X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rach2jlc
    • Sep 2006

THE Designer Collaboration: Lattanzi for Jil Sander

So, forget Alexander McQueen for Puma, forget Kim Jones for Umbro, forget Y-3. Also forget Raf Simons and Church's. Okay, actually I like these as well, but the neatest designer collaboration I can remember was back in the late 1990's, when Menichetti (then working on menswear with Jil Sander) comissioned Silvano Lattanzi, maker of completely handmade and exotic shoes,to make a collection of men's shoes for the brand. This was back in the glory days, before Prada and thecuts that resulted in Jil leaving, before Raf and the silhouette that makes the wearer look like they're wearing daddy's oversizedcoat.

As for this collaboration, the results were sometimes frightening (I also have a pair of oxfords that look like something Frankenstein would have worn), but they also succeeded in creating some of the highest quality, most expensive mainstream shoes for a fashion house ever. They were a one time deal, unfortunately, but I've been able to snag a few pairs over the years on the net.

After all the talk about Ann D, Undercover, Junya,and such, I thought I'd post a pair of my Lattanzi for Jil Sander boots, which I think looks great with jeans and shirts bythese designers. Anyway, I think the initial retail on these things was almost $2300 in 1998 or so... but thank God I was able to get a MUCH better deal on them.

Anyway, if you have any experience with this collaboration, any questions about it, or would simply like to post pics of your favorite odd/interesting designer collaborative items, please feel free!

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: THE Designer Collaboration: Lattanzi for Jil Sander

Those are sweet looking boots, John. $2300? Damn, I thought Carpe Diem footwear was expensive. I am not crazy on todays collabs to tell you the truth. Most of them are just a way to make money and glorify blandness, especially all those CDG ones. This looks good though.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
      • Sep 2006

Yeah, I agree with you Faust.With Y-3, for instance, I remember seeing an interview with Yohji where he said, "Not many people know me. Everybody knows Adidas. So, this is a way for people to know me." And, I know he's laughing gnomishly all the way to the bank. Same with Alexander McQueen and Stella McCartney, where it is also convenient that they do these collaborations after getting word from the PPR heads that they've got only a few years to become solvent or they're getting dropped.

Nevertheless, this one was simply an effort on Jil and Menichetti's part to produce a truly unique, superlative item for the brand.I think that there were only four or five different styles and aVERY few produced in each style (probably only afew hundred). Gee, knowing what we do about Patrizio "Corner-cutter" Bertelli, I can't imagine WHY he didn't continue the collaboration (I'd imagine the wholesale cost of these puppies at retail was still probably more than most of the regular Prada or Sander mainline shoes)?

And, believe it or not, $2300 was amongst the lower priced items from the collection. These are rubber-soled and from regular calf, the leather soled ones in slightly more exotic materials were about $2900 or thereabouts, if I recall correctly. Anyway, you ought to check out Lattanzi if you ever get the chance. His shoes are amongst the only truly hand-made shoes in the world. Lots of shoemakers SAY handmade, even though some guy is running them through a big machine. But, these are really hand-made in a little Italian workshop. Hence their price (if you imagine a craftsman earning $50 or so an hour X 8 hours or more to finish a pair of shoes... you begin to see where the cost escalates).

Comment

• Buckwheat
        • Sep 2006

Great topic John. Great looking boots too. I am still searching for a good pair.

There are so many collabrations out there these days. But I think I like Junya's the most so far(probably one of the designers who has the most collabrations? like every season? ha..) Although I am not sold on every collabrations that he did, I really like how he use different fabrics and cut to interpret his works. I think his Levi's and S/S 2006 workwear are really clever and exciting.

I am sure there are many collabrations out there that I have never heard of and seen. Please do share[:)]

Comment

• rach2jlc
          • Sep 2006

My favorite Junya collaboration was when he worked with Moncler to produce down coats. Moncler's down coats are the best in the world, so when Junya added his "spin," the result was REALLY interesting. Of course, regular Monclerjackets are about $900, so I hesitate to wonder what they were in Comme stores.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

My favorite Junya collaboration was when he worked with Moncler to produce down coats. Moncler's down coats are the best in the world, so when Junya added his "spin," the result was REALLY interesting. Of course, regular Monclerjackets are about $900, so I hesitate to wonder what they were in Comme stores.

[/quote]

Actually they were about the same price.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
              • Sep 2006

Really, Faust? That's amazing. Hell, I should have gone and taken a look then. I have a black Moncler "Tany" down coat (the classic fairly fitted quilted down version) and knowing what it cost me, I figured I wouldn't even bother going to see the Junya versions. Don't I feel dumb...

Here's a link to the one I have (except mine is black):

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/gaku/505002/

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

Really, Faust? That's amazing.
                Hell, I should have gone and taken a look then. I have a black
                Moncler "Tany" down coat (the classic fairly fitted quilted down
                version) and knowing what it cost me, I figured I wouldn't even bother
                going to see the Junya versions. Don't I feel dumb...

Here's a link to the one I have (except mine is black):

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/gaku/505002/

[/quote]

Yep. I totally dropped the ball on them too - could've gotten a couple at half off.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kucejoe
                  • Sep 2006

Hey, there is a Jil Sander/ Lattanzi pair of shoes on ebay. I like the boots posted previously better though.

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• rach2jlc
                    • Sep 2006

Strangely enough, right now there are about 3 or 4 pairs of Sander Lattanzi's, in addition to the one's you posted. That's the most I've ever seen at one time. Also, the owners want WAY too much for them, so I figure we'll be seeing them therefor a while (I think the one's you posted are priced at $650 right now. The other pairs are $399.) Two of the pairs are in my size, but seeing as how I've gotten my other pairs for $150-200, I'll wait until they drop the price. Yes, the quality is nice, but 1) the styling is too odd to wear often and 2) they're about 8 years old.

Comment

• kucejoe
                      • Sep 2006

Oh, wow, I totally missed those other pairs. The color is what initially attracted me to the ones I posted and I only noticed the that they were Lattanzi after. Hmm, for 150 I would consider them just because I like the color. Anyways, how many pairs were made, because for the whole rare collaboration/ handmade/ 8 years old shtick there seem to be quite a few floating around.
                      Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• rach2jlc
                        • Sep 2006

Okay, well, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, haha. [:$] I just talked with someone from Jil Sander and they told me that the collaboration WAS continued past those early seasons in 1999-2000. IN fact, he had a pair from last year (priced at $2380). So, I had no idea they were still produced. Geesh, don't I feel foolish.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

I had a chat with coldrice about this collaboration... and I just plain don't get it.

The shoe's look.... generic. Especially that first pair! They look literally like a regular pair of boots. No treatment, it's a regular rounded toe laceup. I'm sure the quality is solid, but... there is nothing special to me about them at all. No creativity, nothing visibly "difficult" about their craftsmanship or anything.

What in the hell justifies that $2000+ price tag? Even a $300 price tag on them, I probably wouldn't buy them. Worn under some dress pants, I'd say just about anyone would mistake them for a pair from Florsheim.

I'm not trying to criticize the fans of this collaboration, I'm just not understanding the hubbub over it.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• rach2jlc
                            • Sep 2006

I think that the quality and banality IS the appeal. Sander's appeal has always been in basic items that don't stand out because of details but nevertheless are impeccably produced.

I definitely see your point, though,Albert. I wouldn't dream of paying $2000+ for them, but I do like the idea of boots so simple that the wearer is the only person who knows what they are. I mean, anybody can cover a regular pair of boots in shiny croco and charge that much, but to make a pair out of calf? It's sort of crazy...but interesting. As for the price, much of that is simply because they are completely handmade. Even regular Lattanzi shoes are $1800-2500, depending on material.

I kind of like the idea of having boots that I can wear without everybody knowing what they are or how much they cost, but that will last forever.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

I think that the quality and banality IS the appeal. Sander's appeal has always been in basic items that don't stand out because of details but nevertheless are impeccably produced.

I definitely see your point, though,Albert. I wouldn't dream of paying $2000+ for them, but I do like the idea of boots so simple that the wearer is the only person who knows what they are. I mean, anybody can cover a regular pair of boots in shiny croco and charge that much, but to make a pair out of calf? It's sort of crazy...but interesting. As for the price, much of that is simply because they are completely handmade. Even regular Lattanzi shoes are $1800-2500, depending on material.

I kind of like the idea of having boots that I can wear without everybody knowing what they are or how much they cost, but that will last forever.

[/quote]

I know the feeling. I get that when I wear my Chalayan jacket that looks almost like a Members Only jacket on the outside, but is a piece of complex tailoring on the inside. I feel like I am wearing a secret.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎