoldricex
      • Sep 2006

that jacket is the one also done in plaid right? i really want one of those jackets- leather or no leather. looks great on in the pictures i've seen. $2400 @ Atelier eeeeek. I guess no one picked up the plaid version?

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="keith"]"One leather/cotton jacket which I did not
        like"--was that the grey one? if so, it looks STUNNING on, in my
        opinion. i wasn't wild about it on the rack. (i wasn't wild about
        the $2305 price tag, either, for a jacket that wasn't all
        leather). the drkshdw stuff did suck, and was virtually the same
        as the last collection, although a bit more expensive.[/quote]

It was this one

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Buckwheat
          • Sep 2006

Thank you all for the report.

I think there's nothing at all I want to buy this season...although those Rick Owens long coats look good on the runway.

I need to buy a new computer instead[:(]

Comment

• keith
            • Sep 2006

yup. I gotta say, I thought that looked great when worn. I saw it on someone else; just eyeballing it, I'm sure my shoulders wouldn't fit into an XL. Saves me the agony of a purchase decision :P

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="keith"]yup. I gotta say, I thought that looked great when worn. I saw it on someone else; just eyeballing it, I'm sure my shoulders wouldn't fit into an XL. Saves me the agony of a purchase decision :P
              [/quote]

Cool.

Buckwheat, no worries, nobody bought Rick's coats, although I thought they were the highlight of the show. I know Atelier bought one version, but I didn't see it there. Maybe they did not get the full delivery yet.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Buckwheat
                • Sep 2006

I think Minority rev in Japan have them last time I checked on their website.

I am pretty happy with the 3 (coats) I have now. I don't think I need anymore...espeically with the weather I am in here [:D]

Comment

• nqth
                  • Sep 2006

I saw the applique in jktsherein Warsaw,it is kind of "towel" isn't it:-)

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎