• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Prada Mens FW 07-08

I'm posting it just to blast it. She is fucking pathetic. A talentless hack who can only imitate. Raf for Jil, anyone? I hate her more than Tom Ford.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Prada Mens FW 07-08

and my favorite part of the show... makes me feel all fuzzy

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Kodak
      • Oct 2006

Those last three looks look like walking bathroom rugs.

Comment

• deuxmille
        • Nov 2006

Speechless

Comment

• Johnny
          • Sep 2006

I like it. Don't understand the hate (of her, as opposed to the company). I think this collection is quite remarkable for a mainstream international fashion brand. I know that there will be loads of plain suits and shirts etc in the shops, but it's a very experimental collection. There are some seriously weird looks, lovely colours and textures. It's the most "fashion forward" collection of Milan so far, no doubt. Raf for Jil is very weak if you ask me....it's so predictable and more than anything, extremely unflattering. Not, perhaps, more so thatthe Prada carpet jumper, butwith that, there is clearly something approaching "avant garde", in the sense of it being deliberately provocative and challenging. With Raf, the stuff is supposed to be wearable....but if I want a black suit I'd get one that wasn't falling off my shoulders and that is properly tailored. Don't want to look like a kid wearing his first suit.

Some of the pictures that haven't been posted are really interesting. I would post them up but don't know how. There are really nice mohair sweaters in orange and blue.

Comment

• sbw4224
            • Sep 2006

Johnny, I can see where you are coming from in terms of this collection being "fashion forward," but I can't help picturing the people who buy those mohair sweaters and jackets pairing them with huge D&G sunglasses, ripped jeans, long pointy shoes with cow skin, and some type of graphic t-shirt. To me, it might look edgy on the runway when the models where them, but I think the concept will be lost once Prada's customers (and I know I am stereotyping tremendously here) actually buy and reinvent the look themselves.

Comment

• macuser3of5
              • Sep 2006

^^ You could say that about *any* collection or designer, though. See Mary Kate in Rick Owens leather and bugeye glasses, etc. Or Hillary Duff cutting her Helmut Lang pants into frayed shorts (I wept), and so on.

Personally, I like the collection overall, I find it a bit kooky and slightly silly. Some of the silhouettes need work, though.

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

A fine and fair point sbw. But I think we have to judge the designer on his or her merits, no? I'm pretty sure I've seen a picture of Bonoin a carpe leather shirt. Not a good look on him. But I have one, and it's a lovely thing; I can't blame Maurizio for Bono(although I can for his crap fall-off buttons!).As a collection of clothes, and as a catwalk presentation, I find this far more interesting than endless rows of charcoal suits and coats.

Comment

• sbw4224
                  • Sep 2006

Macuser and Johnny, you both are right. I think I jumped the gun on my previous assessment, although I still can't see how those sweaters and jackets will translate into real life wear [:^)]. Albeit a personal opinion, I can't still help but thinking they are just shag carpets cut into clothes.

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

Here you go, Johnny

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

a few more

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

I like it. Don't understand the hate (of her, as opposed to the company). I think this collection is quite remarkable for a mainstream international fashion brand. I know that there will be loads of plain suits and shirts etc in the shops, but it's a very experimental collection. There are some seriously weird looks, lovely colours and textures. It's the most "fashion forward" collection of Milan so far, no doubt. Raf for Jil is very weak if you ask me....it's so predictable and more than anything, extremely unflattering. Not, perhaps, more so thatthe Prada carpet jumper, butwith that, there is clearly something approaching "avant garde", in the sense of it being deliberately provocative and challenging. With Raf, the stuff is supposed to be wearable....but if I want a black suit I'd get one that wasn't falling off my shoulders and that is properly tailored. Don't want to look like a kid wearing his first suit.

Some of the pictures that haven't been posted are really interesting. I would post them up but don't know how. There are really nice mohair sweaters in orange and blue.

[/quote]

I can't agree there, Johnny. I think this is crap - the outerwear silhouette is stolen from Raf for Jil, it's just way too obvious (and ironic, given that they owned Jil and now copy Raf's designs). The hairy stuff just looks dumb, and so do the fur coats. There is wearable art, I agree, but this is far from it. There are two ways to raise brows, a Comme one and a Willhelm/Jeremy Scott one. This is not Comme des Garcons. It maybe tries to make a statement, but it's a statement a la Bernard Willhelm, if you ask me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

I'm not quite following, Faust. Can you elaborate on that distinction you are making, between the comme statement and the bw?

I don't mind this--it's loads better than anything she's done for women lately. Kind of cute, actually.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

I'm not quite following, Faust. Can you elaborate on that distinction you are making, between the comme statement and the bw?

I don't mind this--it's loads better than anything she's done for women lately. Kind of cute, actually.

[/quote]

I think what come does is very complicated in terms of workmanship, and there are clearly built in ideas in her kooky stuff (take the FW06 with building in mens suits into womens garments). In other words, there is a certain technical excellency coupled with a concept. As for Willhelm/Scott thing - they are just screaming gaudy pop-art, not much of a concept (or definitely a used-up one), and definitely not much in terms of tailoring, experimenting, and quality.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
                              • Sep 2006

I like it too. It's a bestr collection in Milan so far imo.

Look at all the "trends" and she makes them the most interesting. Wide, long sweaters + skinny pants, and oversized macs-shirts.I like how she "plays" with colours (the red is fading into trouser from swr) and texture. The "carpet" lookscheap but fun and different. Only Prada does textures this season. Everybody else is doing plain, stiff and smooth surfaces.

She made the shiny plastic look for spring and now everybody is following.

It's very quirky for a mainstream lines (but the shiny shoeswill bea hit)

Only thing I don't like is the horizotal blocks at the top of the clothes.

EDIT: now sheshows plastic bags, "baging" everybody else who showsplastic suits:-P

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎