• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion Vomit (aka Celebrity Designers)

I'll start the flame with this - feel free to post your comments. Oh, and good news! - jeans, tshirts, and hoodies are now officially edgy.

Tommy Lee Joins the Clothing "Revolution"

Jenny Peters

November 20th, 2006 @ 1:37 PM - San Francisco

Rocker
    Tommy Lee knew a good idea when he heard it from Danny Guez, the CEO of
    People's Liberation. That edgy clothing company (think jeans, t-shirts,
    hoodies, etc.
    ) first helped turn Justin Timberlake and his buddy Trace
    Ayala into a fashion force with their William Rast line; now they are
    planning to do the same for the Mötley Crüe/Supernova drummer, by
    launching his "TL for PL" limited edition collection at the new
    Bloomingdale's in San Franscisco last Thursday, November 16.

As Lee explained just before his first in-store event there, the
    "TL for PL" is all about his famous tattoos, the ones that nearly 800
    fans (mostly female) stood in line to check out at the event. But he
    admitted that the idea didn't exactly come to him in a vision; he
    needed a little bit of encouragement to branch out from rock and roll
    to fashion.

"To tell you the truth I met with Danny, and I didn't really know
    what to think," said Lee. "We started talking and he's just a super
    cool guy and he was like, 'Why don't you do something totally fun
    that's inspired by your tattoos and make it you, make it totally you
    and personal? Yet also make it for just about anyone to wear.' So we
    met a few times and started taking pictures of my tattoos and putting
    them on different places on the jeans and designing them. All of a
    sudden one day we were sitting there looking at a bunch of samples
    going, 'Wow, this is cool!'"

The result is a line of jeans, t-shirts, hats, and hoodies with
    sections of Lee's numerous tattoos - from stars to koi to dragons -
    artfully placed, making non-tattooed fans feel like a part of the rock
    'n roll gestalt that Lee embodies.

"I lost count a long time ago of how many I have," Lee, who wore
    his new line's t-shirt and jeans proudly, laughed. "They're all
    beautiful things. I love animals, and so there is everything from koi
    fish to leopards. There are cherry blossoms. I love flowers. There are
    dragons. There is fire and water. These are things that I will always
    love to look at, and hopefully people will love to wear."

Assuming that his fans will follow him into the fashion arena (the
    line is in Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, and specialty boutiques), Tommy
    Lee has a plan for expanding his line to include two of his favorite
    things.

"I'd like to get into some other stuff," he said. "Someone asked me
    the other day if I was going to do any kid's clothes, and I thought
    that was great. I have two boys who are nine and ten years old, and
    they're already rocking in little Mötley Crüe shirts.

"I love kids and that would be kind of fun," continued Lee. "That's
    something that we'd have to sit down and play with. I'm a big fan of
    women's shoes as well, but that's a whole other story," he grinned. "I
    have a foot fetish."

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: Fashion Vomit (aka Celebrity Designers)

My opinion on this is really simple; why bother posting about celebrity designers here unless we bring a new angle? I’m pretty sure the general feeling of the board members and design community in general is one of utter contempt for these lines anyway. Posting this will only result in us agreeing this sucks, laughing derisively at people who might wear it and pat ourselves in the back for our amazing good taste.

Now let’s say you would post an article about TL for PL, tell me you tried on the stuff and surprisingly found that some of the articles were well cut, tasteful basics at an interesting price point and went home with two tees then by all mean post because I’m sure it would generate an interesting discussion with other forum members. Just my two cents…

No offense by the way, we owe the high quality level of this board to you...

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

My opinion on this is really simple; why bother posting about celebrity designers here unless we bring a new angle? I’m pretty sure the general feeling of the board members and design community in general is one of utter contempt for these lines anyway. Posting this will only result in us agreeing this sucks, laughing derisively at people who might wear it and pat ourselves in the back for our amazing good taste.

Now let’s say you would post an article about TL for PL, tell me you tried on the stuff and surprisingly found that some of the articles were well cut, tasteful basics at an interesting price point and went home with two tees then by all mean post because I’m sure it would generate an interesting discussion with other forum members. Just my two cents…

No offense by the way, we owe the high quality level of this board to you...

[/quote]

It was a momentary lapse of reason, Fuuma. I normally don't like preaching to the converted, but I was thinking if there is a chance that it would open up something new. Probably not, but we do have members who rarely post.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Tafkap
        • Oct 2006

Alof ofdesigners are celebrities and terrible anyways. Marc Jacobs, Diddles, Michael Kors, etc. I can't talk about bad designers or people who do it mostly for the money. mandy moore, hillary duff, jessica simpson, j-lo......

Comment

• rach2jlc
          • Sep 2006

Agreed about celebrity designers. They bug me almost as bad as celebrity fragrances (if I wouldn't want to dress like a certain celebrity, why in the hell would I want to SMELL like them, too???)

As for the others you mentioned,I remember helping to lead the TFS "I hate Marc Jacobs" thread back a year or two ago, but after having bought a few pairs of his pants and found the cut amazingly flattering and well done, he's starting to convert me (I know, Faust, sacrilege!)True, he doesn't design his own stuff; he doens't even like menswear.True, his Marc by MJ line is overpriced crap, made in China. But, his mainline menswear can be quite nice and I was really impressed by the quality (made by Gibo, nice buttons, fully canvassed construction for jackets/coats, Lampo zippers, etc.)

John

Comment

• clay
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

Agreed about celebrity designers. They bug me almost as bad as celebrity fragrances (if I wouldn't want to dress like a certain celebrity, why in the hell would I want to SMELL like them, too???)

As for the others you mentioned,I remember helping to lead the TFS "I hate Marc Jacobs" thread back a year or two ago, but after having bought a few pairs of his pants and found the cut amazingly flattering and well done, he's starting to convert me (I know, Faust, sacrilege!)True, he doesn't design his own stuff; he doens't even like menswear.True, his Marc by MJ line is overpriced crap, made in China. But, his mainline menswear can be quite nice and I was really impressed by the quality (made by Gibo, nice buttons, fully canvassed construction for jackets/coats, Lampo zippers, etc.)

John

This is OT, John forgive me cause I should probably know the answer to this but , what is a Lampo zipper???? If it is a higher end zipper maker please give any info you can on them.

Sorry members i had to go there before I forget.

[/quote]

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Lampo is one of the best zipper manufacturers (THE best, if you ask me). Commonly used by Balenciaga, Jacobs, Hussein Chalayan, etc.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
                • Sep 2006

Exactly as Faust said. Along with RIRI, Lampo makes really excellent zippers. IPI is another decent brand, but not as good as the other two. Generally, if a garment or manufacturer uses them, it is a good sign, because they cost so much that cheaper or lower-quality makers rarely would bother putting a $20 zipper on something.

In addition to those brands mentioned by Faust, I've also seen them on the mainline Dolce&Gabbana leatherwear (which I guess it technically Ruffo), Moncler, Ermanno Scervino, some older Bikkembergs, Gianni Versace Couture, Jil Sander, top-end Prada, etc.

Sometimes, the zippers used on garments will surprise you. As I said, I didn't expect MJ to use great materials, but wasn't I surprised to find that my nearly $400 Gucci jeans (bought during a moment of weakness during Tom Ford's "Texas" s/s'04) use cheapo YKK's. Likewise, my v20 Prada travel bag doesn't even bother springing for YKK... it's some no-name, absolute shit zippers (they look like something you'd find on a bag that you get as a complimentary gift for buying Kenneth Cole Reaction cologne... eek!)

Comment

• clay
                  • Sep 2006

HA HAAAAA!!!!!! Guess who's wearing one right now and last night as I typed the response to Lampo. Geez, I must be getting old. Most of my zip front cardigans have Lampo zippers!! Further investigation revealed others on jackets and cardigans. I guess it pays to look at what you are wearing, and I am supposed to be a pro. Geez.... I was aware of Riri and actually used one on this leather jacket I did earlier this year.

Thanks John and Faust!!! I gotta look up the other names you mentioned. I know one thing, it is so hard to find great metal in general for apparel and bags, especially at the retail level. When working for companies that need quality metal it is easier cause they already know who to contact. And now I just got some new resources thanks to you guys!!

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="clay"]

HA HAAAAA!!!!!! Guess who's wearing one right now and last night as I typed the response to Lampo. Geez, I must be getting old. Most of my zip front cardigans have Lampo zippers!! Further investigation revealed others on jackets and cardigans. I guess it pays to look at what you are wearing, and I am supposed to be a pro. Geez.... I was aware of Riri and actually used one on this leather jacket I did earlier this year.

Thanks John and Faust!!! I gotta look up the other names you mentioned. I know one thing, it is so hard to find great metal in general for apparel and bags, especially at the retail level. When working for companies that need quality metal it is easier cause they already know who to contact. And now I just got some new resources thanks to you guys!!

[/quote]

Awesome! Well, we aim to please. Also look into MRS, don't know if they have a website. Cloak uses them and Margiela does sometimes. Also for heavy duty, all of my Ann Dem, Rick Owens, etc. zippers have RY on the back - I don't know the name of the company, but maybe John knows?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

Sometimes, the zippers used on garments will surprise you. As I said, I didn't expect MJ to use great materials, but wasn't I surprised to find that my nearly $400 Gucci jeans (bought during a moment of weakness during Tom Ford's "Texas" s/s'04) use cheapo YKK's. Likewise, my v20 Prada travel bag doesn't even bother springing for YKK... it's some no-name, absolute shit zippers (they look like something you'd find on a bag that you get as a complimentary gift for buying Kenneth Cole Reaction cologne... eek!)

[/quote]

let's not talk about raf's new season.... they're not even YKK zippers - they must be .02 cent zippers i swear... worst things i've ever zipped in my life.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                        • Sep 2006

Well, Raf works for Bertelli now, so what else should we expect?Patrizio isrubbing off on others...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]Well, Raf works for Bertelli now, so what else should we expect?Patrizio isrubbing off on others...[/quote]

Actually he doesn't, and I've made the same mistake as you have. I guess they really tried to sweep the sale of Jil Sander to a private equity firm under the covers.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
                            • Sep 2006

That's right; I'd totally forgotten! Thanks for the reminder, Faust. I was so disappointed with the bulky, oversized"I'm wearing my daddy'scoat"that went down the runway, I really hadn't bothered to check up again after I intially heard the brand had been sold. Plus, I spent enough during 2004-2005 (when Jil came back), that I can hardly justify buying much of anything from them again,unless it was just something spectactular.

As for the earlier mention of RY zippers... I've never heard of them. But, if Ann D is using them, I'm sure that they are good. It is possible that they are one of the various lines produced by either RIRI or lampo... they make a number of different kinds. But, I'll look around my closet and see if I can find any RYs.

Comment

• djrajio
                              • Sep 2006

Most of the niche Japanese labels (Julius, The Virdi-Anne, etc.) use Riri zippers. It's usually a good indication is the label is full of shit or decently priced is you check the zippers considering the high mark-up here.I remember checking our Dior one day andnoticed that all their zip-up boots had YKK zippers. Mind you these were 800+ dollarretail boots....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎