• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Plokhov to Versace

From WWD;

Alexandre Plokhov, who closed his six-year-old business, Cloak Designs LLC, in December, is headed to Versace SpA. He has been named a consultant "to strengthen the existing men's wear design team," a Versace spokeswoman said. He is expected to work on both the men's wear and accessories collections. The Russian-born designer was nominated for the 2006 CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year award, and received the 2005 CFDA Swarovski Perry Ellis Award for Menswear. In 2004, Plokhov tied for second place for the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Foundation Fund Award. Known for his elegant hand-tailoring, dark colors and military-style detailing, Plokhov continues to design a capsule men's wear collection for Uniqlo.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Plokhov to Versace

OMFG. Talk about selling your soul to the devil [:O] I smell Dirk Bikkembergs reloaded...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
      • Sep 2006

sigh. oh well...

Comment

• rach2jlc
        • Sep 2006

I think it could only help Versace, whose menswear since Gianni's death has been rather lackluster (that whole tacky, "sexy glam rocker" garbage just needs to go away). As well, it might help get Plokhov's name and ideas more into the open. The proof will be in the pudding, but so long as Versace doesn't restrict to the point of utter dissolution of his style and aesthetic, I think this could be a good thing. I'd love to see a new direction for Versace; I'm not a big fan of much that they do, but the items that I've had from them (mostly the original "Gianni Versace Couture" label), were actually really top notch.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]I think it could only help Versace, whose menswear since Gianni's death has been rather lackluster (that whole tacky, "sexy glam rocker" garbage just needs to go away). As well, it might help get Plokhov's name and ideas more into the open. The proof will be in the pudding, but so long as Versace doesn't restrict to the point of utter dissolution of his style and aesthetic, I think this could be a good thing. I'd love to see a new direction for Versace; I'm not a big fan of much that they do, but the items that I've had from them (mostly the original "Gianni Versace Couture" label), were actually really top notch.[/quote]

The quality of Gianni Versace Couture was indeed excellent. While I must say this often translates into ultimate tackiness, especially since Donatella's crowning, Versace's utter disregard and even downright contemptfor bourgeois good taste can be refreshing when viewed through the prism of prim and proper easy eurocentrist minimalism as fashion central diktat of recent years (decades?).

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• rach2jlc
            • Sep 2006

Exactly, Fuuma. I agree completely. While I will never be Versace's target consumer, nor will Versace ever be the staple of my wardrobe, I'm glad that they do what they do and always wish them the best of luck.They seem to be ona comeback and I'm happy to see it;a few years ago I wasn't so sure and thoughtthey were moving into Gianfranco Ferre over-licensed,too many lines, "had been" territory (even though I still like some things Ferre does as well). It seems like they've been streamlining and I hope the Plokhov move will breathe some fresh life and innovation into them, because the short answer is they can't bank much longer off of Gianni's talent. He's been gone for more than a decade and every year since then it has begun to show a little more and more. Donatella doesn't have whatever "it" was that made Gianni's thing work (something that even though I don't like the styling, I can still respect); I hope Plokhov can help the brand to find "it" again.

Comment

• Honey~Blade
              • Sep 2006

Versace should just let Alexandre do as he wishes with the menswear and slap their label over it. That would be an ideal situation. Too bad they only hired him for consultancy.

Comment

• sbw4224
                • Sep 2006

He's probably making more money now for far less work than he did at Cloak. It's bad for us, but probably good for him. Maybe he can save up now and start up another line in a few years.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="sbw4224"]He's probably making more money now for far less work than he did at Cloak. It's bad for us, but probably good for him. Maybe he can save up now and start up another line in a few years.
                  [/quote]

That's true.

As far as Versace and its place in fashion, maybe it was there in the 80's, but that is long forgotten - just like the era of Ferre and more recently Dolce & Gabbana - all they do now is put out eurotrash-wear. Romeo Gigli was the only one in my opinion who walked the fine line between sophistication and gigoloism...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]OMFG. Talk about selling your soul to the devil [:O][/quote]

i see what you did there... (:

what does a consultant do exactly?

Comment

• explicit
                      • Jan 2007

well, my hopes have been rather effectively dashed.
                      right now, i feel this move is an incredible waste of plokhov's talent.

Comment

• dzphoto
                        • Dec 2006

Checked my calendar hoping it was April 1st. Unfortunately it was not. :(

Comment

• Honey~Blade
                          • Sep 2006

Let's all be glad we have Geller's mens collection instead.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                            • Sep 2006

Personally, I think you're all being a little hasty. One of the things I like about SZ is that, generally, we're a little more objective than certain other clothing fora in being able to look at something that isn't even our own aesthetic (and Versace certainly isn't mine...nor, honestly, is Ann D or many of that ilk, even though I do respect them greatly).

With this, it doesn't make sense to me that Versace would hire a designer like Plokhov if their intent was just to put out the same old garbage, or get Plokhov to design something that then is going to be covered head-to-toe in a Medusa print. If this was the intent, they probably could have hired any number of less innovative designers.But, given the restructuring of the company and now this move, it seems to me that Versace is genuinely trying to move in a new direction. So, personally, I'm going to give them a shot and see what comes of it. It might be trashy and it might not work, but we'll see. I'm not entirely convinced that Versace is a "has been;" there is still something there that keeps me looking (even though I'm usually not sure why).

They've been moving in the "has been"direction, yes, (even though their last two or three collections have actually been pretty good) but I still think there is room for them if they can adapt themselves to the twenty-first century.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

Personally, I think you're all being a little hasty. One of the things I like about SZ is that, generally, we're a little more objective than certain other clothing fora in being able to look at something that isn't even our own aesthetic (and Versace certainly isn't mine...nor, honestly, is Ann D or many of that ilk, even though I do respect them greatly).

With this, it doesn't make sense to me that Versace would hire a designer like Plokhov if their intent was just to put out the same old garbage, or get Plokhov to design something that then is going to be covered head-to-toe in a Medusa print. If this was the intent, they probably could have hired any number of less innovative designers.But, given the restructuring of the company and now this move, it seems to me that Versace is genuinely trying to move in a new direction. So, personally, I'm going to give them a shot and see what comes of it. It might be trashy and it might not work, but we'll see. I'm not entirely convinced that Versace is a "has been;" there is still something there that keeps me looking (even though I'm usually not sure why).

They've been moving in the "has been"direction, yes, (even though their last two or three collections have actually been pretty good) but I still think there is room for them if they can adapt themselves to the twenty-first century.

[/quote]

No doubt, we will give them the benefit :-). I agree, it wouldn't make sense for them to hire Alex as a mascot - he is not a strong name (despite his prominence, Cloak was never more than a niche label). We'll hope for the best, naturally!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎