X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeijiHaino
    • Dec 2006

Haute

Can anyone give me information on Haute? I can't find much on the net...is this a respected brand? lol. I saw some Haute garments on yoox and it got me wondering....has anyone ordered from Yoox? It seems kind of cheap and maybe imitation? thanks.

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Haute

Haute is a rather problematic label for me. It overlaps in philosophy with the likes of Carpe Diem and Poell - Vincenzo de Cottis does a lot of cool fabrics, and tries for an edgy, one-off style. I don't think he succeeds though - as the styles themselves are rather slick. Maybe the combination is not a good one? I don't know. All I know is that I don't see him getting the same level of respect.

A lot of is also rather ill-fitted. I've tried many items, and none fit properly. I don't mean that they are super skinny or super boxy, their proportions are just wrong. I think it's the first thing he should fix. So, while I really like the fabrics, there is a lot left to be desired. I do have one pair of pants, wool with steel fibers, which are cool, and two belts, both from a super soft nappa leather, one with chains.

de Cottis is also an architect. His hotel in Milan is fucking awesome. I stayed there and had a blast.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• macuser3of5
      • Sep 2006

I agree with faust here... The stuff fits oddly (tees are belly-baring [:S]). Overall Haute seems to be a slightly sexed-up, slicked-down Linea/Carpe Diem. It's in a wierd aesthetic limbo, and I just don't find myself attracted to it much if at all.

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

The label's name is pronounced "Hot" according to De Cotiis, do you really want to know more? [:P]

Kidding aside, I'm interested in his furniture, I'm sure staying at his hotel was quite fun:

"De Cotiis has established a dialogue between design and fashion, as in the Progetto Domestico (home project), his latest workshop (...), where his new designs for chairs and carpets draw their inspiration from trousers and dress suits." From Upstreet issue 12 (year=2004).

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• xcoldricex
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

A lot of is also rather ill-fitted. I've tried many items, and none fit properly. I don't mean that they are super skinny or super boxy, their proportions are just wrong. I think it's the first thing he should fix. So, while I really like the fabrics, there is a lot left to be desired.

[/quote]

cosign cosign cosign. not one haute piece i've tried on has fit well.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Nice showroom. I could live there.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Perforated leather - nice for summer.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Another gorgeous leather. Like I said, the fabrics are amazing, but the execution leaves me cold.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Haute

The avant-garde of Italian
                  design

Created by an interior
                  designer, Haute is all about research and an unusual use of different
                  fabrics and textures. Angelo Flaccavento reports on this small Italian
                  label that is becoming a must in high fashion circles.

Haute is a concise, sophisticated
                  collection for men and women created by Italian interior designer
                  Vincenzo De Cotiis. Slowly but surely, it is seducing a select coterie
                  of discerning cognoscenti - mainly fashion people fed-up with the
                  homogeneous offers around, and intellectual types - with a fresh siren's
                  chant.

Contrary to any preconceived
                  idea about an architect working with clothing, there is nothing utterly
                  architectural going on here. No angled stuff, no uber-minimal bore.
                  Haute is an arty, free cocktail: one part couture spirit (it's in
                  the name, after all), two parts offbeat allure. The overall effect
                  verges charmingly on the beatnik.

"I've been interested
                  in fashion for a long time," says De Cotiis, "but I only recently
                  came up with the right solution to produce an adequate collection."

Born in 1958, the boho-looking
                  architect graduated from the Milan Polytechnic after art studies.
                  Working mainly, style-wise, with the play of surfaces and materials,
                  he has made his name with a handful of private homes and fashionable
                  boutiques - the directional, light-bathed Antonia in Milan, Tessabit
                  in Como, the organic yet linear Sugar in Arezzo and Joffre in Barcelona,
                  to name a few. Today De Cotiis still dedicates a great amount of time
                  to interior projects such as the soon-to-open Saint Raph hotel in
                  Milan, the first design-led hotel in town, targeted to cosmopolitan
                  palates while continuing to shape Haute, "the free-reign of my arty
                  side."

A stubbornly-kept outsider's
                  perspective on fashion, the lack of a formal training, plus the will
                  to approach the project as "pure fun" all add to the uniqueness of
                  the Haute recipe. Again, De Cotiis' mark is the in the visual and
                  tactile play of different fabrics and decorations. The clothes, in
                  a sensuous palette of earthy or powdery tones, marry clean lines with
                  sinfully textural, intricate surfaces/details.

"I love to re-use old
                  materials, giving them new life in a constant search for the new and
                  unusual. This is something I do also in my interiors, where I define
                  space including, as a sort of accent, stones or upholstery that have
                  already been used. Haute, too, is all about research and mix: it's
                  the choice of materials that dictates the outcome of the collection,
                  " says the designer. "The forms are somehow always there: I go for
                  a lean silhouette with very narrow shoulders."

Streamlined to perfection,
                  the slim trench-coat, sleeveless tops, lean trousers, blousons and
                  other wardrobe staples lose any lab-like appearance when done-up in
                  fabrics and decors culled from eclectic sources to be constantly assembled
                  and dissembled like a dream-like puzzle. Citing at random: beaded
                  matted lace held by copper rings and layered onto recycled army tank
                  tops; old scarves or military flags cut into inserts on sailor-like
                  pieces; strips of hairy fur woven with recycled wool; original 20s
                  lamé used on the reverse side; buckles reinterpreted as ornaments;
                  striped mattress ticking used as a precious fabric. Because of its
                  high malleability, leather is a favourite, too. If it's plain, it
                  is rough as sharkskin or shrivelled snakeskin; otherwise it gets a
                  scratched, scorched treatment. Ditto for furs, used as textural accents.

Any grunge-y or costume-y
                  outcome is firmly kept away by the rigorous treatment each garment
                  is given, just like any design object. All items, from the jacket
                  down to the belt, are thus obsessively perfected to work on their
                  own, not just as part of the collection. In fact, the designer sees
                  Haute as "a unique repertory of possibilities left open to the wearer
                  for complete freedom of interpretation," rather than a total look.

Eclecticism is De Cotiis'
                  only style credo. His personal tastes and influences range accordingly.
                  He loves minimalist sculptor Donald Judd and Arte Povera exponent
                  Jannis Kounellis "because of the attention to pure forms and materials,"
                  but also couturiers as diverse as the exotic Paul Poiret and the quasi-minimalist
                  Madeleine Vionnet, two French icons from the Twenties, "both masters
                  of their craft." And the 20s are "one of my favourite periods in fashion."

As a plus, Haute is hand-made,
                  produced in very limited quantities and two items hardly look perfectly
                  identical. It is available at Banner in Milan; L'Éclaireur
                  in Paris; Browns in London; Barneys in New York; Maxfield in Los Angeles;
                  Barneys in Japan; and Joyce in Hong Kong.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎