X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaridRose
    • Jan 2007

Fashion Peer-to-Peer sharing?

I have a decent collection of lookbooks and rare fashion books. There are also some books that I have passed up for one reason or another, didnt have the money, couldnt find it or gave it away. Now I am scanning all of my books page by page and saving them onto little 3" discs to save space and to create a "back-up", etc. I also love collected photos from as many fashion collections and models and keeping them on my extra hardrive....

I love free music, i use Soulseek often.... (I spent thousands on records for years before i realized it was a waste, no matter what Lars from Metallica tells me)

I am wondering if anyone here would like to share some of their books (complete only).? There are a number of websites where we can upload complete folders of the files and post them if we want to share...I know scanning may take a while but it may be worth it with all the stuff we can share....I'm tired of trying to search for all of my favorite pics and designers and collect pictures...I recently collected over 1000 pictures of Heather Marks for a friend. It was nice just to have them all on one disc! Maybe we can post want lists or things we are willing to upload as a folder on a share site? just an idea.....

Right now I have Martin Margiela Street Vol.1 and 2 that I am willing to scan, photoshop to clean up and share....? does anyone think this is wrong? is sharing bad? I sure dont want to pay tons of money for things we can all share!!!

j

• Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Re: Fashion Peer-to-Peer sharing?

I'm Servo2000 on soulseek. I'm rarely if ever on these days, and I don't share music anymore, either, but if you ever feel like chatting I'm there sometimes.

Over the next couple of months I'm going to be buying Fashion-ology: An Introduction to Fashion Studies, Bless: Celebrating 10 Years of Themelessness, Fashion at the Edge: Spectacle, Modernity and Deathliness, Extreme Beauty: The Body Transformed (MMOA Series), Fashion and Modernity, the _Fabrics Interseason Protocol book, and The Japanese Revolution in Paris Fashion. Looks like books are going to be taking up just about all of my spending money over the next couple of months.

If anyone would be interested in any of those, I could probably take sometime in a couple of weekends and scan whichever ones I've bought. I'll be getting these one at a time, as I can digest them, over the next couple of months, so it will probably be a while 'till I'll be able to scan most of them.

(on a side note, I'd like to turn those books into links to their respective pages. Does anyone know the bbcode for this? Because the [*url*] [*/url*] tags don't work particularly well for this situation.)
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• JaridRose
      • Jan 2007

It seems like it might be alot of work, but for me it is beneficial....It will take me acouple hours to scan a 50 page book and crop pages correctly, etc...but if I am sharing with others I can probably have who knows how many other books? I think another point is that we share, on Soulseek I ban anyone who tries to get a file of mine if they aren't sharing files. For one reason really, you gotta share! And another being the time we would put into scanning images or purchasing the book. I also have the original Ann DemeulemeesterSummer 1988 Lookbook, which cost me hundreds and is rare beyond belief. I don't like the idea of "sharing" it and having it float all around the internet knowing the value of it and not well, getting anything in return. I am more than happy to share with people who share also though and see the value of not leaking their valuables tonon-sharers!

I am not sure how to link to pages and I'm sure some people may not like the idea of this but it happens with other media as well and i love the idea of it! id love to have any of those books! we need a system.

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

[quote user="JaridRose"]I think another point is that we share, on Soulseek I ban anyone who tries to get a file of mine if they aren't sharing files.[/quote]

I did the same thing back when I actually downloaded music. I had something like 12 or 13 thousand files shared, but then for whatever reason I sort of started slowing down my music-consumption, to the point that now I only buy an album or two a month, so I got rid of my shared files just to avoid any trouble. Now I only use it to talk to friends who are on all the time. There are a lot of methods / means to actually sharing the files, www.yousendit.com for instance. I think as far as sharing goes, if anyone is interested, the user should probably just post anything they have to offer, say what they're interested in, what they'd give away / what they'd trade for, etc...

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]
          I'm Servo2000 on soulseek. I'm rarely if ever on these days, and I don't share music anymore, either, but if you ever feel like chatting I'm there sometimes.

Over the next couple of months I'm going to be buying Fashion-ology: An Introduction to Fashion Studies, Bless: Celebrating 10 Years of Themelessness, Fashion at the Edge: Spectacle, Modernity and Deathliness, Extreme Beauty: The Body Transformed (MMOA Series), Fashion and Modernity, the _Fabrics Interseason Protocol book, and The Japanese Revolution in Paris Fashion. Looks like books are going to be taking up just about all of my spending money over the next couple of months.

If anyone would be interested in any of those, I could probably take sometime in a couple of weekends and scan whichever ones I've bought. I'll be getting these one at a time, as I can digest them, over the next couple of months, so it will probably be a while 'till I'll be able to scan most of them.

(on a side note, I'd like to turn those books into links to their respective pages. Does anyone know the bbcode for this? Because the [*url*] [*/url*] tags don't work particularly well for this situation.)

[/quote]

LOL, that is my reading list too.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Jarid, I think it's a great idea (IP laws notwithstanding). I have Beglian Fashion Design, which is a stunning book, now out of print and is next to impossible to get, and I would love to share it (and especially exchange it for the Margiela book). The trouble is I have neither scanner nor the time. One day I will have both.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interman
              • Dec 2006

I'd love this as well. Yousendit is a pretty good idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have people with the bandwidth to serve the stuff on an ftp or seed a torrent.

I don't have that many books to share, and I don't have a scanner here, but hopefully at some point I will.

Comment

• sbw4224
                • Sep 2006

JaridRose, I have to concur with everyone else. Great idea, but I don't have a scanner. I have all 4 issues of A magazine, Sample, and Raf Simons Redux right now that I would be more than willing to share, but I just don't have the time. I suppose if someone was willing to scan things, I would be willing to ship them my books in order to create some sort of private online library.

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

In about two weeks, I'll start having free time on weekends again (midterms are coming up) and I can test out my scanner. If everything works out well, I'd be more than willing to scan and upload anything that people would be willing to send me. I'd probably even pay for shipping one-or-both ways if the book doesn't weight like 20 pounds as it would be cheaper than buying whatever the book is, and it lets me enjoy and archive some things that I would otherwise never see.

Comment

• JaridRose
                    • Jan 2007

Yeah, the time thing can be in issue. One of the reasons why I am making time to do it is because I somehow lose stuff like crazy. I have somehow lost over 20 lookbooks andmagazinesin the past two years, (or had friends sneak them out of my apartment), and Im tired of losing stuff. Also when I was at fashion school I had access to all kinds of amazing books that arent even available to the general public which I could have scanned and archived. So that's a big regret, I think I will enroll in school again just to do that sometime....in the meantime, I gotta make backups, I'm a nerd like that, and If for some reason the world comes to an end I can have my trusty cds with fashion on them....I also love some of those pics from Label Under Construction, etc.which I can't find anywhere else except for a few places like here and the net, and if I get them all saved on a disc it's easier for me to look at them all at oncerather thanjumping around from site to site. I am a freelance designer and working on my collection so all I pretty much do now is research design and flats on Illustrator. I am going to be archiving little by littlefor the next week or so and I will let you all know what I get through with.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="JaridRose"]Yeah, the time thing can be in issue. One of the reasons why I am making time to do it is because I somehow lose stuff like crazy. I have somehow lost over 20 lookbooks andmagazinesin the past two years, (or had friends sneak them out of my apartment), and Im tired of losing stuff. Also when I was at fashion school I had access to all kinds of amazing books that arent even available to the general public which I could have scanned and archived. So that's a big regret, I think I will enroll in school again just to do that sometime....in the meantime, I gotta make backups, I'm a nerd like that, and If for some reason the world comes to an end I can have my trusty cds with fashion on them....I also love some of those pics from Label Under Construction, etc.which I can't find anywhere else except for a few places like here and the net, and if I get them all saved on a disc it's easier for me to look at them all at oncerather thanjumping around from site to site. I am a freelance designer and working on my collection so all I pretty much do now is research design and flats on Illustrator. I am going to be archiving little by littlefor the next week or so and I will let you all know what I get through with.[/quote]

Yeah, I will surely miss Parsons, Cooper Union, and NYU libraries when I leave. Hopefully there is some kind of an alumni card that grants library access.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• JaridRose
                        • Jan 2007

I went to Fidm in Los Angeles...we still have access to most of the things as alumni except the trend reports and Visionaires (they have ALL the box sets) are for current students only. They are pretty anal about that stuff. Iwould thinkCooper has an awesome library. I should be done scanning Street (margiela) soon...

Comment

• fixoid
                          • Sep 2006

add me on soulseek, I am fixoid on there.

I remember downloading stuff from servo2000 in the past, how odd.

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

[quote user="fixoid"]

add me on soulseek, I am fixoid on there.

I remember downloading stuff from servo2000 in the past, how odd.

[/quote]

What a small world it is!

Comment

• xcoldricex
                              • Sep 2006

yeah it'd be great to even share runway/collection photos people have saved on their HD's.

it's a pain to go through and save them one by one... and some collections aren't up anymore :(

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎