X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeijiHaino
    • Dec 2006

which designer uses the best fabrics?

I like Rick Owens, but my girlfriend just bought a Rochas skirt that is amazing. I think Haider Ackermann won the swiss textiles award a couple years ago but I have never felt or seen his clothing in person. Can anyone recommend a designer or house that uses extraordinary fabric? I'm looking to purchase something soon and want to find something new.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: which designer uses the best fabrics?

What is the best fabric in your opinion? It's kind of a loaded term, I think. Softest to the touch, most durable, uniquely treated? It's hard to say.

Some people like Paul Harnden for example - but his fabrics are neither soft to the touch, nor do they look particularly luxurious.

Pretty much most labels championed on here use excellent fabrics (Raf Simons and Margiela are probably on the lowest level of that chain) - CDiem, Poell, Ann, Rick Owens, etc. I think Yohji Yamamoto uses amazing fabrics, and I like some fabrics CDG and Junya use. It's a pretty big discussion, I think - not sure where to start.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

faust is right here. "best" completely comes down to the individual's taste. I love the RO vintage fabric feel, but it's not functional. Prone to holes and stretching... not something you want when you shell out $300 for a sheer tee.

I'm a big fan of Carpe Diem fabrics. It's all done in-house and really is amazing stuff. With all the raw edged work they do, the fabric is woven nice enough that it doesn't dethread readily. The experimental line Linea worked with some really crazy fabric mixtures that really can't be found elsewhere... cotton/metal mixes (although Ann Dem did one of those), bamboo/linen/cotton mixes, even cotton/leather/etc mixes!

Poell also definitely knows his fabrics. The weight and structure of each piece is damn near perfect for the right ruching and drape.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• djrajio
        • Sep 2006

There's no such thing as a designer that uses the best fabrics. It all personal preference. Also a lot of designers, especially the avant garde Japanese houses, like to use one material or a theme of materials for a certain collection, for example heavy military canvas material for one collection, then synthetic poly blends and soft cottons the next, ala Junya Wanatabe...or Undercover deconstructing old/used garments which in their ownright may be "inferior" but are reworked to something golden. Instead of trying to figure out which designers use the best fabrics, try to develop your own personal style which draws from a set of looks, materials, fabrics, cuts that you like and then incorporate items from a range of labels/used items/whatever that reflect that look. Personally I'm not a fan of C. Diem / Linea / et. al, I feel the garments is too raw and esoteric for my stylized personal look, so I find the Japanese labels to be a healthy medium to give a stylized/approachable look with the philosophy/heart/inspiration of C.Diem, etc...

Comment

• Johnny
          • Sep 2006

I?ve been disappointed with some C Diem fabrics ? I have a sweater that pills almost as soon as you look at it. It looks a bit rubbish actually. I agree about Poell, and some of the experimental fabrics that you mention from Linea etc. Some more ?mainstream? designers have excellent fabrics, more obviously luxurious but excellent none the less. Marni, Chloe, Chanel, Armani, YSL all capable of quite interesting, fine fabrics, not overly treated, but well put together and composed. Kristensen du Nord do nice cashmere, not ludicrously priced. Harnden?s linen is beautiful. Spose it does all come down to personal taste, but if there?s some though, some innovation, some quality in there, I think you can have some objective criteria for looking at it.

Comment

• The Baron
            • Jan 2007

Yeah, this is kind of a loaded question, but I'll throw in a few personal faves...

Prada's 72/23/5 cotton/nylon/elastane is the best stretch/wrinkle-free fabric I've found in dress shirts. Very nice hand, and it wears well and looks good.

Raf Simons' knits are consistently excellent. He pulls off everything from dry feel to soft and luxurious. Part of what makes him so intelligent is the way he merges fibers, weaves, and colors to make a consistent whole.

Ann Demeulemeester always has the best-draping fabrics available. Anyone can use 100% cotton, but Ann can make it something special.

Comme des Garcons excels at making natural fibers into fabrics that feel like space-age synthetics. They always use interesting weave patterns or special treatments to create fresh textures and shapes.

Finally, A-Poc is in a class by itself...the fabric is the design, the design
            is the fabric. When it comes to textile innovation, A-Poc is a cut
            above everyone else.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎