• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Leonard Cohen - poet, song writer, singer

I&#39;m in love with this guy, I swear. He has written some beautiful poetry, and some beautiful songs. I love his coarse voice, and his BTDT, Ecclesiastes-like attitude; there is something serene and peaceful about it. </p>

I also like a bit of irony and self-depreciation, &quot;Because of a few songs where I spoke of their mystery, women have been exceptionally kind to my old age.&quot; A lesser poet would have probably said that a thousand women have flung themselves onto him because he has praised them in his poetry.</p>

It&#39;s funny that I first came across him through a movie Pump Up the Volume, in which the DJ (Christian Slater) would always put on &quot;Everybody Knows.&quot; I was immediately smitten without knowing who Leonard Cohen is. And when in the middle of the film the DJ put on &quot;If It Be Your Will,&quot; I was completely enamoured. I then kind of forgot about Cohen, when Trent Reznor (my all time favorite musician) resurrected him for me a few years later by producing the Natural Born Killers soundtrack. I can&#39;t stop listening to Leonard Cohen since.
    </p>

Does anyone else like him?</p>

</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • mass
    • Sep 2006

Re: Leonard Cohen - poet, song writer, singer

have you ever seen the altman film 'mccabe & mrs miller'? aside from warren beatty looking dapper the entire film (much more so than he did in shampoo) the soundtrack is by cohen. altman has said that he listened to so much cohen while in preproduction that he may have subconciously set the tone of the film to cohen's music. the songs weren't written specifically for the film but they feel just right.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]have you ever seen the altman film &#39;mccabe &amp; mrs miller&#39;? aside from warren beatty looking dapper the entire film (much more so than he did in shampoo) the soundtrack is by cohen. altman has said that he listened to so much cohen while in preproduction that he may have subconciously set the tone of the film to cohen&#39;s music. the songs weren&#39;t written specifically for the film but they feel just right.[/quote]</p>

I haven&#39;t seen it, but I&#39;ll look it up. Thanks for the info.</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zaum
        • Sep 2006

Love him, but I do think he should have stopped putting out albulms after his prime. His poetry, on the other hand, will always be excellent.Travelling Lady is a great song, the Palace Brothers (Palace music? Bonnie Prince Billy? Don&#39;t know what they were called when they did this cover)made a good cover of this song too.

Comment

• minomni
          • Oct 2006

i took an interest in him after seeing the &#39;05 film &#39;leonard cohen: i&#39;m your man&#39; - a beautiful documentary. i think it is the sometimes dark and self-deprecating aspect of his personality that draws me.. &quot;my reputation as a ladies&#39; man was a joke. it caused me to laugh bitterly the 10,000 nights i spent alone.&quot;

</p>

Comment

• MoreYellowBirds
            • Sep 2006

I am your man. [U]</p>

Comment

• destroyed
              • Nov 2006

i am very very fond of cohen&#39;s records &quot;songs from a room&quot; and &quot;songs of leonard cohen&quot;</p>

these two albums are perfect, especially the former.</p>

i like &quot;the future&quot; okay, but not enough to buy.</p>

</p>

i quite enjoy his poetry, too, but it isn&#39;t quite the same without music and singing</p>

</p>
              broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• interman
                • Dec 2006

At the last meeting of the hi-fi club I run we got around to playing some Leonard Cohen, and while I'm not a huge fan, I do appreciate the music he's made and the people he's influenced. The funny thing however is that we did a comparison of the I'm Your Man LP and the CD. They really did sound amazingly different. It was quite surprising how much less organic, yet sterile the CD sounded, which once again reaffirmed my trust in the old format.</p>

Modern audio recording (and mixing) has definitely come a long way, but if you listen to some of the incredible recordings of the 50s and 60s (in particular) you're in for a surprise.</p>

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎