X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers

Although I am rather 'ugh' about it, it just goes to show that you can get something that looks almost identical to Thom Brownes main line for a fraction of the cost. It does seem somewhat toned down, but that's what I expected to happen. In all honesty, this is just what I thought the line would look like.

Some Womenswear
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers

You know, I hate this WASP masters-of-the-universe style, Thom Browne or not. When I see these well-bred Upper East Siders, I shudder - it makes me think of Marx, revolution, and other good things like that.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

WASP is right. It's so preppy, white, and American. Johnny is right; this tailoring stuff should really be left to the English.

Anyway, this gives me the creeps....must go read some Marx. [:P]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

This is shit...i agree Laika...there's something really creepy weird about it. I just don't get it.

Comment

• hare_raiser
          • Mar 2007

hi guys!!...my first post, great to be here..based on what i know this collection is called "black fleece"...its amazing with a lot of flannels and greayscal colors

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="hare_raiser"]hi guys!!...my first post, great to be here..based on what i know this collection is called "black fleece"...its amazing with a lot of flannels and greayscal colors
            [/quote]

Welcome. Black fleece... as opposed to golden fleece? Anyway, I feel like WASP hunting after this.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"]You know, I hate this WASP masters-of-the-universe style, Thom Browne or not. When I see these well-bred Upper East Siders, I shudder - it makes me think of Marx, revolution, and other good things like that.
              [/quote]

Yay! Can we start today? (I'll grab my supply of Molotovs...) [:D][:D]

Comment

• mesh
                • Dec 2006

I hate TB but I like a couple of things here and think he's done a great job with this collab. Far better than I was expecting.

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

You people should get a better dressed elite, these looks like glorified school uniforms and I usually like Tom Browne. :P
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

I think the third look from the top is good, especially the white jacket with the high pocket placement. I like how he took Brooks brothers and threw away practicality (those pockets are too high!!) for look, somehow I don't think the typical BB customer would approve. As stated before I'm not liking much aside from that, but I liked the powerful reactions, sometimes it's refreshing to just viscerally hate a collection, shows fashion is linked to real issues, from time to time.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]I think the third look from the top is good, especially the white jacket with the high pocket placement. I like how he took Brooks brothers and threw away practicality (those pockets are too high!!) for look, somehow I don't think the typical BB customer would approve. As stated before I'm not liking much aside from that, but I liked the powerful reactions, sometimes it's refreshing to just viscerally hate a collection, shows fashion is linked to real issues, from time to time.
                      [/quote]

You bet (mixes a Molotov cocktail and prepares to board the train to Bergdorf Goodman)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Fuuma"]I think the third look from the top is good, especially the white jacket with the high pocket placement. I like how he took Brooks brothers and threw away practicality (those pockets are too high!!) for look, somehow I don't think the typical BB customer would approve. As stated before I'm not liking much aside from that, but I liked the powerful reactions, sometimes it's refreshing to just viscerally hate a collection, shows fashion is linked to real issues, from time to time.
                        [/quote]

You bet (mixes a Molotov cocktail and prepares to board the train to Bergdorf Goodman)

[/quote]

As an aside I received my seasonnal catalogue from Harry Rosen (Bergdof equivalent; clothing for bankers, lawyers, and other people who feel very important) and there's a shoot about travel (for work, I assume) where the looks have names like "fiscal paradise" or "big contract". The whole thing is so caricatural it's hilarious.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Does it say "I-define-myself-in-terms-of-money-only?" on the front page?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Does it say "I-define-myself-in-terms-of-money-only?" on the front page?
                            [/quote]

It doesn't need to; the Rolex and Mercedes ads do it quite eloquently. I must say the Zegna ad where you see 4 young men dressed in similar suits and all reading the financial times with the caption "great minds think alike" is probably the strongest argument for nuclear holocaust I've seen in a while....

There's also a cutting edge article on the emergence of "luxury jeans", with a trip to LA where amazingly innovative brands like 7, chip&pepper, true religion, boss and versace are discussed. One of the last caption reads "From proletarian emblem to symbol of the rich and beautiful" (my translation).

Yesterday was election day in Quebec and marked the emergence of a right wing, rural/suburban party for frustrated 30-something xenephobic accountants, I'm kinda bitter today....

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Ms. Horyn weigs in (from her NYT blog)

Browne Betty

One evening many months ago I was having a drink with a guy from
                              Wall Street at the Four Seasons when, distracted by an animated group
                              of well-dressed men at the end of the bar, he said, ?They?ve just
                              finished closing a deal.? I hadn?t the faintest idea how he knew that,
                              but it struck me, suddenly, that he was right. Of course! He had
                              observed scenes like this hundreds of times. He knew there was a reason
                              for their intimate laughter because his eyes told him so.

Sometimes two plus two just equals four. The customer for Thom
                              Browne?s clothes for Brooks Brothers is not the existing customer; that
                              customer is good at arithmetic. But if Claudio del Vecchio, the chief
                              executive of Brooks, hopes to avoid having Browne?s clothes linger and
                              spoil like exotic fish among the familiar cod and perch, he will have
                              to come up with ways to promote the collection to a new customer. I had
                              the thought?and who can say when our thoughts come to us?that Brooks
                              executives and Browne are not on the same page. They may not even be in
                              the same book. Brooks scored with its wrinkle-free dress shirt. That
                              saves men and women time and laundry expense, and from looking like a
                              rag when they get off a plane. Browne, by poking his head in the
                              archives, may have taken them a step backwards. What design problem was
                              solved with this collection that is consistent with the way people live
                              and work? Or were the changes confined to the surface?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎