• Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

J.Crew celebrates "WASP style."

Doesn't get much more tasteless than this. From racked.com

http://racked.com/archives/2007/06/1...style_at_j.php

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Re: J.Crew celebrates "WASP style."

/\ i dont fully understand, this but i know it can't be good
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• ddohnggo
      • Oct 2006

wow, that is lame on so many levels.
      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Very tasteful...just what I'd expect from wannabe american elite
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

I don't understand....wtf is this book supposed to be about? What is WASP style? What is specifically anglo-saxon and/or protestant about any of this?

from fabsugar.com

"If you dream about Tory Burch flats, and follow the lives of the true NY socialites, be sure to pick up A Privileged Life: Celebrating Wasp Style,
          $26.40. Written by design expert, Susanna Salk, this book is a tribute
          to the designers and icons of the somewhat stuffy, somewhat fabulous
          style of the Wasp.

For those perplexed, think of Charlotte York from Sex and the City.
          Total Wasp. These ladies are prim and proper in both demeanor and
          style, but they love a good party and scandal. Go figure. So put on
          your cashmere cardi, pour a glass of bubbly and cozy up with designers
          like Lilly Pulitzer and Waspy legends like C.Z. Guest. Toodles!"

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Not a Sex and the City expert, but wasn't Charlotte supposed to be a JAP not a WASP? [*-)]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

A-ha! Ms.Salk is feeling culturally threatened, apparently....[:|]

From the NYT review of the book:

IN ?A Privileged Life: Celebrating WASP Style,? an unapologetically
              reverent scrapbook of the WASP experience and her own memories, Susanna
              Salk (a Milton Academy- and Vassar-educated magazine editor and
              playwright) offers a personal explanation: ?After I watched the World
              Trade Center collapse on television, I picked up an L. L. Bean catalog
              and gazed at its pages completely shell-shocked,? she writes.

?Could there still be a world where people sat on sunny docks with initialized totes eating Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies??

She
              longed for continuity and reassurance, she explains ? to ?wear safe,
              sexless clothes,? and to sink back into the comforting preppy embrace
              of no-frills cocktail hours, where there would be ?Triscuits with
              Cracker Barrel cheese and warm white wine in plastic tumblers.?

She
              is not afraid to make fun of WASP eccentricities, and even includes
              what she calls the ?only WASP joke I know.? ?Q: What did the WASP go to
              the hospital for? A: The food.? But she is serious about defending the
              virtues of WASP values, and their contribution to American culture. At
              last ? the white upper classes have a place at the table.

The pages gleam with iconic photographs of über-WASPs ? William F. Buckley,
              George Plimpton, Jackie Onassis and members of Ms. Salk?s own family ?
              and with people who, whatever their backgrounds, became emblems of WASP
              mythology: Truman Capote, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Grace Kelly and ... Téa Leoni? ?There are WASP-y WASPs who are as complex and multifaceted as un-WASP-y ones,? she argues.

Nonetheless,
              the whole point of WASPdom, in her vision, is its simplicity. One
              caption, for a portrait of an unnamed family, says it all: ?Nothing
              completes a WASP family portrait like boat sneakers and dachshunds.?

The
              book?s cover bears a portrait of C. Z. Guest, taken by the elite set?s
              photographer of choice, Slim Aarons. The book?s party is at J. Crew on
              Fifth Avenue this Wednesday. Attendance is by invitation only. If you
              have yet to receive yours, it?s printed, as is proper, on a monogrammed
              bordered correspondence card, in cursive. The dress code is ?country
              club chic optional.? Gin cocktails and tea sandwiches will be served.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ bwahahahahahaha!!!! Nothing like an L.L.Bean catalog to make you feel safe.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Not a Sex and the City expert, but wasn't Charlotte supposed to be a JAP not a WASP? [*-)]

[/quote]

No Faust--Charlotte married a Jewish guy at some point during the show and converted.....(i watched many re-runs while marooned in a small south indian town...)

You make an interesting point though--would she dress any different if she was a JAP?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

No Faust--Charlotte married a Jewish guy at some point during the show and converted.....(i watched many re-runs while marooned in a small south indian town...)

You make an interesting point though--would she dress any different if she was a JAP?

[/quote]

Aahh, Ok - I remember something Jewish or other... No, she probably wouldn't dress differently.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎