• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Mihara Yasuhiro

So, I am usually not a fan of his designs, but I thought this past season was pretty good. I liked the coats with wires inside the collar (a bit Poellish), some knits, and some shirts. I found some pictures for you to enjoy.

Deer leather jacket

Blazer with wired collar.

The knit

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Mihara Yasuhiro

I didn't know Mihara's style was like this. I only associate him with the MiharaYasuhiro x Puma collaboration which produced lackluster results.

The leather jacket is NICE!

... I still want the wired sleeve CCP shirt myself :(

Thanks Faust! I don't know where you come up with all these photos especially for that obscure Volga Volga thread!

-A

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

I didn't know Mihara's style was like this. I only associate him with the MiharaYasuhiro x Puma collaboration which produced lackluster results.

The leather jacket is NICE!

... I still want the wired sleeve CCP shirt myself :(

Thanks Faust! I don't know where you come up with all these photos especially for that obscure Volga Volga thread!

-A

[/quote]

I'm the new runner.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
        • Sep 2006

i actually have always liked mihara a lot. i was going to buy quite a few pieces during my trip but i spent too much money on the pieces i did buy so... i passed (one of them being a overcoat with a wire collar). but i plan on getting a few soon. i particularly like some of the cargoes he makes. (i also remember seeing the silver 925 pyramid studs bracelet i just
        bought on him in an interview in some magazine which made me want to
        find it for a few years... and i finally did!) some of it is way over the top, like the shoes that are half silver half gold down the middle or half brogue half sneaker... mihara also seems to be popular in japan seeing as it sells really fast whenever i see pieces pop up in second hand stores.

Comment

• CHRIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2006

not me. buti wishthis were my jacket.

kumo, are you on here?

Comment

• minomni
            • Oct 2006

that jacket sold on ebay for $65.00 not too long ago - missed out on the bidding :(

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

[quote user="minomni"]that jacket sold on ebay for $65.00 not too long ago - missed out on the bidding :(
              [/quote]

My god...
              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Tiger
                Banned
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

I'm the new runner.

[/quote]

Hahahahahhahaha

mr. runner always amazed me......

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="minomni"]that jacket sold on ebay for $65.00 not too long ago - missed out on the bidding :(
                  [/quote]

Whaaaat?! [:|]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• minomni
                    • Oct 2006

yup - it was in good finds thread. it was actually $61.00.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="minomni"]yup - it was in good finds thread. it was actually $61.00.
                      [/quote]

Insanity

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

I remember seeing that jacket on ebay just after it sold out...

Thanks faust for the pics. Blazer with the wired collar looks nice. These pieces actually look a lot better than what I saw in japan last year.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

I remember seeing that jacket on ebay just after it sold out...

Thanks faust for the pics. Blazer with the wired collar looks nice. These pieces actually look a lot better than what I saw in japan last year.

[/quote]

Yea, nothing before this season from him turned my head, but this was a good one. The coat with the wired collar is even nicer.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
                            • Nov 2006

[quote user="xcoldricex"] some of it is way over the top, like the shoes that are half silver half gold down the middle or half brogue half sneaker... mihara also seems to be popular in japan seeing as it sells really fast whenever i see pieces pop up in second hand stores.
                            [/quote]

Those shoes are on every kid in Shibuya. I find them quite offensive personally.

Comment

• xcoldricex
                              • Sep 2006

JCReport:

Mihara Yasuhiro
                              Tokyo

Mihara Yasuhiro, the antiestablishment insider

The son of an artist mother, Mihara Yasuhiro is an iconoclast with a
                              rather abstract view of fashion tempered with an acute social awareness
                              and disdain for narrow stereotypes ? a design approach he sums up
                              perfectly in the formula "what you see is never what you get." Born in
                              Fukuoka in 1972, Yasuhiro started pretty early: he had his own footwear
                              line, Archi Doom, while still a student at Tama Art University,
                              and opened the first Miharayasuhiro shop in Aoyama, Tokyo, in 1998.
                              Since then he's been a fixture in the edgy circles of Japanese fashion
                              with both his eponymous line for men and women and the Puma Mihara
                              footwear collection developed in partnership with the athletic shoe
                              giant. Yasuhiro, who works in a conceptual vein and is technically
                              skillful, has been part of the Milan menswear calendar for three
                              seasons. His debut collection ? slightly military with an odd mixture
                              of formality and casualness ? caught attention, as did its follow-up, a
                              punkish array of tailored suits held together with giant metal staples
                              in place of stitches. Hitting another home run this past June, Mihara's
                              s/s 06 effort is an ode to individuality and optimism with a strain of
                              ingénue futurism and space cowboy details. The guy has got plenty of
                              talent and vision to boot: we are eager to learn more about this
                              maverick designer.

JCR: What drove you to fashion in the first place and what kind of expressive possibilities do you find in it?

MY: At first, I was not longing to work in fashion. I think I became
                              involved as a result of creating and making shoes. Fashion offers so
                              many possibilities, the main being, in my opinion, "expansiveness of
                              fetishism."

JCR: What's your working method?

MY: Definitely experimental.

JCR: How would you describe your aesthetic and approach?

MY: Sublime meets ridiculous.

JCR: What, or who, inspires you?

MY: It's honestly difficult to pinpoint one single inspiration.
                              Whatever I think of during each and every day somehow relates to my
                              work.

JCR: Are you interested in hybridity? The split shoes in the last
                              collection, those jean jackets with peak lapels, and many other recent
                              and not-so-recent pieces do certainly look like hybrids. It's as if you
                              try to merge different references: tailoring, uniforms, etc. Do you
                              agree with this reading?

MY: Yes, I do. I like to work with stereotypes belonging to different
                              groups or categories. I believe people will discover new things when
                              stereotypes become unstable.

JCR: When and why did you develop the collaborative collection with
                              Puma, and how is it working for them? What are the differences and
                              similarities between the Miharayasuhiro and the Puma Mihara collections?

MY: I started working with Puma six years ago, in 1999. I was eager to
                              study sneakers and I believe it was a necessary step for me in my
                              pursuit of a global knowledge of shoemaking. If you work on sneakers,
                              it's mandatory to understand technique and theory alike. Puma answered
                              my request at the end of 20th century. My own line and the one for them
                              are totally different, in terms of both purpose and achievement.

JCR: Do you prefer menswear or womenswear? And do you design menswear for yourself?

MY: I honestly like both: they derive from different thinking points,
                              and both teach me a lot of things. Of course I design menswear for
                              myself.

JCR: So what do you personally wear?

MY: I wear what seems normal to me, but other people may find a little bit weird.

JCR: What's the inspiration behind the s/s '06 collection?

MY: The inspiration is "people's blind expectation when humans are
                              about to land on the moon." Shapes and details in the collection are
                              inspired by American mass production in the '50s and '60s, which means
                              something kind of cheap.

JCR: Can you please tell us something about the narrative subtext that
                              accompanies your collections? Does this happen at an early stage, i.e.,
                              when design starts, or later, before the presentation? In any case,
                              these stories are always very touching, and the same goes for the shows.

MY: One day I found a story on Apollo 11, with pictures; the article
                              had been written in 1969. At that time, people had great, hopeful
                              expectations for the future. I like that atmosphere: it was strong and
                              almost blind in its lightness. At the beginning of this year, I felt
                              desperate for no particular reason; I was thinking a lot about the
                              current events and the future. There are so many problems and troubles
                              in the world. Even though as humans we are naturally accustomed to face
                              problems, I felt really desperate. I kept repeating one phrase in my
                              mind, "No plan to go but still I leave." This phrase was the result of
                              many different emotions. It's difficult to express how I feel. Is the
                              world where we live now the result of what human beings have dreamt? Or
                              the world now is hopeless?

JCR: The titles of your collections, "Sublime meets Ridiculous" and "No
                              Plan to Leave," always go straight to the point. How do you come up
                              with them?

MY: I was taught that things have many facets. Shakespeare
                              said that "Nothing is good or evil." Human beings always search for the
                              same things, no matter what era they live in. Whenever I try to express
                              something, I keep pursuing totally different goals, and by acting like
                              this, I control myself.

JCR: The casting in your shows is
                              really outstanding. Do you cast models by yourself, or do you have
                              someone doing that for you? What kind of guys do you go for, and why?

MY: I choose models by myself. For the s/s '06 collection, I wanted
                              guys of impressive individuality. I like people who are natural;
                              show-off types are not my kind.

JCR: What do you think of fashion's current focus on menswear?

MY: I think it's a good thing. I mean, this will translate into new technical achievements, hopefully.

JCR: What has caught your attention lately?

MY: An effecter (often used with electric guitars). It's a very experimental machine, and I like it.

This interview was conducted by Angelo Flaccavento.

Photos:

Mihara Yasuhiro s/s '06

Mihara Yasuhiro

Mihara Yasuhiro a/w '05-'06

Puma by Mihara Yasuhiro

5-6 Mihara Yasuhiro s/s '06

Puma by Mihara Yasuhiro

8-10 Mihara Yasuhiro s/s '06

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀