X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djrajio
    • Sep 2006

What do you guys do to keep in shape?

So I'm a big workout fanatic. I'm was big intorunning, did a couple marathons,and weight-lifting in college and over the past year have gotten pretty serious again. Not to get overly buff but to maintain my weight and stay fit. Lately I've been doing 5 days a week hard cardiovascular running for 30-35 minutes, usually6-8 km, followed by an hour of weights focusing on just one muscle area per day. I've noticed its been more effective than circuit training, since it allows my muscles tear and re-heal sufficiently and the results have been good. I've also started to get back into surfing on the weekends but the waves in Chiba, Kamakura, pale compared to L.A. Been planning to run another marathon probably next year in summer or fall. Curious what other posters on SZ do to keep in shape?Any cool newwork-out program/routines that you guys are into? What has worked for you? What hasn't? Also curious if any of you have done a triathlon? I wanna do one soon as well. I suppose I should have put this up on Men's Health or something, but why not, haha.
  • nairb49
    • Dec 2006

Re: What do you guys do to keep in shape?

Some atheletes, great! </p>

Raj, I&#39;m an avid squash player so when the season is on, that serves as my cardio. I usually have a hit 5-6 times a week, with off court drills the other days. I also target muscle groups, I have a 4 day rotation with a day of rest for weights, and like you, the weights are mainly for maintenance as opposed to building. </p>

During the offseason, I do triathlons. Unfortunately, triathlons are pretty bad for squash (build the wrong kind of endurance) but I love them and can&#39;t kick the habit. If you can swim, thats half the battle. well, more than that since you can already run quite well.
    </p>

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Nothing, sadly. Between family, work, and school, it&#39;s been really hard. I try to go to the gym 2-3 times a week, but it&#39;s pretty sporadic. I used to run 3-4 times a week for half an hour, 3.5miles, lift, and play soccer on the weekends (the best and most fun workout ever). Now I don&#39;t run anymore because my knees hurt, so I switched to cycling classes. It&#39;s all right. I wish I had more time.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• djrajio
        • Sep 2006

Nairb, that awesome you&#39;re able to maintain both squash and triathlons! I&#39;d figure that triatholons would require more quick endurance training which I&#39;m particularly not used to, so what type of training have you done to transition between the squash and triathlon seasons?Any books or sites or information you&#39;d recommend?

Comment

• Chessy Wiz
          • Dec 2006

please dont bagger or harass me beacuse of my bad spellking...OH NO its the damn key board....yeah and i type like 600 words a sec so the accuracy goes down</p>

Speed baby</p>

Comment

• Chessy Wiz
            • Dec 2006

well i have really bad skin....so running and keeping active clears it up.....</p>

or so heard!!</p>

well yay you run that marathon i will be on your back cherring you the whole way</p>

Comment

• minomni
              • Oct 2006

i&#39;ve been running on and off for the past two years on my own with little progress. i decided to make a more ambitious attempt lately and joined a training group for the austin marathon [february]. it&#39;s going quite well, up to about 35 miles a week with easy runs on monday and thursday, quality run on wednesday and the long run on sunday. on the off days i do some combination of weight lifting and pilates on my own, which i&#39;m slowly but surely becoming more capable in. the pilates routines are from a book called &#39;the complete book of pilates for men&#39;, by daniel lyon - very comprehensive and detail oriented, supplemented with full illustrations if anyone might be interested. i also participate in a road race of some sort every three weeks as a source of motivation, typically half marathon distance range. all in all, i&#39;m basically trying to claw for every inch of fitness i can get before the marathon, working towards a 3:30 finish.</p>

glad to hear you&#39;re a marathon runner rajio, which cities did you run?
              </p>

Comment

• nairb49
                • Dec 2006

raj- in terms of transitioning, it basically ends up being really tough starts to the seasons ;)</p>

when I was younger, I was a competitive swimmer and always ran. Then somehow ( i really can&#39;t remember the driving factor) I got into cycling and there you have it. If you&#39;re just planning on doing it casually, I suggest you set up a plan and &quot;target&quot; each separate activity as if it was a weight group, slowly building in time and intensity. Then, add in another activity but cut down the time.</p>

Say, instead of running 10k, swim 1k and then run 5. Then add in cycling etc etc.</p>

Judging by your physical activities now, you&#39;re well on your way. A great and fun way to get into it is by trying out a &quot;sprint&quot; triathlon, which is (it varies) a 800m swim, 20k bike, and 5k run (a joke for you). From there, you move up to olympic distance and eventually, Ironman. Which is a whole other world in itself, crazy. </p>

If you&#39;re just starting, I found this website to be a nice starting block to organize schedules. </p>

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/default.asp</p>

</p>

Comment

• djrajio
                  • Sep 2006

Aiming for a 3:30 finish! Nice! I guess you&#39;re pretty fit then. I typically do around3 hours myself. Best of luck with your race. If you&#39;ve never done a marathon before, its definitely a life changing experience and I highly suggest everyone to try it once. Mino, I&#39;ve done the LA Marathon 4 times and the San Francisco marathon once, also have done a ton of half-marathons and a couple 18 milers. I wanted to do the Tokyo marathon but never got the motiviation. I suppose I should join a training group myself.</p>

Comment

• deuxmille
                    • Nov 2006

I have the worst diet ever and I don&#39;t work out but I&#39;m quite underweight, so my theory is that all my fat is being stored on an other planet and will hit me when I turn 35.

Comment

• minomni
                      • Oct 2006

[quote user=&quot;djrajio&quot;]

Aiming for a 3:30 finish! Nice! I guess you&#39;re pretty fit then. I typically do around3 hours myself. Best of luck with your race. If you&#39;ve never done a marathon before, its definitely a life changing experience and I highly suggest everyone to try it once. Mino, I&#39;ve done the LA Marathon 4 times and the San Francisco marathon once, also have done a ton of half-marathons and a couple 18 milers. I wanted to do the Tokyo marathon but never got the motiviation. I suppose I should join a training group myself.</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

3 hours. [:|] that is very speedy! i haven&#39;t been running distance very long, my previous training were more along the lines of frequent 3-5 mile runs. i hope to be able to run 3:10 a year from now, would be an amazing experience to qualify and participate in boston. a tokyo course sounds pretty appealing, too. [:D]
                      </p>

Comment

• xcoldricex
                        • Sep 2006

damn.</p>

i dance. but being back in michigan isn't helping since i have no community here. gotta find some people to dance with... used to go to the gym in college, not so much anymore - as i'm getting used to the whole being back in school thing - but that's just an excuse ;)
                        </p>

Comment

• khiev
                          • Nov 2006

I hit the gym once a week, but it's not because of laziness, it's rather deliberate. I follow Pete Sisco's PFT workout, but I also do a set of each workout prescribed in the traditional way at the end of each set. Because the workouts are so intense, my muscles need a week to recover.</p>

To keep my metabolism up, and the fat down, I do suicide runs for about 10mins every day except on my workout day and on sunday. Again it's all about intensity, and frankly suicide runs give you the best results than any other workouts- it's a super fat-burning exercise that is intense but brief as well. Another reason I do sprints is because they target your fast twitch muscles, which is a perfect complement to my weekly gym workouts. Also, I used to be a sprinter, so I've always enjoyed speed, and suicide runs help me keep my natural speed.</p>

After my daily sprint workout, I do some plyometrics for 10mins or so in order to develop explosive power. In overall, I only spend less than 30mins daily keeping fit.</p>

I'm also a huge football (real soccer! not the BS name that americans branded 'football') fan. Fortunately, my college is pretty diverse and we formed an international soccer club. We play 3-4 times a week, for about 2 hrs each session. On the other hand, my college has a reputation for being a pressure cooking school, so most of us go about twice a week on average (thrice if we're lucky).</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• CHRIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2006

i sit on my ass and eat cheez-its all day.

Comment

• nairb49
                              • Dec 2006

what sort of dancing, c-rice? bboy etc? I would imagine that keeps you crazy strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎